RE: [Dragonflylist] My site is back up

  • Aurigema, Andrew N
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1 9:09 AM
      Good looking site, Jon.

      I am thinking that ol Thor is looking a bit thin......... but the rest of
      the site is phat with good stuff.

      Drew in sunny Fl.

      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 1 9:49 AM
        Very nice, John. Are you using the same host ad Pat?

        --- Jon & Laurel Crawford <lcrawford1@...> wrote:
        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > My site is finally back up and running. Sorry to those who were
        > waiting,
        > and I hope that it might help some of you who may not have been there
        > before.
        >
        > www.joncrawford.com
        >
        > And, as always, questions and constructive criticism are always
        > welcome.
        >
        > Jon

        http://greetings.yahoo.com/
      • Owen Strawn
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 1 9:51 AM
          Pat,
          What is the status of your gear leg design? Do you consider it proven
          yet? Are the drawings available? Any Idea what a fair price to have
          them made up would be?
          Thanks!
          Owen

          http://greetings.yahoo.com/
        • Patrick Panzera
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 1 9:58 AM
            Owen Strawn wrote:

            > Very nice, John. Are you using the same host ad Pat?

            Yes he is.

            http://www.I1internet.com/

            Can't beat the service nor price for hosting,
            but for registering a domain:

            http://www.eyeondomain.com/

            Pat
          • Patrick Panzera
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 1 10:01 AM
              Owen Strawn wrote:

              > Pat,
              > What is the status of your gear leg design? Do you consider it proven
              > yet? Are the drawings available? Any Idea what a fair price to have
              > them made up would be?

              Actually the blokes down under give it a thumbs down. :(
              They have the only real time on the design as I drew it,
              but Chris is having no problems with his, which mine is
              a knock-off of.

              Pat
            • David Baker
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 1 3:58 PM
                Pat & Owen,
                Actually, not a thumbs down, just a caution. The steel spring leg is great,
                I probably wish I had chosen one a little less stiff, i.e., a bit springier,
                maybe off a lighter pickup or van. The gooseneck part bent and twisted under
                operational loads. That could be the fault of the welder and could be
                remedied by having the gooseneck made of 4130 or similar high carbon steel.
                I believe that you can buy spring steel in an annealed state, shape and weld
                it, then get it heat treated. That might be the way to go as long as the leg
                is springy enough to take the shocks.
                My wheel gear is working beautifully and a photo can be seen in the files. I
                have landed it on rough grass several times and it handles that OK. The only
                shortcoming might be the size of the wheeel fairings I will have to build.
                At the moment, my wheels are the shape of air brakes.
                Dave Baker
                "a bloke from down under"

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 1 4:11 PM
                  David Baker wrote:

                  > Pat & Owen,
                  > Actually, not a thumbs down, just a caution. The steel spring leg is
                  > great,
                  > I probably wish I had chosen one a little less stiff, i.e., a bit
                  > springier,
                  > maybe off a lighter pickup or van. The gooseneck part bent and twisted
                  > under
                  > operational loads.

                  Side loads from dodging Wallabies and Kangaroos no doubt.
                  The gear was never intended for such abuse.

                  Pat :)
                • owenstrawn@kscable.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 1 4:41 PM
                    OK. Has anybody ever heard any complaints about Don's twistie gear?
                    Looks like it might be lighter, but maybe people are afraid of it
                    because they don't have blacksmith skills? Any drawings available, Don?
                    Thanks!
                    Owen

                  • owenstrawn@kscable.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 1 4:41 PM
                      WRT the MKII gear boxes, I don't see anything in the plans about
                      tapering the channel-to-channel spacing, but I could swear I saw it
                      somewhere. Does anybody remember anything about this?
                      Thanks!
                      Owen
                    • oneskydog@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 1 9:09 PM
                        In a message dated 4/1/2002 5:44:19 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                        owenstrawn@... writes:

                        > WRT the MKII gear boxes, I don't see anything in the plans about
                        > tapering the channel-to-channel spacing, but I could swear I saw it
                        > somewhere. Does anybody remember anything about this?
                        > Thanks!
                        > Owen

                        Owen I know that the bottom is thicker than the top. It is a slight angle,
                        but I cannot lay my hands on a number. this spreads the load over the gear
                        box instead of putting the retaining bolt in shear with the whole load.

