Drake 2B, 20 Meter band crystal

  • querencias
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
      Have a great 2B but non-operational on 20 M - suspect the crystal, 10.5 MHz, as all other
      bands are sensitive and noisy. removed and replaced the crystal after carefully cleaning its
      pins but still no joy...

      anyone have a source for these crystals. love this receiver

      73 Grant
    • Dean Hemphill
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
        Grant,

        The stock crystal for the 20m band is 18.0 MHz. A 10.5 MHz crystal can
        be used if it is inserted in socket "C". See your manual for details.
        I happen to have an 18.0 MHz Drake 2B crystal in my parts stash. It is
        a new replacement part from International Crystal. I acquired it in a
        box-lot of crystals at a hamfest a while back. If you need it, give me
        your address and I'll send it to you.

        73,
        Dean K5DH

        --- In DrakeRadio@yahoogroups.com, "querencias" <tuquerencia@...> wrote:

        > Have a great 2B but non-operational on 20 M - suspect the crystal,
        10.5 MHz, as all other
        > bands are sensitive and noisy. removed and replaced the crystal
        after carefully cleaning its
        > pins but still no joy...
        >
        > anyone have a source for these crystals. love this receiver
        >
        > 73 Grant

      • py2xb
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2009
          Grant

          Before you replace the cristal try to replace the 6U8 Tube by another
          one or by a 6EA8. I had a similar problem with a "non working 10m
          crystal". All crystals worked but the 10m one.
          Tube replacement fixed the problem

          HNY

          Regards Fred - PY2XB

          --- In DrakeRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Hemphill" <k5dh@...> wrote:

          > Grant,
          >
          > The stock crystal for the 20m band is 18.0 MHz. A 10.5 MHz crystal can
          > be used if it is inserted in socket "C". See your manual for details.
          > I happen to have an 18.0 MHz Drake 2B crystal in my parts stash. It is
          > a new replacement part from International Crystal. I acquired it in a
          > box-lot of crystals at a hamfest a while back. If you need it, give me
          > your address and I'll send it to you.
          >
          > 73,
          > Dean K5DH
          >
          > --- In DrakeRadio@yahoogroups.com, "querencias" <tuquerencia@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Have a great 2B but non-operational on 20 M - suspect the crystal,
          > 10.5 MHz, as all other
          > > bands are sensitive and noisy. removed and replaced the crystal
          > after carefully cleaning its
          > > pins but still no joy...
          > >
          > > anyone have a source for these crystals. love this receiver
          > >
          > > 73 Grant

        • querencias
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2009
            Fred,

            thanks for the tip -I'll give it a try as soon as I can dig up the tube

            72 Grant

            --- In DrakeRadio@yahoogroups.com, "py2xb" <py2xb@...> wrote:

            > Grant
            >
            > Before you replace the cristal try to replace the 6U8 Tube by another
            > one or by a 6EA8. I had a similar problem with a "non working 10m
            > crystal". All crystals worked but the 10m one.
            > Tube replacement fixed the problem
            >
            > HNY
            >
            > Regards Fred - PY2XB

          • querencias
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 11, 2009
              Dean,

              received the crystal yesterday. A very generous act in the true spirit of HAM radio - many
              thanks.

              Unfortunatel, getting to depart the country for 4 weeks but will test the crystal when we
              return

              many thanks, 73

              Grant