Revmaster 2100D Mount

  • Vegabond
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
      Good evening gents and ladies.
      I need some info on the mount for the Revmaster 2100D.
      This engine has the Bendix D3000 magneto on it and the clearance to the firewall is about 1/4 inch. I had no spark condition. and was told By Joe from Revmaster that more then likely the cause was the white crystal buildup on points from sitting in the barn for 10 years.
      IN order to remove the magneto distributor cover i had to remove the engine from the plane. Joe was correct. Cleaning the points did the trick. So eager i started to mount the engine back just to find out that the upper right bolt will not fit. It is slightly bent down.
      Is it possible to straighten it out. It is off about 3/4 inch.
      And another question. Is the clearance to the firewall should be that small? I know that guys flying O-200 cut the firewall to make toom for mags. Is the R/M the same way? Or maybe the mount that i have here is not for this engine And i have to find a real one?
      Or maybe someone has a Revmaster Mount lying in the shop somewhere, from the OLD days, they want to part with?
      Would love to hear from you.
      Thanks

      Ilya Beyder
    • Vegabond
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
        Dang it... there are Aliens... they took all the Draginflyers on board of their ships... because they liked their airplanes.

        I feel so alone :-(

        --- In Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com, "Vegabond" <maugliavus@...> wrote:

        > Good evening gents and ladies.
        > I need some info on the mount for the Revmaster 2100D.
        > This engine has the Bendix D3000 magneto on it and the clearance to the firewall is about 1/4 inch. I had no spark condition. and was told By Joe from Revmaster that more then likely the cause was the white crystal buildup on points from sitting in the barn for 10 years.
        > IN order to remove the magneto distributor cover i had to remove the engine from the plane. Joe was correct. Cleaning the points did the trick. So eager i started to mount the engine back just to find out that the upper right bolt will not fit. It is slightly bent down.
        > Is it possible to straighten it out. It is off about 3/4 inch.
        > And another question. Is the clearance to the firewall should be that small? I know that guys flying O-200 cut the firewall to make toom for mags. Is the R/M the same way? Or maybe the mount that i have here is not for this engine And i have to find a real one?
        > Or maybe someone has a Revmaster Mount lying in the shop somewhere, from the OLD days, they want to part with?
        > Would love to hear from you.
        > Thanks
        >
        > Ilya Beyder

      • Paul S
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
          That 1/4" would not be enough for me. I guess that I do not understand your bolt problem so I cannot comment on that.

          Paul
          Q-2 3300 Jabiru
          was R 2100D

          --- In Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com, "Vegabond" <maugliavus@...> wrote:

          > Good evening gents and ladies.
          > I need some info on the mount for the Revmaster 2100D.
        • dkeats
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 8, 2010
            Ilya------------ I don't know about the revmaster mount , but on the
            Hapi mount it is as simple as getting a strong man to pull on the tube
            while the other lines up the bolt. Hope this helps-------------- Canada
            Chris
          • Robert
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 8, 2010
              the 2100d aeropower has the same problem which i found when installing
              new mount rubbers .i found that the only way i could install the last
              bolt was to slightly jack the motor which then made it quite easy
              .also on inspection i found that this particular bolt had a very slight
              bend .i think that it would be most important to make sure that you
              always return the same bolt to the bracket it came from if you are re
              using them .however if your bolt is badly bent i would certainly find
              the cause of the problem and rectify it .there would be nothing worse
              than taking off and saying to yourself maybe i should have fixed this
              .is it going to be ok although i would hope that no pilot would ever do
              this i.e ...take off when not sure about the airwothyness of the
              airplane cheers ..

