Re: [Dragonflylist] FOD 2010

  • John Wilson
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2010
      Still have a long way to go but im covering the skin with super fill ,also have
      a center stick control,what im looking for is close up photos of how the
      elevator hooks to the wing and to the center console and same for the ailerons.

      ________________________________
      From: John Wilson <jwwilson65@...>
      To: Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 7:00 PM

      Phil i have a df that im building which is also a trigear,not to knowledge on

      how the controls hook up could you help with pics

      ________________________________

      From: Steve Madsen <stevorotor@...>

      To: Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 11:19 PM

       Hi all

         I have been following the DF page for a while now and will be picking up my

      new almost done DF next weekend. I am sad to hear that the DF flyers/builders

      seem to be waning. I love the look and the numbers of the fly. I will be looking

      forward to help breathe some life back into the Dragonfly community. I also will

      need to impose on those of you who do fly currently to give guidance and

      hopefully some time in a DF, and my test flights with any luck next summer or

      fall. Please give a call if you have a currently flying DF so I can pick your

      brains RE: whats best. Thank you

         Steve Madsen

         1- 414-610-2715.

      Date: Sunday, September 26, 2010, 8:03 AM

      Hello all listers,

      I am posting from the 20th annual FOD fly-in. It seems that the once

      vibrant builders and fliers group is on the skids.

      Seven Q's came and a few builders showed up for a total of apx 20 people.

      No Dragonflies from anywhere. I am in the wiring and final assembly phase

      of my Dragonfly build and hope to have a DAR inspection before the end of

      the year. Bob hopes to finish his flight certificate requirements this year.

      With luck there will be 2 new Dragonflies at the 2011 FOD from Utah.

      It looks like Beatrice NE will be the location, the organizers are looking

      for ideas that would appeal to the list members for activities at the

      fly-in.

      Is anyone on the list building or flying Dragonflies? I have heard from a

      couple of people that are building and am wondering if that is all of the

      builders left?

      Well we all have had a good time at the fly-in seeing old friends and

      looking at airplanes and of course hanger flying.

      Reporting from BIE

      One Sky Dog

    • goudard.jf.expert@wanadoo.fr
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2010
        Hello everyone,
        I would like to bring to your attention an important information that can
        only be useful for this purpose to clarify that I am sorry to contradict
        you, but the landing gear on the Mk3 was not designed by Jeff. It has been
        studied by Mr. Soule then constructed for the transformation of his Mk2 Mk3
        tricycle. Distribution plans or drawings has been authorized by its French
        designer Philippe SOULAS, one of the first to build the Dragonfly Mk1
        version in Europe in 1985/1986. It is therefore appropriate to pay homage to
        Philip for his freedom of mind by allowing everyone access to this
        transformation.
        Sincerely,
        Jean-François GOUDARD - DGY Mk1 - F-PVJF
        Écouter
        Lire phonétiquement
        Dictionnaire - Afficher le dictionnaireinterjection0.hello0.good
        morning0.hi0.good afternoon0.welcome0.hullo0.hallo0.how do you do

        > Phil i have a df that im building which is also a trigear,not to knowledge
        > on
        > how the controls hook up could you help with pics
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Letempt, Jeffrey A CIV USA
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2010
          No one every said I designed the only MKIII gear and neither did Mr. Soulas. I only guarantee that I designed my own MKIII MLG with great design and construction assistance from Drew. Pretty sure if you look at the dates, you will find the factory had a flying MKIII before 1985.

          Jeff

          ________________________________

        • oneskydog@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 1, 2010
            Steve,

            The list can only do so much come to the fly-ins. With luck I may be in the
            air in 2011 and will be at the fly-in's.

            If you have a specific question ask on the list and you will usually get an
            answer even if we debate it for a while.

            Regards,

            Charlie Johnson
            Ogden, Utah

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 1, 2010
              Good evening Jeff,

              I approached my friend Philippe Soulas, and you actually partially right
              about the anticipation of Mk3 tricycle. Several ways of building have indeed
              been used. I observe that trade made with the Taylor brothers were prominent
              in the final choice of the formula tricycle.
              Here are a few words what Philip explained :

              <<< I'm far from a list of dragonfly lease and even more, Jeff has to be
              the webmaster of the list.
              When I went to Arizona, Mike Quikley El Paso had a MK3 by grafting two half
              trains Vary behind the back of the passengers, so he had a very front
              loaded.
              Mike has now worked for Rex Taylor, I met him and I have pictures where we
              see his MK3 before being finished, it was a personal plane.
              Then Taylor, Rex and Patrick have tried to develop a MK3 whose legs were set
              in train a tubular lattice always in the back of the passengers, the angle
              of the legs toward the front was very important.
              When I sent them pictures of my mod, they were allowed to resume their MK3
              count as "official"
              I left the documents I received from Mike "scrawled" by Bill Owen over my
              "science" and it worked well in return for significant overweight.
              The DFY has been transformed and ten times easier to install, so use.
              It is certain that other manufacturers have created their own adaptation.

