2-B looks cool

  • William Houghton
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
      I picked up a 2-B at a garage sale price today. I didn't realize how tiny and
      cool looking they are! I'm tempted to keep it. Only bad news so far is that all
      of the xtals are missing. However, I didn't see a xtal socket position for 80m.
      I was just taking a quick look at the back where it looks like there are spaces
      for 4 or 5 xtals for the letter positions of the bandswitch and spaces for ham
      xtals seemed to start at 40m.

      Might be fun to bring this radio up.I wonder how well it would do for AM
      broadcast radio?

      73,

      Bill

    • Garey Barrell
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
        Bill -

        Imagine the impression it made when the 'good' receivers were the size of a large microwave oven and
        weighed 50 - 70 pounds!!

        The 2-B is a 'tunable IF' at the 80 M band, so no crystal required. Only three crystals are
        required to cover the original five HF bands, 11.0, 18.0 and 25.0 MHz. Cheap PC crystals will
        'work' if you adapt them to fit.

        NOT a good AM broadcast radio. Designed for SSB and CW, IF bandwidths of 3.6, 2.1 and 0.5 kHz.

        73, Garey - K4OAH
        Glen Allen, VA

        Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
        and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
        <www.k4oah.com>

        William Houghton wrote:
        > I picked up a 2-B at a garage sale price today. I didn't realize how tiny and
        > cool looking they are! I'm tempted to keep it. Only bad news so far is that all
        > of the xtals are missing. However, I didn't see a xtal socket position for 80m.
        > I was just taking a quick look at the back where it looks like there are spaces
        > for 4 or 5 xtals for the letter positions of the bandswitch and spaces for ham
        > xtals seemed to start at 40m.
        >
        > Might be fun to bring this radio up.I wonder how well it would do for AM
        > broadcast radio?
        >

        > 73,
        >
        > Bill

      • William Houghton
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
          I was going to use the word "cute" but that doesn't sound manly - hihi.
          Ah, nice that its integer xtal freq. By adapt, you're refering to the pin size
          and spacing?
          No startup issues due to series vs parallel modes, load capacitance, etc when
          using PC xtals?

          ________________________________

          William Houghton wrote:
          > I picked up a 2-B at a garage sale price today. I didn't realize how tiny and
          > cool looking they are! I'm tempted to keep it. Only bad news so far is that
          all
          > of the xtals are missing. However, I didn't see a xtal socket position for
          80m.
          > I was just taking a quick look at the back where it looks like there are
          spaces
          > for 4 or 5 xtals for the letter positions of the bandswitch and spaces for ham
          > xtals seemed to start at 40m.
          >
          > Might be fun to bring this radio up.I wonder how well it would do for AM
          > broadcast radio?
          >

          > 73,
          >
          > Bill

        • Don Cunningham
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
            Bill,
            I like to liken the 2B to the "Tonka Toys" of the era and a little before. It just "looks like a radio" to me and I have to have one in the shack even if I'm not using it. A kind gentleman that made QSL cards for me in Oklahoma City had one and a CW transmitter I can't even recall, but I can remember him making music with that pair when I would enter his shack!!! Such a sound.
            73,
            Don, WB5HAK