Re: [Dragonflylist] Hat Stiffiners

  • ULNut1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
      Happy New Year!!

      I have just glassed the hat stiffiners into the top shell and am about ready
      to make the cuts. What is the best way to make nice cuts through the shell?
      I was thinking of a fine blade in a saber saw. Any suggestions would be
      appreciated.

      The initial alignment of the canard went well, sure am glad I bought the
      Smart Level, it really makes things like this easy.

      Fred W. in cold then warm then snowy Illinois

    • dflybldr <tdhall@west.raytheon.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
        Hi Fred,

        A broken off hacksaw blade held in a pair of vise grips worked well
        for me. Make sure you make the aft cut far enough back to clear the
        aileron torque tubes.

        Good Luck, Tom in Tucson

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
          In a message dated 1/1/2003 1:20:07 PM Central Standard Time,
          tdhall@... writes:

          > Hi Fred,
          >
          > A broken off hacksaw blade held in a pair of vise grips worked well
          > for me. Make sure you make the aft cut far enough back to clear the
          > aileron torque tubes

          Hi Tom! Thanks, that is what I needed. I could try something, but if there
          is a tried and true method, then why not use it! My rear cut will be 2 1/2
          inches aft of the drag spar, which should clear the torque tubes.

          Thanks!

          Fred W. in white Illinois

        • Mike Wright
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
            Fred
            I have just installed the aileron torque tubes, and used a 2.5" distance
            from drag spar.
            My hinges sit flat on the drag spar, and had to cut down the phenolic arm
            which holds the torque tube bearing. I have just re-measured for the above
            and would suggest 2.75" to clear the tubes if installed as mine are. I need
            to relieve the rear part of the hat stringer by about a 0.5" cut.
            Hope you can use this info
            Mike
            SA
            tdhall@... writes:

            > Hi Fred,
            >
            > A broken off hacksaw blade held in a pair of vise grips worked well
            > for me. Make sure you make the aft cut far enough back to clear the
            > aileron torque tubes

            Hi Tom! Thanks, that is what I needed. I could try something, but if
            there
            is a tried and true method, then why not use it! My rear cut will be 2
            1/2
            inches aft of the drag spar, which should clear the torque tubes.

            Thanks!

            Fred W. in white Illinois

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • ULNut1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
              In a message dated 1/3/2003 2:19:01 AM Central Standard Time,
              marmic@... writes:

              > My hinges sit flat on the drag spar, and had to cut down the phenolic arm
              > which holds the torque tube bearing. I have just re-measured for the above
              > and would suggest 2.75" to clear the tubes if installed as mine are. I need
              > to relieve the rear part of the hat stringer by about a 0.5" cut.

              Ouch! I made the cuts last night. Oh well, I can always do what you did.
              I thought about doing another 1/4 inch, but thought "follow the plans".

              Thanks Mike

              Fred in cold Illinois