              rob from australia
              dragonfly mk 2
            • Vegabond
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 8, 2010
                Thanks Rob and Chris.
                last few days i have shown the mount to some friends of mine that help me with fabrication. They all voted to scrap the mount. ( easier to make new one)
                Just before reading your posts i have CUT the mount in question in two. Not because i was angry.. just to make sure that i measure the wall thickness of the tubing that it was made out of. I have already started on the fixture to make the new mount. What tubing did you use on yours? One i have is 5/8od. the mounting bolt short tubes, have the 0.505ID and the tubes that connect them are a bit thinner.
                The information i have on that Revmaster tells me that the distance from Firewall to the washer that is against the rubber mount is somewhere between 8-1/2 and 9 1/2 inches.I wonder what mount dimensions you guys had on the firewall.
                I been having one heck of a time finding history on this engine and Airplane. Two previous owners have passed away. and Revmaster has the original owners name and no more records of service.
                I have to do the elevator upgrade and move the left seat stick to the middle council. Hope to finish it by end of summer. Engine and electrical in fall. and testing in spring. I just hope i find the builder. He is still registered with FAA and active. The gentleman that i got it from told me that the plane had an engine failure at one pointand lendad in the field, or something like that. Original engine was a HAPI. It is a Mark2H now with Hapi pedals.
                The builders name was Gene Divincenzo from Lima OH. Anyone knows him?
                And flown under N86GD. It has never flown after him. Because the N number is still on the sides of the fuse.
                If anyone knows of him, please let me know.

                Ilya
              • Mcnamara, Patrick E Mr CIV USA IMCOM
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 9, 2010
                  Good morning Ilya,

                  Click on the below link for Gene's address and phone number.

                  Gene Divincenzo from Lima OH

                  http://www.realpageslive.com/guide/OH/Warren-Youngstown_Regional/Residen
                  ce/75.asp

                  Have fun and good luck.

                  Pat

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 10, 2010
                    --- In Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com, "Mcnamara, Patrick E Mr CIV USA IMCOM" <patrick.edgar.mcnamara@...> wrote:

                    > Good morning Ilya,
                    >
                    > Click on the below link for Gene's address and phone number.
                    >
                    > Gene Divincenzo from Lima OH
                    >
                    > http://www.realpageslive.com/guide/OH/Warren-Youngstown_Regional/Residen
                    > ce/75.asp
                    >

                    > Have fun and good luck.
                    >
                    > Pat

                    Thanks Pat.
                    I left him a message on the answering machine.
                    Hope he answers soon.

                    I have to move left stick to the center. and been looking for pictures of people that have done it but in our group i did not see any. I guess the only thing left is the Plans :-)
                  • Patrick Panzera
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 10, 2010
                      > I have to move left stick to the center. and been looking for pictures of
                      > people that have done it but in our group i did not see any. I guess the
                      > only thing left is the Plans :-)

                      Why do you "have to" move the stick to center?

                      Pat
                    • Vegabond
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 10, 2010
                        Hi Pat.
                        Are you saying i should fly from the right seat?
                        Or Ill have to learn how to fly left handed.
                        My friend here is saying to leave the controls like they are and move the guages to the right side and the tank to the left.
                        Just thinking about it. But open to your and groups suggestions.

                      • DraagunFly@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 10, 2010
                          You are talking about quite a bit of work moving the controls, and a huge amount of work to move instruments and header tank.
                          I had a similar problem when I built my Dragonfly. I had always flown with the Yoke in my left hand and throttle controls on the right (beechcraft). The configuration of the Dragonfly plans put the stick on the right & throttle on the left. As I am totally left handed I was concerned.
                          In the end I left the controls as per plans and re-trained my hands. I did this using several Computer flying software/games always using my right hand for the stick & left hand for throttle. When I actually flew the Dragonfly I found that it was a non-issue and caused me no problems what so ever. No matter where you put your controls, you will have a learning curve with Dragonfly as it is so sensitive in pitch compared to any certified airplane. I believe this will over ride any left/right hand problem. It will only take a few minutes to adapt to the sensitivity, but the concentration should help with the left/right problem also.
                          When you get a tailwheel endorsement, most certified tailwheel planes have the stick in the center. If the throttle is on the left (as Cub, Citabria, etc) that will also help train your hands as you can use your right hand on the stick.
                          You are talking about a huge amount of work better taken care of with a little retraining. The same holds true for tailwheel vs nose wheel. The retaining is easier & safer in the long run.
                          At least, that was my experience.
                          Richard in Chino
                          Dragonfly Mk I N85MT

                          Are you saying i should fly from the right seat?
                          Or Ill have to learn how to fly left handed.
                          My friend here is saying to leave the controls like they are and move the guages to the right side and the tank to the left.
                          Just thinking about it. But open to your and groups suggestions.