                        Regards,

                        One Sky Dog

                      • Graeme Davey
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 2 4:36 AM
                          oneskydog@... wrote:

                          > In a message dated 4/1/2002 5:44:19 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                          > owenstrawn@... writes:
                          >
                          > > WRT the MKII gear boxes, I don't see anything in the plans about
                          > > tapering the channel-to-channel spacing, but I could swear I saw it
                          > > somewhere. Does anybody remember anything about this?
                          > > Thanks!
                          > > Owen
                          > >

                          > Owen I know that the bottom is thicker than the top. It is a slight angle,
                          > but I cannot lay my hands on a number. this spreads the load over the gear
                          > box instead of putting the retaining bolt in shear with the whole load.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > One Sky Dog

                          I don't think there was a specific number given , just allow aprox 1/16 inch
                          wider at the bottom, to make removal easier
                          Suprisingly, there is very little load forcing the leg up into the gear box
                          because of the angle back on the leg ,
                          The landing forces are more back rather than up. the gear leg never seems to
                          be really jammed in there.
                          Graeme in Aust.
                        • Paul Zimmermann
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 2 4:56 AM
                            Owen,

                            I agree! When I was building the gear boxes, it did
                            say to build them at an angle. I would imagine it was
                            to wedge them into place!

                            Paul Zimmermann

                            skydog@... wrote

                            > In a message dated 4/1/2002 5:44:19 PM Mountain
                            Standard Time,
                            > owenstrawn@... writes:
                            >

                            > > WRT the MKII gear boxes, I don't see anything in
                            the plans about
                            > > tapering the channel-to-channel spacing, but I
                            could swear I saw it
                            > > somewhere. Does anybody remember anything about
                            this?
                            > > Thanks!
                            > > Owen
                            > >

                            > Owen I know that the bottom is thicker than the top.
                            It is a slight angle,
                            > but I cannot lay my hands on a number. this spreads
                            the load over the gear
                            > box instead of putting the retaining bolt in shear
                            with the whole load.

                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > One Sky Dog

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            Paul A. Zimmermann
                            Texas A&M University
                            Class of '73
                            Gig 'Em Aggies
                            (972) 279-5020
                          • DorotheaKeats and ChrisWalterson
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 2 5:52 AM
                              Dave , Pat and Owen------- The gear works well if built according to
                              plans. For the gooseneck you need a strong steel. I used T-4.
                              recomended by a welder. The spring itself works well and to get a bit
                              more spring you shorten the top of the spring , not the bottom. I have
                              had no problems at all on mine at all and would highly recommend the
                              steal landing gear. Just my 2 cents.--------- 1.3 Canadian. Canada
                              Chris
                            • DorotheaKeats and ChrisWalterson
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 2 5:57 AM
                                Owen ----The gear box should be made about 1/16 smaller at the top
                                than the bottom. Taper the gear leg he same This is to prevent the gear
                                from slidding through the top of the canard.
                              • Don Stewart
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 2 8:39 AM
                                  Twistie Steel gear legs have been at for some time:
                                  http://www.si-inc.com/dragonfly/gearlegs/
                                  Don
                                  AZ

                                  owenstrawn@... wrote:

                                  > OK. Has anybody ever heard any complaints about Don's twistie gear?
                                  > Looks like it might be lighter, but maybe people are afraid of it
                                  > because they don't have blacksmith skills? Any drawings available, Don?
                                  > Thanks!
                                  > Owen
                                  >
                                  > > Pat & Owen,
                                  > > Actually, not a thumbs down, just a caution. The steel spring leg is great,
                                  > > I probably wish I had chosen one a little less stiff, i.e., a bit springier,
                                  > > maybe off a lighter pickup or van. The gooseneck part bent and twisted under
                                  > > operational loads. That could be the fault of the welder and could be
                                  > > remedied by having the gooseneck made of 4130 or similar high carbon steel.
                                  > > I believe that you can buy spring steel in an annealed state, shape and weld
                                  > > it, then get it heat treated. That might be the way to go as long as the leg
                                  > > is springy enough to take the shocks.
                                  > > My wheel gear is working beautifully and a photo can be seen in the files. I
                                  > > have landed it on rough grass several times and it handles that OK. The only
                                  > > shortcoming might be the size of the wheeel fairings I will have to build.
                                  > > At the moment, my wheels are the shape of air brakes.
                                  > > Dave Baker
                                  > > "a bloke from down under"

