Chinese Culture Forums on the WWW

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
      Chinese Culture Forums on the WWW

      Asiawind Forums
      http://www.asiawind.com/forums/
      - very active forum which gets good support from professors/book
      writers on chinese culture and history, but posts are not always
      moderated and tempers are known to flare. Forum in English.

      China Forum by China-Kontor
      http://www.chinakontor.de/china-forum.htm
      - new forum with relatively few members and posts. Forum in German,
      English and Chinese. Activity is low probably due to it being new.

      China History Forum
      http:///www.chinahistoryforum.com
      - very active forum with a strong membership. Discussion are well
      moderated with a very wide range of topics discussed. Depth of
      discussion is sometimes very intimidating as obscure topics are
      sometimes hotly debated. Highly Recommended.

      China the Beautiful
      http://www.chinapage.org/phpBB2/index.php
      - Tends to mirror Asiawinds Forum as they are part of the same group.

      Chinese Forum
      http://www.chinese-forums.com/portal.php
      - Fairly active with a very large membership.

      Yutopian Chinese Culture Forum
      http://www.yutopian.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html
      - one of the first forums on Chinese Culture. Not very active but
      very well moderated.
    • andrieszijlstra
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
        Dear Kit Meng,

        Whether you use your own signature or, by accident, Dawn's account I
        think that you are recognised by your tone that is always informative
        and correct. I think that this is a public Forum where privacy is not the
        issue. Your observation on the moderation of Asiawind is not supported
        by me because it is subjective. The moderators are very tolerant and
        that implies that some posts are not always in accordance with our
        standards and preferences. But it is merely due to its success and the
        temptation of "intruders" to ventilate their hate or obsessions. It is very
        difficult to be open and correct for everybody. The options are limited
        and I think that this site is different because the participants are more
        respectful and educated. But again the majority of Forumites in
        Asiawind should not be judged by a few sometimes very negative
        contributions.

        Regards,
        Andries
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
          Hi Andries,

          Well yes I do agree that the majority of Forumites should not be
          judged based on a few negative contributions. Asiawind is an
          excellent forum, just that sometimes it is very difficult to post
          there because of just a few people who have fairly strong views on
          certain issues. Well, to each his own. Those were just my
          observations and admittedly, may be biased. :-)

          Thanks.

          Jieming
          DragonSeedLegacy
          ChineseCultureOnline

          >But it is merely due to its success and the
          > temptation of "intruders" to ventilate their hate or obsessions. It
          is very
          > difficult to be open and correct for everybody. The options are limited
          > and I think that this site is different because the participants are
          more
          > respectful and educated. But again the majority of Forumites in
          > Asiawind should not be judged by a few sometimes very negative
          > contributions.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Andries
        • andrieszijlstra
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
            Dear Jieming,

            Sorry that I might address you wrongly but I hope and trust that you
            know that I like to be neutral. Your observations are very often right and
            I didn't want to prove anything but merely express my perception. I like
            to give my maybe limited contributions about Chinese and universal
            issues and you might know that I have been seriously ill for some time
            but now I'm recovering and want to contribute again. For some people it
            is strange that a Dutchman is so much interested in Chinese issues
            but Jane can tell you more about it. I started to work in China almost 4
            years ago and I was so surprised that you can be closer to Chinese
            people than I have ever been to Western people. Almost every day I
            get E-mails from Chinese people where I get nothing from Western
            people. I don't know whether this is of any interest to others but it is
            just to illustrate my love for China and to Chinese. I'm now involved in
            translating Chinese sayings from English into French and Spanish that
            I get a thorough understanding of Chinese philosophies. I would like to
            improve my Chinese but in all Forums the command of the English
            language is such that I feel really retarded not to be able to speak
            Chinese like almost every body in here speaks English.

            Regards,
            Andries
          • mikegimbel
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
              Hi Andries,

              I really enjoyed your message. I am an American who has also come
              to learn the joys of China and its people in the last few years.

              I have Chinese students in the USA and have also been to China to
              teach English. In almost every case, I have found the Chinese
              people I meet to be kind and caring. This includes the many that I
              talk to at MSN Messenger and by email.

              I have often heard that Chinese people tend to be more kind and
              friendly to foreigners than they are to each other. Does anyone
              have any comments about this phenomenon?

              Also Andries, I am sad to admit that my Chinese is very poor. When
              mt friends tell me that their English is poor, I always tell them
              that I can just dream of being that proficient in Chinese. It is
              true.

