Re: Off Topic: PeaPod or ??

  • owenstrawn@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2001
      http://www.angelfire.com/ks2/janowski/other_aircraft/Waco_mag.gif

      --- In Dragonflylist@y..., Terrence O'Neill <troneill@m...> wrote:
      > Here's one.
      > Terry

    • Aurigema, Andrew N
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2001
        That is way cool. What happened to it?????????

        Is it still around?????

        Drew in sunny Fl.

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2001
          Babykins Drew, that's like asking what happened to dirigibles. This pic
          is dated 1964! Where was you then?
          This was a very complicaged lightplane... 555 drawings, and they hadn't
          done the interior yet. The engine was 215-hp Franklin, driving a
          two-piece shaft with two Bendix-Wiess universals, each with its own oil
          tank and pump, back to a Hartzell variable pitch (reversible) prop on
          the tail. It was two-control, and the elevators were connected to the
          flaps... flaperons. The landing gear was wierd, by Firestone, retracted
          all but the bottom third. I landed it once gear-up, no problem. (The
          Flexidyne dry-shot clutch connecting the engine to the shaft had failed,
          in the pattern.)
          It was easy to fly, and cruised about 125-130-mph.
          After showing it at Rockford where it was filmed with that year's
          fly-in, I tried to sell it as an antique for a year, but no takers. It
          was licensed in R&D category, so couldn't use it for personal flying,
          so I designed a simplified 6-seater, using its wing and as many parts as
          I could, and started my company with it. Last year I donated the
          original drawings (pencil on vellum and linen) to the Smithsonian. I
          still have a set of blueprints, and the original engineering reports.
          Very educational.
          And expensive.
          Terry
        • owenstrawn@kscable.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2001
            Terry,

            I found your "Waco Aristocraft" article in the March & April 1964 Sport
            Aviations. I hope you don't mind that I scanned, OCR'd, & posted it
            here:

            http://www.angelfire.com/ks2/janowski/other_aircraft/Waco_W/

            Did you keep the photos? I'd be willing to set up a dedicated web page
            or two if you are interested. It would be similar to this pageset:
            http://www.angelfire.com/ks2/janowski

            Thanks!
            Owen

          • owenstrawn@kscable.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2001
              You are correct. Trella T-106 - there's a pic on www.aerofiles.com and
              the only one built is still on the FAA register! Wonder how they formed
              those panels & esp the boom-fin structure in a home workshop?

              I have recently put together an almost complete set of Sport Aviation
              from 1959 to present (oboy, eBay!) and I just have to say: "What
              happened to all those homebuilts from the 50's, 60's, & 70's?" They
              can't ALL have been crashed or dismantled, can they?

              And, apropos to the DFly: "Where did all the Dragonflies go?"

              Owen

              > Owen,
              > That's a Trella, I think. It was mislabelled by the magazine.
              > Definitely not one of my creations.
              > terry
            • Terrence O'Neill
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 2, 2001