Vision Wax

  • David Baker
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      Guys,
      I have searched the Turtle wax website and the auto shop to look for this Vision wax. No luck. In any case, it seems to me that no matter how good it seems, I do not want a silicon polich on my plane. One day I will want to repaint it and I don't think stripping paint off a fibreglass aircraft is the way to go.
      I have use canauba wax, and have taken the wax off the leading edge of the canard and used wet&dry paper, but I would like to know more about this Rain X car wash. If it helps to sheet water it coiuld be just what is needed.
      Anyone got more info??
      Dave Baker
      Australia
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
        David
        Did a Yahoo search to find the report on Turtle wax being used to
        improve the performance of a Mooney it is in post#8096. That's why
        the question to OSD if he used the technique on his DF.Wonder if it's
        a new product still under development or discontinued?
        CE in SS

        --- In Dragonflylist@y..., "David Baker" <drbaker@n...> wrote:
        > Guys,
        > I have searched the Turtle wax website and the auto shop to look
        for this Vision wax. No luck. In any case, it seems to me that no
        matter how good it seems, I do not want a silicon polich on my plane.
        One day I will want to repaint it and I don't think stripping paint
        off a fibreglass aircraft is the way to go.
        > I have use canauba wax, and have taken the wax off the leading edge
        of the canard and used wet&dry paper, but I would like to know more
        about this Rain X car wash. If it helps to sheet water it coiuld be
        just what is needed.
        > Anyone got more info??
        > Dave Baker
        > Australia

        Service.

      • oneskydog@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
          In a message dated 10/1/2002 8:15:04 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
          dfwsfug@... writes:

          > David
          > Did a Yahoo search to find the report on Turtle wax being used to
          > improve the performance of a Mooney it is in post#8096. That's why
          > the question to OSD if he used the technique on his DF.Wonder if it's
          > a new product still under development or discontinued?
          > CE in SS

          Dave CE and all,

          The Roncze reported comment was in 1996 I could not find Vision either:

          "At Oshkosh ‘96, when asked about such an effect, laminar flow expert John
          Roncz suggested a flight test of one of the newer polymer waxes. The wax
          chosen for these tests was “Vision” Advanced Auto Polish manufactured by
          Turtle Wax, Inc., P.O. Box 547, Chicago, Illinois. 60638-6211. This wax
          claims to utilize a
          “patented 3M Acrylic Silicone Fluoropolymer (A.S.F.) Barrier Technology.”
          Other information provided by the manufacturer is “. . .A.S.F. is a ‘smart’
          polymer that aligns itself on the car’s finish. As the polish is applied, the
          acrylic fluoropolymer chain rotates until it adheres to the finish.. . Vision
          also contains a
          revolutionary combination of ingredients that actually sheets water and
          virtually eliminates water spots.” The effect of water “sheeting” rather
          than beading on a wing surface may be important to the drag behavior of
          certain
          laminar flow sections when flying in rain. In addition, alterations of pitch
          trim on a canard-equipped aircraft flying in rain may depend upon whether
          the rain sheets rather than beads upon the canard surfaces."

          I looked for products that promote sheeting and do not contain Canauba wax. I
          used "Aurie" polymer wax and Rain X car wash product that promotes sheeting.
          I also block sanded with 600 grit. I do not promote this as a solution to the
          GU issues just reporting that it seems to do something towards the good side,
          but I still do not go looking for rain.

          Regards,

          One Sky Dog