Re: [Dragonflylist] The Kiwi has landed

  • John Mason
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2001
      Graeme Davey wrote:

      > Team Hughes wrote:
      >
      > > Gidday team,
      > >
      > > What are the best tricks for getting spinners mounted absolutely centered?
      > >
      > > Tim Hughes

      > Tim Welcome home, Time to give Phil a rest, sounds like he's been
      > working hard while you've been away. Assuming you have done the cutouts for
      > the prop, try this, Backing plate and prop mounted, cowls off, mount the
      > spinner on to the backing plate using small clamps, clothes pegs, or Blue tack,
      > (something that will hold it firm, but will allow adjustment) then use
      > something like a light stand, corner of a mobile bench- something to create a
      > reference point for the end of the spinner, set this up , and, turning the
      > spinner around by the prop, adjust the spinner till you are sure you have it
      > centered, clamp firmly and drill the holes for the mounting screws,- you could
      > put, say, two or three self tappers in first,then check it again before
      > drilling for the mounting screws, it worked for me.
      > Graeme in Aust.

      Another method.
      You must have access to a lathe---either wood or metal---And a friend that
      understands them. He should understand this procedure.
      1. Center your backing plate both horizontal and vertical, using a
      dial gage, to the chuck of the lathe.
      2. Make a cup, that fits on your "live center" in the tail stock.
      (you can see since the live center is exactly in the center of
      the chuck, then whatever is in between the two will be centered.)
      3. Place the spinner tip in the cup and move spinner into the backing
      plate. Rotate by hand. Don't turn the lathe on. (you don't use the lathe for
      anything other than a device to hold and center the spinner to the plate.)
      4. When centered, mark and drill your holes------you are done----and
      perfectly true.
      I might suggest that this procedure be done prior to making the cutouts
      for the prop.

      John
    • frequent flyer
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2001
        --- John Mason <jmason@...> wrote:
        John, Have you got your dragonfly back in the air yet?
        Haven't seen or heard from you since Goldon West two
        years ago.Jack

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/