Re: [DragonSeedLegacy] Re: Chinese in America

  • Alessandro Ranieri
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2004
      Ah Jieming,
      Thanks for long answer. I not expect you to talk about yourself, but thanks for answer.

      Alex.

      kitmengleong <kmleong@...> wrote:
      Hi Alex,

      No I haven't read the book. I'll look it up in the library or
      bookstore and pick one up to read. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Why do the Chinese prefer to settle in other countries instead of
      staying in China? I believe it's not limited to just the Chinese.
      Many people of other cultures do the same too. Basically they are
      looking for a better life than the one they left behind. Often when
      a person migrates, it is often because they want a change, a chance
      to grow. Going to another place helps this by allowing a complete
      break from the expectations that a person grows up with.

      Take for example, a young adult growing up in England, who attended
      a public school, have friends who drink at the local pub every
      saturday, has a father who works in the town's main industrial plant
      together with some of his friend's and neighbor's fathers. So his
      person, is seen by his society to be another one of them. He is
      expected to fit in and "join" the rest of them and what they do. Of
      course he might break free of this to pursue a dream, becoming
      something other than his peers, but the social pressures to conform
      will always be there. His mother may nag him for not being sensible
      and following in his father's footsteps to work in the local
      industry, his friends may jeer at him for not joining them at the
      regular bar to drink every week, his girlfriend expects him to be
      just like her dad and to live a "normal" life.

      Now if you allow this person to go to a new place. What happens?
      He is suddenly free of the expectations, free of the social
      responsibilities and free to be whatever his want to be. He can be
      loud, or soft-spoken, aggressive or passive, eccentric or normal...
      it becomes his choice. This is simply because a new place does not
      place the same kind of expectations on him. The people in the new
      place would see a strange person and not know what to expect from
      him. This creates a void in expections which he can then fill,
      defining himself as he goes along, basically telling people what he
      want them to expect of him.

      I hope I am making sense to you. I know this first hand because
      this is how I felt when I went overseas to Canada to study.
      Suddenly, I found myself in a strange place, where people were
      different and things I was used to were no longer around. In such a
      situation, a person tends to go two ways, becoming more conservative
      and clinging tightly to his own culture/beliefs and hence
      subconsciously rejecting the new culture of the new place, or the
      person would learn to embrace the change and freedom of not having
      to conform to society expectations. There was no need to follow the
      old culture because no one would say anything if you didn't, yet at
      the same time, there was also little pressure to follow the new
      culture because everyone knew you were from another country and
      didn't expect you to be the same as them. Left in the middle
      without a need to go either way, you were free to be who ever you
      wanted to be and the people around you would have to accept you as
      you were simple because they had no other frame of reference.

      Hehehe, ok that was fairly long but this is although not the full
      reason, at least a major part of the reason why many people who go
      overseas always finds "The Grass is Greener on the Other Side".

      Jieming

      --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, Alessandro Ranieri
      <alexcranieri@y...> wrote:
      > Jieming,
      > Have you read a book called "The Chinese in America" by Iris
      Chang? It talk about all the times when Chinese in China, Hong Kong
      and Taiwan left to move to U.S. It very interesting. I would
      recommend to you.

      > In the book, the author suggest that once Chinese go to America,
      they have no desire to return to China. Even the first Chinese who
      went to San Francisco in 1850 to look for gold, when they found
      there was no gold left, they still chose to stay in America. I
      wonder what this say about the Chinese. That they see better life
      outside China? Also, why would Chinese want to settle in country
      where they are small minority? Wouldn't Chinese want to be live
      among mainly Chinese people and where everyone speak Chinese?

      > I not sure if my questions are suitable for your group, so if you
      do not have any answer, it is no problem.

      > Thanks,
      > Alex.
      >
      > kitmengleong <kmleong@a...> wrote:
      > Hehehe, you're welcome! I still have a lot of stuff in my
      harddrive
      > waiting to be uploaded. I've been busy doing a lot of reading and
      > research lately. Hope to get them all up soon... as soon as I
      manage
      > to sort them all out.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Jieming
      >

      > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, Alessandro Ranieri
      > <alexcranieri@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ah, that make sense. Again, my thanks for create a very
      interesting
      > group.
      > >
      > > Alex.
      > >
      > > kitmengleong wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Alex,
      > >
      > > Here's my explanation of the name DragonSeed.
      > >
      > > DragonSeed - Descendants of the Dragon
      > >
      > > The Dragon is China/Chinese Culture and History
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Jieming

      Service.