              Baozhong,

              Mike

              --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "andrieszijlstra"

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
                Hi Andries,

                Hey, no worries. Glad to hear you're recovering from your illness.
                I appreciate your frank opinions and am glad to hear your point of
                view/s as well.

                I don't really think it's strange for a dutchman to have a healthy
                interest in Chinese culture and issues. This kind of cross cultural
                exchange of ideas only helps us understand each other better. On my
                part, I also try and learn other cultures and have a fascination for
                English history of the middle ages, classical greek history, early
                sumerian civilisation and pre-columbian american history. :-)

                By all means, go ahead and practice your chinese here. Discussions
                need not be solely in English. Some of the posts have been in chinese
                though I noticed other than a few comments from Jane, there hasn't
                been any replies to them. I'm a little handicapped as I can't read or
                write chinese well enough to post, though I speak the language. Your
                efforts in learning what is essentially a difficult language to master
                even for native speakers is highly commendable and that includes
                others like Mike, Alex and the rest who constantly impress me with
                their proficiency in not only the language but the culture as well.

                Best regards,

                Jieming
                from my own desk ;-)

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
                  Yes by and large this tends to be true. I think the reasons for it
                  vary. I used to think (coming from colonial Malaysia and Singapore)
                  that it had more to do with a lingering respect and awe for the "white
                  masters". I'm not so sure now because I see this happening outside
                  Malaysia/Singapore as well.

                  There are probably a lot of contributing reasons for this phenomenon
                  as you call it. My own take on this is that the Chinese interpersonal
                  relationship is based heavily on Face and on one's position in
                  society. Immediately you see how a foreigner doesn't fit in simply
                  because he is foreign and doesn't have an established place in the
                  order. So, many chinese meeting a foreigner for the first time, would
                  be polite and helpful to maintain face. They don't know the
                  foreigner's place and therefore plays it safe.

                  We had the earlier discussion on the single front of asians and the
                  dual front of the westerner. The Asian front is impassive and rather
                  hard to crack, but once cracked, close friendships are very easily
                  made. In a chinese to chinese relationship, societal strata is very
                  quickly established and made known. From there, relationships are
                  generally conducted accordingly until a change occurs in the social
                  order between the two persons. However, in a foreigner and a chinese,
                  the strata is never established because the foreigner remains outside
                  the order. The chinese, to put it crudely, never needs fear who the
                  foreigner may know or influence, to be able to threaten the chinese's
                  position in society. So this chinese person can be more open and
                  candid with the foreigner. Conversely, the relationship between two
                  chinese can be very convoluted and takes many years to really settle
                  into a truly open and frank friendship. Many chinese are well aware
                  that it is not easy to make good friends but those they make are
                  friends for life (usually).

                  Then of course there is the angle of national/cultural pride. This is
                  not solely a Chinese domain. Generally anyone would be friendly to a
                  foreigner if it enables them to showcase their culture and country.

                  I'm quite sure there are many more factors which add to this
                  friendliness to foreigners but I think the main jist of things can be
                  summed up in the three above.

                  Jieming
                  DragonSeedLegacy
                  ChineseCultureOnline

                  > I have often heard that Chinese people tend to be more kind and
                  > friendly to foreigners than they are to each other. Does anyone
                  > have any comments about this phenomenon?
                • ming18ming2003
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
                    As so well said by Jieming, i jsut watn to add by telling that Alex
                    is now learning Cantonese by attendiong classes. Hhe.. isn't that
                    amazing?

                    Alex, i wish you learn well and have fun while learning

                    Jane

                    I am always from my desk. :) but need to go sooooooon..

                    --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "kitmengleong"

                  • andrieszijlstra
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
                      Dear all,

                      My experience on the relation between Chinese and foreigners is
                      relatively simple. A Chinese person will always respect or at least
                      pretend to respect anybody. The real person will only be revealed after
                      trusting each other. I went with a lady to have lunch and her boss was
                      a "nice" person that he thought that she was adoring him. After some
                      time I got close and we had lunch almost every day and than we went
                      for a walk. She was blamed not to be able to speak English and I was
                      really surprised that she started to speak English to me very correctly.
                      Btw she still communicates with me. She told me that she hates her
                      boss because at any time she was saying something he interfered and
                      diminished her. This is to illustrate that as far as I know Chinese people
                      are very polite to the outside but inside their feelings are "normal"and
                      not different from any other people. Maybe I'm biased because I got a
                      treatment that is beyond believe. On the other hand Chinese people
                      told me that they treat me like a Dutchman with a Chinese soul. The
                      greatest compliment that can be given to anybody. I really feel
                      privileged to know China and of course will continue to investigate in
                      culture and philosophies.

                      Andries