update from the dark side

  • Aurigema, Andrew N
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 9:27 AM
      Hey guys,

      My Raptor is flying great and just thought you might want to see what I have
      been up to. About 2000 ft AGL so far :_))))))

      http://www.angelfire.com/on/dragonflyaircraft/flightdata.html
      <http://www.angelfire.com/on/dragonflyaircraft/flightdata.html>

      Drew in soggy Fl.
    • Terrence O'Neill
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 4:28 PM
        Congrats. The Raptor looks great in the air.
        May I ask how much your CG is putting on the canard, and on the wing? Y'
        gots t' have surplus lift avail on the rear wing, as you know, to recover at
        the stall, when the center of lift shifts from 25% back to 50%.
        Be cautious, ol Bud. And enjoy.
        Terr
        > My Raptor is flying great and just thought you might want to see what I
        have
        > been up to. About 2000 ft AGL so far :_))))))
        >
        > http://www.angelfire.com/on/dragonflyaircraft/flightdata.html
        > <http://www.angelfire.com/on/dragonflyaircraft/flightdata.html>
        >

        > Drew in soggy Fl.

      • Aurigema, Andrew N
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2 9:03 AM
          Terry,

          Yesterday I had 40 lbs of salt along for the ride. My gross should have
          been 1440 lbs at 39.25" (your 63.25" location). I am running a 61 / 39 lift
          ratio, so that would have put about 983 lb over the canard and the rest over
          the aft wing.

          Safety first : I am rigged very "overlift potential" on the aft wing. I
          tried my first stall test and discovered that at 80 mph I ran the plane out
          of elevator. The full 16 degrees of elevator deployment was needed to pull
          the nose up to 8 degrees AOA. The reflexors change this significantly, but
          for these first test, they are not being used. They are my safety net.
          Sending the ailerons down will drop the nose 4 degrees with the touch of a
          button. It is comforting thought.

          Drew in soggy Fl.

        • schumpa@juno.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3 7:43 AM
            Drew,

            Awesome photos. I see now why you put so many boat parts into the plane.
            You need to consider making the landing gear ejectable for emergency
            landing in our area.

            Paul in waterless Denver

            On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:27:27 -0400 "Aurigema, Andrew N"
            <aurigean@...> writes:
            Hey guys,

            My Raptor is flying great and just thought you might want to see what I
            have
            been up to. About 2000 ft AGL so far :_))))))

            http://www.angelfire.com/on/dragonflyaircraft/flightdata.html
            <http://www.angelfire.com/on/dragonflyaircraft/flightdata.html>

            Drew in soggy Fl.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor