Dragonfly design sold

  • oneskydog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hello all,
      I am in WI this week and thought I would go by Slipstream and get some linkage bits for the Dragonvair.

      I called Slipstream but Mike was not there as he was weathered in somewhere. He is supposed to be there tomorrow. The person I talked to told me that the Dragonfly had been sold to a So. Africa party. He did not know if all of the parts had been sold but the arangements are underway for moving the Dragonfly, molds, and all other tooling, and possably all parts in inventory across the pond.

      I will try and get some face time as well as parts before I leave this weekend to go home to Utah.

      Regards,

      One Sky Dog
    • MikeWright
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2004
        Ok so the cat is out of the bag!!
        True it is all comming to SA - I spoke to both partners this morning about
        Super Sleuths findings. Charlie you are spot on and both Dave and Peter (the
        new owners) have assured me that they will revert to 100% support of the
        design.They have big plans and it all mostly entails doing the basics. I
        ...They have appointed a US distributor. He is afine gent, and known to all
        of us. Will he please step up to the podium...........You can announce
        yourself sir!
        This is great news and now the real $ value will be bestowed upon the bird
        it so rightly deserves. You can also do the maths at R6.5 to $1 it makes
        sense to manufacture here in SA, the cost of building kits for resale has to
        be in every ones favour.
        Until Peter and Dave come on Line I will leave the new US agent fill in on
        the way forward as the parts, molds, etc are still being packed for shipping
        to SA.
        I'm soooo excited about Dave and Peters new venture, as the design will grab
        o here too adding value to my plane. All I can say is: Guy's give these
        fellas your support as they need it and they will support you and all new
        builders, I know as they have asked myself and a few others to be there when
        called to do "Dragonfly Duty". They are SERIOUS
        All for now
        Mike Wright
        South Africa

        I am in WI this week and thought I would go by Slipstream and get some
        linkage bits for the Dragonvair.

        I called Slipstream but Mike was not there as he was weathered in somewhere.
        He is supposed to be there tomorrow. The person I talked to told me that the
        Dragonfly had been sold to a So. Africa party. He did not know if all of the
        parts had been sold but the arangements are underway for moving the
        Dragonfly, molds, and all other tooling, and possably all parts in inventory
        across the pond.

        I will try and get some face time as well as parts before I leave this
        weekend to go home to Utah.

        Regards,

        One Sky Dog

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Letempt, Jeffrey CW4
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2004
          Now I guess it is my turn......if everything works out, I am going to be the
          US distributor for the Dragonfly. About 2 1/2 months ago Spud contacted me
          with the news that the Dragonfly rights had been sold to two gentlemen from
          SA (Peter and Dave). They asked Spud if he would be interested in being
          their US distributor due to his long and distinguished service to the
          Dragonfly community. Of course he was flattered, but declined the offer
          because he did not feel he could devote the time for this mission to be as
          successful as he knew it could be. Spud then went on the recommend me for
          the job (thanks for the vote of confidence my friend).

          We have a bunch of ideas and it is all very exciting. As we all know,
          Slipstream really has not promoted the Dragonfly at all. They did not
          provide any technical support to us plans builders at all.....that will
          change. If we are new a Dragonfly owner we have to find a generous
          Dragonfly pilot to give us some Dragonfly experience......that will change.
          The value of our Dragonfly's is usually very low (most people will spend way
          more money building their plane than they sell it for).....we hope that will
          change. The Dragonfly construction manual leaves much to be desired....that
          will change.

          There are many things that need to be ironed out yet and the molds, parts,
          plans, and Dragonfly stuff has not arrived at the new owners shop in SA yet,
          but I am very optimistic that this is really a huge step in the right
          direction. I am going to pick up a MK-IIH this weekend (I know that little
          wheel is really supposed to be back there) and I will continue to work on my
          MK-III. At some point (hopefully in the very near future), I will start
          working on my CFI rating. That means I will be offering transition training
          in your plane or in either of mine.

          I guess I am trying to say that we plan on offering the things that every
          experimental airplane company should. The option of buying a quick build
          kit, a good set of plans, prefabricated parts to go along with the plans,
          technical support (for the kit and plans builders - both new and old),
          transition flight training, maintenance support (I am an A&P), something
          similar to the old quick build workshop, and who knows what else. Is this
          all going to be available tomorrow? Certainly not, but these are the kinds
          of things that we will be working to achieve as soon as possible.