                                • Owen Strawn
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 2 9:21 AM
                                    Thanks, Don - I guess I just skimmed over the dimensions in the text.
                                    Do you know of many users?
                                    Owen

                                    --- Don Stewart <siinc@...> wrote:
                                    > Twistie Steel gear legs have been at for some time:
                                    > http://www.si-inc.com/dragonfly/gearlegs/
                                    > Don
                                    > AZ
                                    >
                                    > owenstrawn@... wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > OK. Has anybody ever heard any complaints about Don's twistie gear?
                                    > > Looks like it might be lighter, but maybe people are afraid of it
                                    > > because they don't have blacksmith skills? Any drawings available,
                                    > Don?
                                    > > Thanks!
                                    > > Owen

                                    http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                  • David Baker
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 2 3:58 PM
                                      Chris,
                                      Using steel like T4 makes a lot of sense. I think that the design is
                                      inherently good, I just stuffed up by assuming that the guy who plasma cut
                                      the steel for me understood that I wanted something of that hardness.
                                      Apparently he gave it to his apprentice to do and the result was a failure.
                                      Quality control is essential.
                                      My present fix for the problem is working well so i will probably stick with
                                      it for now.
                                      Dave Baker

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 2 4:07 PM
                                        David Baker wrote:

                                        > Chris,
                                        > Using steel like T4 makes a lot of sense. I think that the design is
                                        > inherently good, I just stuffed up by assuming that the guy who plasma
                                        > cut
                                        > the steel for me understood that I wanted something of that hardness.
                                        > Apparently he gave it to his apprentice to do and the result was a
                                        > failure.
                                        > Quality control is essential.

                                        I just checked the plans, no hardness is specified.
                                        I'll fix that.

                                        Pat
                                      • John Kunz
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 2 11:27 PM
                                          Do you know of many users?
                                          Owen

                                          Justin Mace uses these gear legs. He has flown way over gross routinely. He says they work great.
                                          John Kunz

                                        • owenstrawn
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 3 5:31 AM
                                            Don, is that just spring steel flat stock, or is it curved like a leaf
                                            spring?
                                            Owen

                                            --- In Dragonflylist@y..., Don Stewart <siinc@g...> wrote:
                                            > Twistie Steel gear legs have been at for some time:
                                            > http://www.si-inc.com/dragonfly/gearlegs/
                                            > Don
                                            > AZ
                                          • Don Stewart
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 3 8:04 AM
                                              It is flat stock, untreated. We told the spring company that we were
                                              fabricating a prototype trailer suspension system. When the twisting and
                                              drilling and cutting and tweaking was finished, the two legs went back
                                              to the spring company where they heat treated the "springs" (6-8 hour
                                              operation of heat/quench in oil/repeat). The initial cost of the raw
                                              stock include the heat-treating process when we were through bending and
                                              drilling.

                                              Note that after treating, there is no opportunity for camber caster
                                              adjustment. We mounted the legs in the DF BEFORE heat-treating, weighted
                                              the seats, fueled it up, and checked the camber (0 degrees) and toe-out
                                              (1 degree) UNDER LOAD.

                                              Adjustments were made by removing the gearleg, chucking it back into the
                                              vise, heating the bend spot cherry red with a torch and adjusting the
                                              bend with two crescent wrenches (as described in the article at the
                                              website), cooling the leg, reinstalling and measuring camber/toeout
                                              again.

                                              For what it's worth, the first set of new legs was fabbed during a
                                              holiday weekend, so we tried to heat-treat our handiwork ourselves with
                                              a torch and cooling liquid (I want to say peanut oil, but I think it was
                                              water). Don't waste your gas or energies duplicating that effort.
                                              Another replacement set was bent and drilled, then went directly to the
                                              spring shop for heat treating after the holiday weekend.

