Re: N1007P update

  • d_doerhoff
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
      Tad,
      I'm glad that you're making some progress on the "Phoenix". I saw
      it at a fly-in at Livingston, Tn, a few years back...before it had
      it's mishap.
      As for your radio problems, www.aeroelectric.com has wiring
      diagrams for the kt-78.
      I think Sigtronics website has the diagrams for the SPA-400. I had
      to contact them when I couldn't get a Sporty's SP-200 handheld to
      work through the intercom, and they were quick with a response.
      What antenna are you using? My DF has the "copper strips" embedded
      in the fuselage floor behind the seats. I'm using the VOR ant, and I
      get some "blank areas" on communications...sometimes behind me,
      sometimes in rear quarters, but have been able to communicate with
      traffic that was 70 miles away.
      Before I installed the handheld, the plane had an Escort 110, and I
      had the exact problem you describe. It worked in the hanger, but not
      away. Since it's an antique box of junk, I removed it and all it's
      wiring harness, and installed the handheld.
      This isn't much, but I hope it helps you a little.
      Darrell N115DP

      --- In Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com, "rebeccaandtad_simpson"
      <rebeccaandtad_simpson@y...> wrote:

      > All,
      > Just a little update on the recent progress. (cry for help below)
      >
      > As you may remember I bought the project of the once flying custom
      > built dragonfly aka the Phoenix. It is a trike that has the 26' LS-
      1
      > and rear wing, c90-12f, 1015 lbs empty (flying pig). After several
      > months of puzzling pieces back together, lots of research and
      > questions to the group, it was finally time to bring in an expert.
      > Jeff Letempt came over (in challanging weather) for the 2nd time to
      > complete a thourough inspection and perform flight testing. After a
      > day and a half of fixing my mistakes and finishing things up, it
      was
      > finally time to test fly. After calling in the support troups Jill
      > and Becky (our wives) and Fred Worrell (local DF builder) and his
      > neighbor John,(who has a beautiful homebuilt he completed last
      year).
      > A few minutes later Jeff was taxiing to runway 6 for a test
      flight.
      > My heart raced with excitement as the plane was soon lost into the
      > snow covered background. Overwhelmed with anticipation, I wanted to
      > see every inch of the plane traveling the runway for takeoff, I
      began
      > walking across the ramp that parallels the runway. After 1/2 mile
      or
      > so, the plane was insight at the end of the runway.After several
      > minutes (i assumed run up time), I noticed several planes in the
      > pattern including an AA commercial flight, so I stepped into the
      FBO
      > to get out of the weather for a minute assuming I could hear
      > clearance from the base station and step out to get pictures of the
      > 1st take off. My heart dropped as I heard the tower repeat 07 Papa,
      > do you copy with no reply. Soon I saw Jeff Taxiing back and soon
      > heard inaudible transmissions and then Jeff communicating with the
      > tower. He then turned and headed back for the runway. At the end of
      > the day, as he reached the end of the runway the radio failed again
      > and the flight had to be aborted. I want to thanks Jeff and Jill
      for
      > making the trip over and all the help and support. Also thanks to
      > Becky, Fred and John for their help and support as well.
      >
      > I have a Signatronics SPA-400 intercom, A King KT-78 transponder, a
      > TCI encoder and a Val Com 760. All seem to work ok at the hanger,
      but
      > when you get away from the tower, it develops 2 intermitant issues.
      >
      > 1) You can not hear anyone on the radio
      > 2) The transmission from the radio becomes very broken (sounds like
      > the mic is being keyed and released repeatedly in 1 second
      intervals.

      > All items are new or rebuilt (less than 10 hrs)....The new
      harnesses
      > were cut up for radio removal before I purchased the plane and
      pieced
      > back togeter when I installed them.
      >
      > Has anyone had and resolved similar problems ?
      > Any ideas where to start ?
      > Any idea where I can get a wiring diagram for a KT-78 ?
      >
      > Thanks again,
      > Tad Simpson,
      > N1007P
      > 1 state east of missery
    • REBECCA SIMPSON
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2005
        Darrell,
        Thanks for the reply. I ordered a handheld this week and it has just arrived, so if I can get the honey - do list done this AM I'll be trying the handheld. (Icom 23A) I am curious on how you got a handheld to work through your SPA-400 ? I have the same intercom and would like to try the same.

        Thanks,
        Tad

      • d_doerhoff
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2005
          Hi Tad,
          I couldn't get any volume through the hand-held, and Sigtronics
          said I had to wire a resister in the hook-up,...had to dig out the
          old "ham radio" books...I removed a resistor from an old boom-box,
          soldered it in, and "finally...something worked". It may take me a
          few days of digging to find the schematic for this..my honey-do list
          has grown exponentially...but, I'll look for it, and let you know.
          p.s. I've mounted the radio on the panel at the header tank, using
          2" Velcro...may as well get some use out of this blank panel area.
          Darrell

          --- In Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com, REBECCA SIMPSON

          Service.