          I could go on for hours, but I would probably just bore you to tears. I am
          really very excited about the possibilities. Be patient and I think we are
          in for a serious revitalization of the Dragonfly.

          Jeff

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2004
            Congrats! Can't wait to see the Mk IV prototype hit the market!
            Owen

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • James R Freeman
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2004
              Jeff:
              Good deal! But first and foremost take care of Your back.
              Jim

              I am in WI this week and thought I would go by Slipstream and get some
              linkage bits for the Dragonvair.

              I called Slipstream but Mike was not there as he was weathered in somewhere.
              He is supposed to be there tomorrow. The person I talked to told me that the
              Dragonfly had been sold to a So. Africa party. He did not know if all of the
              parts had been sold but the arangements are underway for moving the
              Dragonfly, molds, and all other tooling, and possably all parts in inventory
              across the pond.

              I will try and get some face time as well as parts before I leave this
              weekend to go home to Utah.

              Regards,

              One Sky Dog

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Spud Spornitz
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2004
                And Jeff wrote:

                "Spud then went on the recommend me for the job (thanks for the vote of
                confidence my friend)"
                .
                Your welcome Jeff. It was a easy recommendation to make. You have all the
                resources and talent to do a great job! I will support you all the way.

                Jeff wrote:
                "I am going to pick up a MK-IIH this weekend........"
                Tell us more about the Mark IIH. Who's was it, engine etc. Whats the plan
                for it????

                Very Best Regards,

                Spud Spornitz
                Olathe, Kansas
              • Letempt, Jeffrey CW4
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2004
                  Jim,

                  I had a discogram done last week (I think that was the most pain I have ever
                  experienced in my entire life) and they have determined I have a torn disk
                  (in addition to the other problems). I go in for something called a
                  diskototomy (or something like that) on 6 JUL. Then they are going to send
                  me to San Antonio, TX in August to have something called an IDET done.
                  After that no heavy lifting or strenuous physical activity for 6 months.

                  Thanks for thinking about me.

                  Jeff

                  Good deal! But first and foremost take care of Your back.
                  Jim
                • propellerhead3
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 3, 2004
                    Jeff;
                    I contacted Slipstream about purchasing parts and they tell me that they no
                    longer sell them. When will Dragonfly parts be available through you?
                    Joe

> [...]
                    >
                    > I guess I am trying to say that we plan on offering the things that every
                    > experimental airplane company should. The option of buying a quick build
                    > kit, a good set of plans, prefabricated parts to go along with the plans,
                    > technical support (for the kit and plans builders - both new and old),
                    > transition flight training, maintenance support (I am an A&P), something
                    > similar to the old quick build workshop, and who knows what else. Is this
                    > all going to be available tomorrow? Certainly not, but these are the
                    kinds
                    > of things that we will be working to achieve as soon as possible.
                    >
                    > I could go on for hours, but I would probably just bore you to tears. I
                    am
                    > really very excited about the possibilities. Be patient and I think we
                    are
                    > in for a serious revitalization of the Dragonfly.

                  • Johan Steyn
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 6, 2004
                      Hi

                      We are visiting Oshkosh at end July and will be camping. What a trip!

                      Would like to make contact with Dragonfly owners and perhaps a test flight

                      Can anybody assist with advice and contact details?

                      Groetnis

                      Johan

                    • MikeWright
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 6, 2004
                        Jy het die boot gemis.
                        Die eienaars bly in Kaapstad en Durban.
                        Sorry for the jab to the ribs - could not resist it Johan.
                        You can phone me for the test ride when you are ready. The design now is in
                        SA hands as well as all the rest of the tooling etc.
                        Mike Wright
                        East London SA

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 8, 2004
                          Joe,

                          That is a good question that I do not have the answer to. I suspect if the
                          new owners in SA get some prefabricated parts in the shipment from
                          Slipstream that not long after they arrive they should be available. We
                          still have many details to work out at this point, but I suspect that small
                          parts would ship directly from SA to your door step at first. At some point
                          I am pretty sure that they will forward me a conex full of Dragonfly parts
                          to more quickly ship them to North American Dragonfly builders.