Sad to see China so disconnected with it's own culture

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14 11:33 PM
      I find it very sad whenever I visit China to see the people so
      disconnected with the culture of the place. This is in contrast to
      the cities of Europe, India and every other ancient land. The history
      of a place is seen in every aspect of life, from the monuments to the
      practices of the people. Not so in China. There are numerous
      examples of forts, palaces, temples and monuments but one gets a sense
      of the people who live in or around the places only serve more as
      caretakers instead of representatives of a continuous line of unbroken
      culture.

      Where are the noble houses of old, the great ancient houses of dukes
      and warriors like those you find in Japan? Often you will see
      elaborate houses of long dead officials or magnificent pagodas of past
      glories but where are the people who's descendants once inhabited the
      place? Who are the proud owners of their legacy? No where to be
      found. Instead you find knowledgeable but ultimately disconnected
      caretakers/tourist guides who merely point out what was and what used
      to be. Go anywhere in Europe and you will see the difference. The
      castles and towns boast a proud history with suits of armor and
      banners belonging to a forgotten era, still fluttering from ancient
      but lived in halls, carrying their legacy forward out of the middle
      ages into the future.

      Sadder still are the vandalized monuments of a past violent heritage.
      Everywhere are slashed statues, headless monuments and lost heritage,
      victims of a turbulent past. The mindless wastage and devastation of
      the Great Leap forward and the Cultural Revolutions have helped erased
      off more of our Chinese culture than all the "barbarian" hordes of the
      past could ever hope to have done. We ourselves as Chinese have
      helped lose our own culture and heritage to the point where we can no
      longer stand on our own achievements but instead to need to emulate
      the cultures of others, most notably that of the west. In Italy, you
      can gaze at the ancient spendour of the Romans who lived 2000 years
      before our time. Yet in China, the Han dynasty of the same era cannot
      boast a single monument or structure which can still be seen today
      except in crumbling far off desert and mountain outposts.

      What legacy can anyone in China now, truly claim to have? How many of
      our finest families and histories were lost or have been forced into
      exile to Taiwan and abroad? How did we, as a culture, fall so far?