Headphone jack on R-4B

  • Curt Phillips
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
      I had an R-4A for my first "General Class" receiver (w/ a T4X) from
      1970-1976. I now have an R-4B.

      I note the R-4A & R-4C had the headphone jack on the front panel,
      while the R-4B does not. Does anyone know why? It just seems strange
      that they would make the change for this one model.

      It's not important, but I'm just curious.

      73,
      Curt W4CP
      Raleigh, NC
      ARRL Life; QCWA
    • Curt Phillips

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
          Curt -

          I think they made a mistake, and corrected it! There are quite a few
          R-4Bs WITH a front panel phone jack too..... I know of two that I
          modified back in the 60's. The centerpunch mark was on the B front
          panel, ( a tiny circle,) and the hole was also present in the chassis.
          It was simply a matter of drilling the front panel for 3/8" on that
          center, mounting the new jack, and moving one wire.

          They obviously responded to customer concern and moved it back to the
          front on the C Line!

          --
          73, Garey - K4OAH
          Chicago

          Drake 2-B, B & C Line Service Supplement CDs
          <www.k4oah.com>

          Curt Phillips wrote:
          > I had an R-4A for my first "General Class" receiver (w/ a T4X) from
          > 1970-1976. I now have an R-4B.
          >
          > I note the R-4A & R-4C had the headphone jack on the front panel,
          > while the R-4B does not. Does anyone know why? It just seems strange
          > that they would make the change for this one model.
          >
          > It's not important, but I'm just curious.
          >
          > 73,
          > Curt W4CP
          > Raleigh, NC
          > ARRL Life; QCWA
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Garey Barrell
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
            One factor in Drake's favor.... A phone plug inserted in the front
            panel PHONES jack makes it a little awkward to access the RF GAIN and
            the MODE switch. This is most likely why they moved it to the side
            originally..