Re: [Dragonflylist] Fuel Tank

  • ARGOLDMAN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
      In a message dated 12/31/03 5:24:03 PM, dkeats@... writes:

      > Newguy---------  Most of us don't use any sealer in the fuel tank. If
      > it was built correctley with a heavy coat of epoxi, it will be sealed
      > well. There are some bad stories of other added sealers coming apart in
      > the tank and plugging fuel lines. Mine is twelve years old and still
      > perfectley sealed. If you have any doubts, hook up a balloon to one of
      > your outlet lines, plug all the rest and using a REGULATED are source,
      > put in enough air in the tank to blow up the balloon. Shut down the
      > regulator and wait for a few days to see if the balloon deflates. It
      > only takes a few pounds of pressure to blow up the ballon so be carefull
      > . Have fun----- Canada Chris

      NEWGUY,
      I agree with Chris, however as a control group, you will want to inflate a
      balloon to the same diameter and tie it off. Balloons, like aircraft tubes leak
      air. If your two balloons are the same diameter after the test period, you are
      probably good to go. It would be a shame if you do surgery on the tank
      because of a smaller balloon only to find that there was no leak. See if you can
      borrow a borescope from a friendly mechanic. Take a look into the tank from the
      filler tube. Look especially at the tank/floor and tank/fuselage junctures.
      Look for the telltale shiny finish (good).

      don't use too much pressure testing the tank. Pressure in excess of 1 or 2
      pounds can do a lot of damage. If you can get a sensitive gauge, or even build
      a manometer (column if water in a transparent tube) you will be better off.
      Make sure that your filler cap completely seals and that your blockage of
      unused tubes (i.e., return from header) are leak free-- use a soap solution sprayed
      on said junctures. Unlike gasoline, you won't know by smell.

      The fact that the header tank had the required gloss is a plus, --unless a
      different person did the tank.

      Lots of luck.

      Rich

    • Gary Bradshaw
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
        When I purchased my DF fuselage the fuel tank was already completed
        and installed. Unfortunately the previous owner did not install the
        drain or the fuel gauge. This means I will have to drill more holes
        into the tank to install the necessary items. I assume this also
        means that I will need to re-open the original access ports and
        possilbley one new one to complete the work and re-seal all of the
        new and old penetration and make final inspections. My question is
        has anyone done this and if so how was the edges of the urethane foam
        sealed and what was the procedure for sealing up and closing all of
        the new holes?

        Any information on this issue is greatly appreciated.

        Thanks for the help,
        Gary Bradshaw
      • Letempt, Jeffrey CW4
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
          Gary,

          Is the metal (aluminum if I remember correctly) imbedded in the fuel tank
          floor to accept the tank drain?

          What kind of fuel gauge are you planning to install? Was the previous
          builder planning on using the plans specified fuel gauge?

          When you are talking about the edges of the foam I guess you talking about
          when you cut the hole for the gauge you will have some foam exposed on the
          inside of the hole you just cut? If so I would think if you removed some of
          the foam and mixed up a batch of micro you should be fine. I would fill the
          area with micro and once dry would apply a few coats of epoxy to make sure
          it is well sealed. I guess you could try to apply some glass cloth, but
          unless you had some very light cloth (maybe 2 ounce) it would be hard to
          work in such a small area and keep it neat.

          If you are talking about cutting out an existing access hole then I would
          just cut it out, do the work you need to do, and make a new access panel.
          If you could make the hole something other than round you could actually
          install a new panel inside the cut-out. Just make sure the area is smooth
          and you do all the normal glass to glass bond stuff and use some really wet
          flox to get a good bond.

          In fact here is a good trivia question for you......why are man hole covers
          round? It relates to the shape of the access panel I was talking about.

          Jeff

          When I purchased my DF fuselage the fuel tank was already completed
          and installed. Unfortunately the previous owner did not install the
          drain or the fuel gauge. This means I will have to drill more holes
          into the tank to install the necessary items. I assume this also
          means that I will need to re-open the original access ports and
          possilbley one new one to complete the work and re-seal all of the
          new and old penetration and make final inspections. My question is
          has anyone done this and if so how was the edges of the urethane foam
          sealed and what was the procedure for sealing up and closing all of
          the new holes?

          Any information on this issue is greatly appreciated.

          Thanks for the help,
          Gary Bradshaw

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Gary Bradshaw
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
            --- In Dragonflylist@yahoogroups.com, "Letempt, Jeffrey CW4"
            <jeffrey.letempt@u...> wrote:
            > Jeff,

            I have no idea if the metal for the fuel drain has been imbedded in
            the tank. Since there is no indication that there has ever been a
            drian hole I rather doubt it. Fortunately the original owner lives
            close by and is going to stop by to see how the project is coming
            along. I will debrif him then.

            I will be installing an electroinc system. My RMI engine monitor
            includes a fuel level monitor.

            Thanks for the tips on cutting and glassing. I think that major
            revisions to the tank (which was constructed larger than plan)is
            going to be required in any event. I recieved my main landing gear
            today for a tri-gear conversion and it looks like I will have to make
            some changes to accomodate the longerons.

            As for the trivia questions manhole lids are round and generally
            somewhat tapered from the bottom side to the top so they will not
            fall through the rim. Since I am a construction engineer I have had
            to crawl down many of this things and have good reason to appreciate
            the feature.

            Regards,
            Gary

          • Laurel
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
              Hi Gary,

              How about using a stud finder to help locate the possible drain fitting? At
              any rate, retrofitting these things, as well as the access holes in the top
              of the tank is pretty easy.... shoot, if I can do it,.......

              See this link: www.joncrawford.com

              Best regards,
              Jon

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
                If I recall, the drain plate was one of the very first things you build,
                because it had to be installed into the fuselage bottom (one of the first
                things you build). You tap it, and fill it with Playdough. (Then you
                spend the next 10 years replacing the Playdough every time it dries
                out.) You have to sand the fuselage bottom a little thinner around the
                drain plate before glassing, so that the drain is truly the low point in
                the tank.

                I suppose you could look at the plans and see where it says to install the
                drain and start tapping around there to see if the metal plate was
                installed, but if it was not drilled and tapped in the very beginning per
                the plans, I'd be a little concerned about what else might have been missed.

                Dave Morris