                                              Also FYI, it is true that the bends are the weak link of the gear-leg
                                              system. But that is how it should be. My original twist gear leg folded
                                              right at the twist during side loading in a ground loop at 60-something
                                              from a broken tailwheel bell-crank. The gear looked ugly, but saved the
                                              canard from erasing itself on the runway or dragging itself through the
                                              marbles. I'm sold on this design.

                                              Don
                                              AZ
                                              "The above information is for educational purposes only. No warranty,
                                              expressed or implied as to the suitability to any specific application."

                                              owenstrawn wrote:

                                              > Don, is that just spring steel flat stock, or is it curved like a leaf
                                              > spring?
                                              > Owen
                                              >
                                              > --- In Dragonflylist@y..., Don Stewart <siinc@g...> wrote:
                                              > > Twistie Steel gear legs have been at for some time:
                                              > > http://www.si-inc.com/dragonfly/gearlegs/
                                              > > Don
                                              > > AZ

                                            • Don Stewart
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 3 8:15 AM
                                                I think there were 5 original sets in the AZ club several years ago.
                                                Other than Justin in Tucson, I think Larry Brown in Scottsdale is
                                                running on them. The remaining 2 sets went on flying planes that I have
                                                since lost track of.

                                                Three years back, David B landed his DF at Ottawa and ground-looped when
                                                he ran out of runway. He had (I think) the Laribee Truck Spring style
                                                steel gear leg. When it side loaded, nothing on the gearleg gave way, so
                                                the entire gearleg rotated around the retaining bolt and sliced through
                                                gear box in the canard. Fortunately the slicing action did not reach the
                                                spar, so the field repair on Sunday went pretty smoothly and he left for
                                                home (uneventfully).

                                                The point is, even the glas gear leg has a weak point designed-in, to
                                                give way with excessive sideloading in order to save the canard.

                                                Owen Strawn wrote:

                                                > Thanks, Don - I guess I just skimmed over the dimensions in the text.
                                                > Do you know of many users?
                                                > Owen
                                                >
                                                > --- Don Stewart <siinc@...> wrote:
                                                > > Twistie Steel gear legs have been at for some time:
                                                > > http://www.si-inc.com/dragonfly/gearlegs/
                                                > > Don
                                                > > AZ
                                                > >
                                                > > owenstrawn@... wrote:
                                                > > >
                                                > > > OK. Has anybody ever heard any complaints about Don's twistie gear?
                                                > > > Looks like it might be lighter, but maybe people are afraid of it
                                                > > > because they don't have blacksmith skills? Any drawings available,
                                                > > Don?
                                                > > > Thanks!
                                                > > > Owen

                                              • dflybldr
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 3 9:16 AM
                                                  Here is a link to some recent photos of a couple sets made here in
                                                  Tucson. I think there was about a total of 4hrs invested in the fab
                                                  of both sets. The general process was that in the instructions on
                                                  Don's page. Stock was a little smaller. Just make sure you drill the
                                                  holes BEFORE they are hardened.

                                                  Look in the Steel Gear Legs photo folder.

                                                  Tom in Tucson

                                                  --- In Dragonflylist@y..., Owen Strawn <owenstrawn@k...> wrote:
                                                  > Pat,
                                                  > What is the status of your gear leg design? Do you consider it
                                                  proven
                                                  > yet? Are the drawings available? Any Idea what a fair price to have
                                                  > them made up would be?
                                                  > Thanks!
                                                  > Owen

                                                  > http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                                                • Mike Wright
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 3 11:05 AM
                                                    In the videos supplied with the plans.
                                                    Taper by using a toothpick or nail when molding the flox part of the upper
                                                    leg in the box.
                                                    Mike Wright
                                                    South Africa

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 3 6:02 PM
                                                      Thanks all!
                                                      Owen
                                                    • propellerhead3
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jun 9, 2004
                                                        How much heavier are the steel gear legs compared with fibreglass ones?