Brake parts on eBay; Scott brake in pull-cable mode

  • Dave Morris
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004
      There are currently a lot of Cleveland and Scott brake cylinders available
      on eBay. More than I've seen in quite a while, (and I have a standing
      search there so I see the available items every day).

      Go to eBay Motors, Parts, Aviation, and use the search "Brake Cylinder" and
      you'll see them.

      I've been trying to come up with a good solution for brakes, since I am
      6'5" and my feet go all the way to the canard lift bulkhead and I have the
      Nate Rambo header tank that fills up a lot of space ahead of the forward
      bulkhead. My current idea is to use a single Scott heel brake (such as
      used on the Piper Tripacer) (see
      http://www.davemorris.com/Photos/Dragonfly%20Controls/ScottBrakeMount.jpg)
      backwards, attached to a cable and a T-handle mounted on the center console
      (see
      http://www.davemorris.com/Photos/Dragonfly%20Controls/BrakeHandle.jpg).
      This has been done before, in fact I think the Tripacer actually uses this
      unit in a pull-cable mechanism.

      The brake should only need to be used after the plane has stopped flying,
      so it should be OK to let go of the center control stick to grab the
      T-handle. The Scott heel brake has a 4:1 mechanical lever that allows you
      to put more pressure on the brake than would be possible with a straight
      cylinder (such as a Cleveland 10-30 or equivalent). In the photo, you'll
      notice that the brake is mounted on the FRONT face of the canard lift
      bulkhead, so that the cable can be pulled. What I don't know yet is
      whether the Scott unit has enough bore and stroke to satisfy both of the
      Cleveland brakes. We'll find out soon enough.

      Even if you didn't use the pull-cable, but wanted to install heel brakes,
      these Scott pedals are pretty cheap. If you bought a left one and a right
      one and installed them as heel brakes, you could have separate pedals and
      you would be putting less stress on the lower rudder bearing (phenolic),
      because the rudder would have absolutely nothing to do with the brakes.

      If anybody's got holes to shoot in my theory, fire away!

      Dave Morris