                          --- In Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Panzera <panzera@...> wrote:

                          > > I have to move left stick to the center. and been looking for pictures of
                          > > people that have done it but in our group i did not see any. I guess the
                          > > only thing left is the Plans :-)
                          >
                          > Why do you "have to" move the stick to center?
                          >
                          > Pat

                        • Vegabond
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 10, 2010
                            --- In Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com, DraagunFly@... wrote:

                            > You are talking about quite a bit of work moving the controls, and a huge amount of work to move instruments and header tank.
                            > I had a similar problem when I built my Dragonfly. I had always flown with the Yoke in my left hand and throttle controls on the right (beechcraft). The configuration of the Dragonfly plans put the stick on the right & throttle on the left. As I am totally left handed I was concerned.
                            > In the end I left the controls as per plans and re-trained my hands. I did this using several Computer flying software/games always using my right hand for the stick & left hand for throttle. When I actually flew the Dragonfly I found that it was a non-issue and caused me no problems what so ever. No matter where you put your controls, you will have a learning curve with Dragonfly as it is so sensitive in pitch compared to any certified airplane. I believe this will over ride any left/right hand problem. It will only take a few minutes to adapt to the sensitivity, but the concentration should help with the left/right problem also.
                            > When you get a tailwheel endorsement, most certified tailwheel planes have the stick in the center. If the throttle is on the left (as Cub, Citabria, etc) that will also help train your hands as you can use your right hand on the stick.
                            > You are talking about a huge amount of work better taken care of with a little retraining. The same holds true for tailwheel vs nose wheel. The retaining is easier & safer in the long run.
                            > At least, that was my experience.
                            > Richard in Chino
                            > Dragonfly Mk I N85MT

                            Thanks Richard.
                            Its worth trying to relearn to hold the stick in left hand.
                            Some simulator time will do me good. And the Cub experience will be a great addition. I guess I should not worry about it.

                            Ilya
                          • Letempt, Jeffrey A CIV USA
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 10, 2010
                              Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
                              Caveats: NONE

                              Agree with Richard. If you have ever flown a Cessna or Piper (at least the ones I have flown), you have to fly with your left hand when you take off and land (if you want to control the throttle). I am right handed (I throw like a girl (no offense intended to you girls) with my left hand) but flying my Dragonfly with my dual side sticks is totally natural (left hand in the left seat and right hand in the right seat). I used to fly in the right seat once in a while to stay in practice just in case I flew with someone bigger than me (my plane has more leg room on the left side), but I have not done that in quite a while...actually I have not been flying much at all. I flew last Sunday for the first time in 2 1/2 months. I will be really happy when I get my hangar and grass strip done so my plane is right out my kitchen (or bathroom) door.

                              Jeff

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 12, 2010
                                Ho guys.

                                I am done with my fixture for the engine mount, Made it 8 1/2 inches from the firewall. That should clear the magneto by 3/4'
                                The question i have is for the people that have made their own mounts, like Charlie(oneskydog). Dave Morris and others.
                                I have read on the net that if TIG welding is used on the 4130 - the filling rods they prefer to use are not 4130. They use softer material to fill. I need to know what did you guys use?

                                Brett, would love to see pictures of your plane.

                                Thanks
                                Ilya
                              • Vegabond

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 12, 2010
                                    Brett,

                                    Mild steel rod, I do not have a number handy check out this link to miller
                                    there is a recommend on there.

                                    The increased section of the weld takes care of the strength difference
                                    and the heat affected zone is not as brittle.

                                    _http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/Best-Practices-for-GTA-Weldin
                                    g-of-4130-Chrome-Moly-Tubing_
                                    (http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/Best-Practices-for-GTA-Welding-of-4130-Chrome-Moly-Tubing)

                                    Regards,

                                    Charlie aka One Sky Dog

                                    PS. Ready for primer sealer and top coat.