Re: [DragonSeedLegacy] Re: Marco Polo

  • Alessandro Ranieri
    Message 1 of 138 , Apr 27, 2004
      Guys,
      Allow me to get back to you at later time on the answer to Jane's question. Although Italy is my home, I have been living outside Italy for long time. A little like Elke. She from Germany but now living in Australia. I know who Marco Polo is and have read about his travels to China. But Italians are generally divided on his accomplishments. Some question if he even went to China since he not mention seeing Great Wall in his works. Some say he not first Italian to visit China.

      I need to study this more and talk to my friends in Italy. I get back to you later.

      Thanks,
      Alex.

      kitmengleong <kmleong@...> wrote:
      Hi Jane,

      Marco Polo arrived in China dring the Yuan Dynasty and toured the
      country extensively. However, as he was a celebrity of sorts during
      his stay in China he would have been hosted by many Mongol nobles and,
      in my opinion, probably got a slightly skewered view of life in China,
      especially the normal Chinese viewpoint might have gotten lost because
      of the Yuan lords would have tried to portray their own viewpoint and
      achievements.

      Let me get back to you on this. I haven't concentrated much on that
      period so far (too much to research - 4000+ years). I'll try and post
      more information on the period of Marco Polo's travels here later. I
      still have a lot of stuff on my harddrive I haven't found the time to
      sort out yet.

      Good question to Alex. Should be interesting to get the other side
      of the story from an Italian/European. What is the prevailing
      European view on Marco Polo's journey?

      Jieming

      --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, Jane <ming18ming2003@y...> wrote:
      > The Venace trader Marco Polo told in his jounal 700 years ago that
      he stayed in China for 13 years and covered a big area of China with
      his journey. Alex, is Marco Polo well known in Italy with his trip in
      China? What do people think of him and his trip and China? He
      apparently admired the CHina then of its glory and powerful state and
      wealth plus the many advanced devolopments compared to the west then.
      He was in his book amazed at the paper currency and also the coal that
      people use while the west was using something else which I forgot
      about. Can Jieming tell us something more about the society and the
      advanced achievements of that period in China's history and what
      things made Marco Polo so fancy of China then? I know Marco Polo was a
      businessman and he only told something that interested him but ignored
      a lot of things typically Chinese such as the Chinese tea and this
      made a lot of people doubt whether Marco Polo did make the trip or
      not. I guess we can discuss a bit further

      Message 138 of 138 , Jan 21, 2007
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the DragonSeedLegacy
        group.

        File : /hot military club.html
        Uploaded by : hotmilitarymatch19 <hotmilitarymatch19@...>
        Description : Hot military club free to join! Have fun with hot military girls and guys!