Re: [Dragonflylist] Parallel hinged Canopy

  • DKeats/CWalterson
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2001
      Ryan , what are you refering to when you mantion parallel hinge. You
      gotta be a bit more simple for us folks cause them epoxi fumes have
      taken there toll on our brain cells. I have a front hinged if thats
      what you mean and there are a few side openings and even a rear hinged.
      They are all just personall preferences. Canada Chris
    • rryan@san.rr.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2001
        Chris,
        What I meant is forward sliding canopy hardware/hinges.
        Today I went to chino to visit with Richard and see his Mk1.
        His hanger partner has a Quickie with a canopy arangement that I may
        use. It has 2 small flat bars, on each side, that make up a
        parallelagram to raise the canopy up and forward over the engine cowl.

        The reason is, I am trying to get cool air in cockpit before takeoff,
        It sure gets HOT inside on a normal day.

        Ryan Mk2 w/front hinged canopy .

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2001
          Rryan--------- I don't remember the fellows name , but I'm sure someof
          the guys on the Net will know him, anyway , he has a front sliding
          canopy that he made from drawer slides like in your kitchen. I saw his
          setup once at Oshkosh, looked very nice and not expensive. I'm sure he
          also gave out the details in one of the old newsletters.
          Canada Chris
        • rryan@san.rr.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2001
            Thanks Chris.

            To the group:
            If anyone can let me know which newsletter this setup is in( front
            sliding canopy ) that would help.

            Ryan

          • max3c@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2001
              Ryan, in answer to your question I do have information on the forward
              sliding canopy. If you have copies of the "Dragonflyer" - Look up No 40
              - pages 2 and 3. If you don't have that issue I can either make a zerox
              or E-mail the written portion.
              I also have a question. Where do I find a canopy for my Dragonfly?
              My project has been sidetracked for 15 years. All fiberglass
              construction is complete. Next step is the canopy, engine and
              instruments.
              George Siebel, new member.
            • DraagunFly@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2001
                Ryan
                That's right, #40, pgs 2&3. It is Richard Werner's Mk I. Richared lurks on
                this list occasionally, maybe he's answer. For all those following, Ryan is
                talking about a forward-sliding canopy. I had one on my Mk I for a while, but
                didn't like the unsturiness of my design, so changed to a forward hinging
                design. The other problem was I couldn't find sliding cabinet hinges that
                were strong enough. I went through 3 or 4 sets.
                Richard at Chino
              • Hans.Graesser@t-online.de
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 2, 2001
                  George,
                  ask Lancair. The canopy of the Lancair 235 is the same as for the DF.
                  Regards Hans
                  > Ryan, in answer to your question I do have information on the forward
                  > sliding canopy. If you have copies of the "Dragonflyer" - Look up No 40
                  > - pages 2 and 3. If you don't have that issue I can either make a zerox
                  > or E-mail the written portion.
                  > I also have a question. Where do I find a canopy for my Dragonfly?
                  > My project has been sidetracked for 15 years. All fiberglass
                  > construction is complete. Next step is the canopy, engine and
                  > instruments.
                  > George Siebel, new member.

                • Steve and Janet Thorn
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 2, 2001
                    George,

                    I bought one from Slipstream this summer. 800 464 3664. Mike Puhl
                    answered the phone, easy to talk to... $599 plus crating and shipping
                    charges.

                    The canopy came from Aircraft Windshield Company, Los Alamitos, CA, 562
                    430 8108. Second guessing, wished I had called them directly. But what
                    I really should have done was grab the one Pat mentioned a few days after I
                    placed my order.

                    Steve Thorn

                    At 08:10 PM 9/1/01 -0700, you wrote:
                    >I also have a question. Where do I find a canopy for my Dragonfly?
                    >My project has been sidetracked for 15 years. All fiberglass
                    >construction is complete. Next step is the canopy, engine and
                    >instruments.
                    > George Siebel, new member.

                  • Patrick Panzera
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 3, 2001
                      DraagunFly@... wrote:

                      > Ryan
                      > That's right, #40, pgs 2&3. It is Richard Werner's Mk I. Richared lurks on
                      > this list occasionally, maybe he's answer. For all those following, Ryan is
                      > talking about a forward-sliding canopy. I had one on my Mk I for a while, but
                      > didn't like the unsturiness of my design, so changed to a forward hinging
                      > design. The other problem was I couldn't find sliding cabinet hinges that
                      > were strong enough. I went through 3 or 4 sets.

                      The is an alternate way to do it with out using any slides at all.
                      We saw a good example of it at the Livermore fly-in few weeks ago.

                      If that link don't take you directly to it, try this one:

                      I've been working on a similar design, but the arms are shaped
                      to allow for another 4" or so forward travel. I'm also playing
                      with counter weights and possibly motorized keyless entry.

                      Pat
                    • Aurigema, Andrew N
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 4, 2001
                        We have a set of parallel hinges running down the middle of the roof support
                        for the gull wing doors. Does that count???

                        Drew in sunny Fl.