Re: [Dragonflylist] Wanted to buy - Canard

  • Phil Christiansen
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hi Chad,
      That might make my decision a lot easier.  Let's talk.  Can you send me pictures of both the canards offline so I can kind of get an idea what you have?  If I understand it, you have:

      1)  A Mark I canard that is in glass but no filler or paint.   This canard has had the wheel pants removed but no tip ends made yet.  Does it have the elevators to go with it and/or the elevator control surface foam and thimbles, etc glassed in yet?  This canard has the anhedral form.  Does it have the newer carbon fiber spar layup schedule?
      2)  A Mark II canard that has previously flown which is now still in paint?  Does it have elevators that would go with it?  It too is anhedral in design.  Do you know if it had the newer carbon fiber spar layup schedule?  Not sure what you meant by a design which you haven't seen before.  Maybe pictures could give me a better idea what you meant by this.  Since it is a Mark II with an anhedral, can I assume it was a Mark I to Mark II conversion?  If so, was the construction done correctly as far as installing the gear boxes under the spar cap without cutting it (like mine unfortunately was done)?

      Just curious too if you might have a finished wing to go with the Mark II canard?  I think mine is fine, but I might consider the pair while I'm at it?

      Can you send me pictures offline and a price for either canard?  After I get a look at them we can talk about the pickup process.  Here is my email address:
      rxforfun51@...    Look forward to hearing from you.

      Phil

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
        the canard with the paint and has flown has the wheel pants attached to the canard odirectly there is no gear leg visible it looks strange and I will remove them if this is the one I keep it also will need a good inspection as I don't know much about it and have only seen pictures the other just glass no Finnish is in my barn up stairs and looks to be in excellent condition I did not build it it came with my project but after inspecting it and going threw all the documentation from the previous owner of this unfinished project i have no question about its quality this guy did the job right  but it does not included the control surfaces  I would think you should have these on your current bird i am  sure both of these canards are the old lay up  the new layup does not usually have the anhedral because most people don't build the Mark I in alter years in this case the owner was going to build a trigear dfly so no need for the anhedral the canard it
        would not have had it if it was the new lay up this project was started in 83 so the new lay up had not come out yet the other canard with paint is an 87 dfly also probably built around the same time i can send pics of the one in glass but i wont be able to send pics of the other until i get it back to Vermont

        Thanks chad

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
          For what it's worth, the canard I have available is the flat-bottomed MKII,
          with the gear boxes installed. It's completely glassed but the elevator
          hinges and fairings are not installed, nor are the wingtips. It comes with a
          set of elevators that are 100% (painted).

          It was built after the MKI canard failed after a hard landing, potentially
          several hundred hours into the aircraft's life. The builder got tired of the
          project after he sent his engine out to be repaired and never got it back...
          except in pieces.

          The entire plane and engine was donated to CONTACT! Magazine several years
          ago. I've been trying (albeit not very hard) to sell the entire airframe for
          $2500, but at this point I may as well part it out. The wing is really nice,
          although the wingtips are a little odd. The canopy is a deep green, but
          potentially scratched beyond repair.