Duan Wu Jie 端午节

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2007
      Duan Wu Jie (Dragon Boat Festival) is a day to commemorate the Chinese
      patriot and poet, Qu Yuan (屈原).

      Happy eating zongzi everyone!
    • kim kheong ho
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2007
        Mmmph, i eaten so many zonzi that made by my mum. Unfortunately my wife did not make my favourite zonzi (bigger than usual size).

        As i recalled this Duan Wu Jie is for rememberence of Qu Yuan (340-278 BC.), the pioneer poet of ancient Chin who commit suicide by jumping into the Miluo River. Locals tried to searched for him in the river but unable to recover his body. To prevent the fishes from attacking Qu Yuan's body, the local peasants make zonzi and dropping the dumplings of glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo or reed leaves into the river.

        Since that time, it has been customary on this day to enjoy Zong Zi dumplings as a memorial to the patriotic on this day (May 5th - chinese calender) as a memorial to the patriotic poet who feel hopeless about the fate of his state. What a sad and pathetic story.

        Anyway, we do enjoy dumplings as our traditional dish which also celebrated by dragon boat race event here .

        bye now.

        Regards,
        Kim Kheong

        kitmengleong <kmleong@...> wrote:
        Duan Wu Jie (Dragon Boat Festival) is a day to commemorate the Chinese
        patriot and poet, Qu Yuan (&#23624;&#21407; ).

        Happy eating zongzi everyone!

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 20, 2007
          Hehehe yeah, the chinese love their tragic tales. Yuefei,
          Luibei/Guangong/Zhangfei, Liangshan "brothers", Quyuan...

          I've been eating zongzi none stop too. Can't get enough of it yet...
          although I'd probably be so sick of it by this weekend I won't touch
          it until this time next year. hahaha

          Jieming

          --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, kim kheong ho <kimkheong@...>
          wrote:

          > Mmmph, i eaten so many zonzi that made by my mum. Unfortunately my
          wife did not make my favourite zonzi (bigger than usual size).

          > As i recalled this Duan Wu Jie is for rememberence of Qu Yuan
          (340-278 BC.), the pioneer poet of ancient Chin who commit suicide by
          jumping into the Miluo River. Locals tried to searched for him in the
          river but unable to recover his body. To prevent the fishes from
          attacking Qu Yuan's body, the local peasants make zonzi and dropping
          the dumplings of glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo or reed leaves into
          the river.

          > Since that time, it has been customary on this day to enjoy Zong Zi
          dumplings as a memorial to the patriotic on this day (May 5th -
          chinese calender) as a memorial to the patriotic poet who feel
          hopeless about the fate of his state. What a sad and pathetic story.

          > Anyway, we do enjoy dumplings as our traditional dish which also
          celebrated by dragon boat race event here .

          > bye now.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Kim Kheong
          >
          > kitmengleong <kmleong@...> wrote:
          > Duan Wu Jie (Dragon Boat Festival) is a day to commemorate
          the Chinese
          > patriot and poet, Qu Yuan (屈原).
          >
          > Happy eating zongzi everyone!

          > New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find
          out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win
          prizes.