Re: Oshkosh

  • Dave Richardson
    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 1, 2010
      Anybody who complains about the cost of any fly-in needs to try to organize
      and work one. I was chairman of SERFI for three years. SERFI is a middle
      size event, averaging about 300-400 planes over a 3-day event. It is a
      simple format, but, at the end of the day, costs about $10k to run. You have
      to save enough on the good years to cover the lean years. All the workers at
      SERFI, including the Chairman, pay full admission. The deal at SERFI is that
      if you complain about something you get to be responsible for that function
      the next year. Pay the $24, enjoy the event, be a worker next year. I'll get
      off my soap-box now. Dave Richardson Mk II, N901DR

    • Terry Adams
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 2, 2010
        And then there are the fly-ins
        TW/Alternate Engine Jean, NV
        Canard Aviators, Columbia CA free, camping $6
        Short Wing Piper Club, Concrete WA free, camping free, club house
        with kitchen and hot showers free
        Old Fashion flyin, Concrete WA free, camping free, club house free
        TW Livermore, CA free
        Thorp T18, Porterville, CA free camping free
        Susanville, CA pilots flying in given 10 gallons fuel
        Mooney Mite, Porterville, CA free camping free
        and a lot more

        When I pay for something I expect to get value in return. I am not a
        big fan of putting fences up around a fly-in to keep people out or
        charging them to develop an interest in flying. We need to encourage
        people to come out to the airport, educate and get them interested in
        flying. For me the smaller, local fly-ins are much more conducive to
        getting people interested in flying. The aircraft "type" fly-ins and
        local fly-ins are perfect for me. And I have no problem with someone
        that wants to attend Oshkosh, SnF, Arlington, Copperstate, etc

        Terry