B-Line Service CD

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2010
      Hi Garey..

      CD came today. Thanks for the quick delivery. Now my original manuals can
      stay in the large ZipLock baggie and I can print out the working manuals.

      Now have to find someplace to buy a complete set of tubes..to have as
      backup. Going to borrow a friend's tube tester and test all the tubes...I
      suspect there are a few bad ones in the receiver as only one shows any
      filament glow or warms up. Haven't fired up the transmitter yet....want to
      bring it up on a variac...been 10 years since the radio has been on.

      I want to tear it apart and get it on the air as soon as possible, but I
      really should put the FL2100B back together first....then that legacy
      station set can be put on display.

      (It only took 36 years to get my B-Line....I know....I was in a
      rush....always in a hurry.)

      Thanks again!

      Joe Wolfe
      WA6RKN
      Reno, Nevada
    • Gary Stern
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2010
        Gee it only took me 35 years to get my Tr-4c,

        You too your time :-)

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2010
          > CD came today. Thanks for the quick delivery. Now my
          > original manuals can
          > stay in the large ZipLock baggie and I can print out the
          > working manuals.
          >
          > Now have to find someplace to buy a complete set of
          > tubes..to have as
          > backup. Going to borrow a friend's tube tester and test
          > all the tubes...I
          > suspect there are a few bad ones in the receiver as only
          > one shows any
          > filament glow or warms up. Haven't fired up the
          > transmitter yet....want to
          > bring it up on a variac...been 10 years since the radio
          > has been on.
          >
          > I want to tear it apart and get it on the air as soon as
          > possible, but I
          > really should put the FL2100B back together first....then
          > that legacy
          > station set can be put on display.
          >
          > (It only took 36 years to get my B-Line....I know....I was
          > in a
          > rush....always in a hurry.)
          >
          > Thanks again!
          >
          > Joe Wolfe
          > WA6RKN
          > Reno, Nevada

          You can check filaments with an ohm meter. That will at
          least tell you if the non-lighting tubes have open
          filaments. I suspect not, bad filaments are actually pretty
          rare. I strongly suggest checking socket resistance and if
          you don't find anything way off there measure the socket
          voltages. Tubes can be removed for the resistance
          measurements but not for voltage measurements. If you can
          come up with a set of socket extenders they will be a big
          help. Most of the voltages can be measured under the chassis
          but be very careful especially in the transmitter because of
          the high voltages.
          I also got the disc a while back. I have printed out the
          instruction manuals and Gary's manual with the photographs
          in it. I also had extra-large prints made of the schematics.
          The last are a big help because they make it easier to trace
          wiring around. A set of colored pencils will also help.
          I strongly recommend this disc to anyone who has the
          equipment even if it all works perfectly and you never
          intend to work on it. There is a lot of information there
          that you will not find anywhere else.
          Its cheap enough to get the manuals printed and bound at
          someplace like Kinko's plus they will print the large
          schematics for a couple of dollars each. The schematics on
          the disc are very high resolution and can probably be
          printed billboard size.

          --
          Richard Knoppow
          Los Angeles