Re: Dragonfly Mk III new to the list

  • dflybldr
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 6, 2010
      Hi Terry,

      I will try and answer these as best I can. Most of the "drawings" are actually newsletters. I have to thumb through them to get the actual numbers.

      Before I cover the other mods I wanted to bring up the "elevator" mod. Reference DBFN no 42 July August 1992. It is the one that tightens up the elevator control system greatly reducing the change of flutter. DBFN covers the faring you need to make to fill where the elevator was shortened.

      The Aircraft Spruce rudder pedal mod is based on newsletter article in newsletter no. 16 in the fall of 1884. The drawing is on page 3. It was a revision that updated the original plans version when they built the MKII prototype. (I assume). Anyway, I modified the drawing to accommodate rudder pedals available from ACS (P/N A-1260 ACS P/N 06-00392). You can use any pedals you want but these were reasonably priced. I used the Cleveland style toe brake master cylinders (P/N 10-20 ACS P/N P/N 06-01211) with an external reservoir. Use what ever mfgr or style your budget allows. It's probably easier to build new tubes than to modify old ones. Your choice. I don't know if there was a news letter that shows the master cylinder install bracket but they are just tabs welded to the bottom of torque tube. Mine are not attached to canard. I will post some photos when I find my camera cable.

      Reflexor ...

      DBFN No. 34 March 1991. Pages 4 and 5. I used a throttle cable to adjust. Adjustments are very small so be careful with electric motor driven adjusters and make sure you install stops. Things can happen very fast. (Hi Drew !!)
      Maybe someone has pictures.

      More as time allows.

      --- In Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com, Terry Adams <terrywadams@...> wrote:

      > Tom,
      > I would appreciate some details on a few of the modifications you have
      > on your DF.
      >
      > 11. Drivers side ACS rudder pedals and Cleveland master cylinders.
      > Photo, part numbers, drawing
      >
      > 14. Manual Reflexor and servo trim tabs.
      > Photo, details, part drawing, how did you incorporate it into the
      > aileron linkage
      >
      > 17. Forward facing aileron bell cranks to eliminate monkey motion changers.
      > What? Please share the details
      >
      > 20. Access cover installed in forward fuselage cover.
      > How big, dimensions? Where? How did you stiffen the deck, secure
      > the lid, hinge, how did you cut it out?
      >
      > 25. Conduits installed in canard for Nav/Strobe lights and brake lines.
      > Was this during construction? If a retro-fit how did you do it,
      > is this in the elevator fairing? What diameter and material did you use
      > for the conduit?
      >
      > Thank you
      > Terry Adams
      > N41521 DF MkI
      > KSCK

    • Mcnamara, Patrick E Mr CIV USA IMCOM
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 7, 2010
        Good morning,

        I am looking for an complete inexpensive ELT, does not have to be latest
        and greatest.

        Thanks

        Pat
      • Steve Madsen
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 7, 2010
          Try this one.The 450 is suitable for experimental, only 149., and is also a personel locator with the included external antenna, runs on duracell d's
            Steve

          http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/elt_ameriking.html

          I am looking for an complete inexpensive ELT, does not have to be latest
          and greatest.

          Thanks

          Pat

        • Letempt, Jeffrey A CIV USA
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 7, 2010
            Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
            Caveats: NONE

            Steve - This $149 unit is not a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB), but just an ELT that can be removed from the aircraft and carried by the crew. It still just uses the 121.5/243.0 technology.

            Pat - question would be what are you hoping to get out of the ELT? If you are doing it only to meet the regulatory requirement, I would certainly go with a cheapie that meets the requirements. If you are doing it for your own personal safety in the event of an accident, I would spend a little more money and buy a 406 unit. In 2009 when they stopped supporting the COSPAS-SARSAT satellite system it basically restricted locating of ELT's to ground based systems....and the accuracy of these systems is not very precise. Where the new systems will get you to a small search area (<100 yards if GPS enabled), the old systems may get you within a few miles of the crash site if you are lucky. Another major concern of the older systems is the number of false alarms. My plane has an old ACK 121.5/243.0 ELT and meets the regulatory requirements.

            http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/emerbcns.html

            Jeff

            http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/elt_ameriking.html <blockedhttp://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/elt_ameriking.html>

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 7, 2010
              Pat,
              If it is for personal safety, I would spend about $200, obtain a simple
              limited ham radio license (easy), and go APRS. It gives GPS location
              accuracy, a real time flight trail, but......doesn't satisfy the FAA.

              Terry
              N41521
              KSCK

              On 12/7/2010 8:49 AM, Mcnamara, Patrick E Mr CIV USA IMCOM wrote:

              > Good morning,
              >
              > I am looking for an complete inexpensive ELT, does not have to be latest
              > and greatest.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Pat

            • Steve Madsen
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 8, 2010
                Sorry Jeff and guys. The book reads like this doubles as a personal locator beacon.I installed one in a hawk arrow11.FAA was fine with it upon ELSA registration upgrade inspection.  But like you say,satisfy requirements or be found in the case of emergency. (cheap or safe).Thanks for pointing that out. I was just going to install one of those in my Dfly but a few extra bucks spent once could be the diff in being found soon enough or them finding the bodies.
                   Steve.

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 14, 2010
                  Group,

                  Just spoke with Great Plains about the aluminum fly wheel and generator. He said that the problem is the dissimilar metals cause the fly wheel to come loose and if checked and retighten during the annual the problem will be solved.

                  Comments please, if necessary what is the alternative and is there one out there for sale?

                  Thanks

                  Pat
                • veldragon@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 14, 2010
                    My flywheel cracked around the bolt holes, all but one.
                    The better solution for me was putting a pulley on the back of engine
                    and driving a real alt.

                    Chuck N88CU

                  • Draagunfly
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 14, 2010
                      If you are talking about the HAPI aluminum flywheel, they tend to get cracks between the bolt holes.
                      To "check" the flywheel at annual would entail the complete removal of the engine from the plane & then the removal of the accessory case and attachments from the engine. I think this will get old real quick. Just buy the steel flywheel from Great plains. You will need their alternator kit also and as I remember some slight machining of the accessory case. If you do it, BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT ANY BOLTS THAT PASS THROUGH THE ACCESSORY CASE! if you use the same bolts as were on the HAPI, one or more will contact the magnet wheel inside the flywheel & wipe it out! Been there, done that! A several hundred dollar lesson.
                      Richard in Chino

                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 14, 2010
                        Chuck,

                        Looking for ideas, could you send me some information? I looked at newsletter 74.

                        Thanks

                        Pat

                        --- In Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com, veldragon@... wrote:

                        > My flywheel cracked around the bolt holes, all but one.
                        > The better solution for me was putting a pulley on the back of engine
                        > and driving a real alt.
                        >
                        > Chuck N88CU

                      • d_doerhoff
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 15, 2010
                          Pat,
                          When you were at our fly-in last summer, I mentioned replacing my engine, because of this problem. I don't have the flywheel anymore, but it only had about 1/2" of metal still holding it together. The general concensus was that with the Hapi flywheel, it wasn't a matter of "if" but "when" it would fail. I'm just glad that mine didn't fail during the 400 mile trip I just completed.
                          I bought the new engine from Great Plains. I sent my accessory case to them for machining, and installation of the alternator, which was done by Dan Diehl. I'm really happy with it...I just wish I had time to fly it.

                          Mark your calendar for June 4th...our annual fly-in.

                          Darrell Mk1 N115DP
                          no school in TZV again today due to snow

                        • veldragon@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 15, 2010
                            I have some pics but dont know where thay are.
                            Will look for them

                            chuck N88CU