Drake 2-B Issue

  • Randy
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
      I've got a Drake 2-B that has recently developed a strange issue. The
      radio receives well and seems to work on all bands, however, the RF
      Gain control has absolutely no effect (it's always at full gain no
      matter the position of the gain control). Additionally, the RCV/STBY
      switch has no effect. Even in the STBY position, the unit keeps
      receiving. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I should
      start my troubleshooting procedure?

      Thanks for any help.

      Randy
    • Garey Barrell
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
        Randy -

        Make sure the AVC terminal on the back is NOT shorted to the GND
        terminal right next to it.

        Any difference between Fast and Slow AVC? Is the receive audio distorted?

        This is an EXTREMELY high impedance circuit, and it doesn't take much
        leakage to upset it.

        Shorted RF GAIN control, leaky cap at C69 or possibly C80.

        73, Garey - K4OAH
        Glen Allen, VA

        Drake 2-B, 4-B & C-Line Service Supplement CDs
        <www.k4oah.com>