              That Jean François you have all the history. >>>>>

              Good reception.
              Sincerely

              J Francis GOUDARD
              > No one every said I designed the only MKIII gear and neither did Mr.
              > Soulas. I only guarantee that I designed my own MKIII MLG with great
              > design and construction assistance from Drew. Pretty sure if you look at
              > the dates, you will find the factory had a flying MKIII before 1985.
              >
              > Jeff
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Phil Christiansen
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2010
                My apologies to all of those individuals who have assisted me in my own efforts to convert an existing Mark II DF to the Mark III version.  Jeff is correct.  There are several different versions of the Mark III trigear that people have built.  Some utilize a two-piece aluminum main gear (such as Mr. Soulas's design) while others have incorporated a one-piece fiberglass gear leg (such as Jeff Letempt, Drew and others).  Mr. Goudard, if you read my earlier post closely, you can see that Jeff & Drew's main gear was the fiberglass version of their own design. For I stated that they "popped it from the mold at an earlier FOD get together".  My own build utilizes Jeff's main gear leg which is externally bolted onto the fuselage.  Mr. Soulas' design is a two-piece main gear leg which is inserted through holes in the fuselage and bolted together inside.  I utilized the main gear leg Jeff and Drew designed and incorporated a bulkhead stiffening system that
                was described in the DF newsletters and also diagrammed by Mr. Soulas in his plans.  I opted for a different nose-gear than Mr. Soulas' design, however.  Mine is a nose gear that came from a Kitfox/Pulsar aircraft.  So as you can see, I have utilized certain aspects of other builders, but not copied one particular design 100%.  I'm sorry for the confusion I may have caused by my post.  My only purpose was to update the list on my own particular progress and emphasize the fact to Oneskydog that there are DF builders out here trying very hard to complete their respective planes.  We are not a dying breed.  Speaking for myself, I opted to pass up this year's FOD so that I could finish up some details on my own plane prior to transport to the airport.  I have nothing but admiration, respect, and gratitude for those who have gone before me and completed their planes.  Individuals such as Jeff, Mr. Soulas, Drew, Oneskydog and many others have been
                very helpful in offering me guidance in my own building project.  My project has utilized many different components of other builder's experience.  If I have slighted any one of them by not recognizing their individual contributions, my apologies.  This list has been very supportive and helpful to all of us builders.  And I am grateful for everyone's guidance and willingness to share the knowledge they have gained from their own building experiences.  Nuff said.

                Phil Christiansen

                From: Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com <Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com>

                > Phil i have a df that im building which is also a trigear,not to knowledge

                > on

                > how the controls hook up could you help with pics

                > ________________________________

                > From: Phil Christiansen <rxforfun51@... <blockedmailto:rxforfun51%40yahoo.com> >

              • Kim Clawson
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 6, 2010
                  OSD - I have renewed interest in my DF project.  Spend the day yesterday with
                  some EAA chapter buddies doing the "quarter" tap test on all wing surfaces.
                  Everything looked good.  Next project is to build and install a hoop gear to get
                  the fuselage on wheels to make it easier to move around.  I am moving to
                  Birmingham, AL from Fredericksburg, VA in about 30 days.  I need to find an
                  adequate place to bring the airplane down to to continue the work.  I am
                  interested in the next tandem wing / canard fly-in in NE next year.  Please send
                  out dates and times when you know more.  There is another builder in Adams, TN
                  who is working on his DF as well, who may have interest in attending the event
                  as well.  Best.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 6, 2010
                    I saw lots of baggage pods on LongEZ, and VariEZ at Rough River.  Has
                     anyone ever tried it on a Q or Dragonfly?
                    Mitch Hargin
                    Dragonfly, Q2, ERacer

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 7, 2010
                      Kim, look me up when you get to Birmingham, my Dfly is based at Talladega
                      and we have a great EAA chapter here. Dave Richardson 205-566-2202

                    • oneskydog@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 7, 2010
                        Great to hear of your renewed interest. I think you might be close to Jeff
                        LeTempt who has a hoop gear Dragonfly.

                        The FOD has been and should be focused on builders. The airplanes are
                        testimony that it can be done and that it is worth the effort. The discussions
                        on getting past building road blocks are priceless and best done face to
                        face or in a group. The late night popcorn group always has an opinion or so I
                        have heard. You can spend a year e-mailing and still not get what you can
                        see in 5 minutes at the fly-in's I would thing the builders would want to
                        pull together even tighter given the Dart situation.

                        I am making every effort to be there next year dressed in glass.

                        Regards,

                        Charlie Johnson a.k.a. One Sky Dog
                        Ogden, Utah MSL 4470 ft

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 7, 2010
                          Dave - Thanks for reaching out.  I'll give you a call when I get down
                          there.  Good to hear there are other builder/owners near by.  I can always use
                          the encouragement and other pairs of eyes to keep my project on track and
                          progressing.

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 8, 2010
                            Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
                            Caveats: FOUO

                            I am located near Dothan, AL in the SE corner of the state.

                            Jeff
                            Dragonfly MK-IIH - N41GK

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 9, 2010
                              Jeff - I'll contact you once I get down there and moved in.  Good to know you
                              are nearby as well.  Thanks.

                              From: Dave Richardson <susan209@...