Re: Re: Constellations, Palaces, Ancient Chinese Astronomy

  • MessiahTwain
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2007
      ~~
      ~~~~

      thanks again, AS,

      here are some likely good sources I have
      been referred to:

      In Yi Jing Chinese Astronomy, IC8K wrote:

      There are quite a few books written on the
      subject of Chinese astronomy. The classic by
      Chan Jun Wei‚ titled "The History of Chinese
      Astronomy" is an excellent reference.

      There is a brand new edition of this book
      (in 3 volumes) on sale in Hong Kong and
      China. The listed price is approx. RMB 120 (?)

      In ChinaHistoryForum.com, Yun wrote:

      Look for this book: "The Chinese Sky during the
      Han. Constellating Stars & Society", by Sun
      Xiaochun and Jacob Kistemaker (Brill, 1997).
      It has star maps of Chinese constellations,
      and lots of information on Chinese astronomy.
      Probably the best English-language text on
      the topic.

      Millennium Twain

      In alchemycalmonkey, ariaksatri2 <aryaksatriya> wrote:

      Hello MessiahTwain:

      The "Taoist Cannon" is a 3 volume compendium
      of Taoist scripture as known to academics, with
      some abstracts. It is a practical resource
      guide...although not everything we find listed
      has a translation in print. Walter's book has
      some diagrams, and good descriptions. It likely
      won't be exactly what you need, but the references
      will be most important. Needham...some diagrams;
      vast scholarship. My advice is to go to a
      university library, and explore these books
      there, before buying if you have qualms.
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2007
        I've posted star charts for the 3 heavenly enclosures (constellation
        groupings) and started with the first few of the 28 mansions
        (constellations). Will get more up over the next few days. I
        misplaced a favourite book of mine last Friday and am in a grumpy
        mood. hehe

        Jieming

        --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, MessiahTwain
        <yonibluestar@...> wrote:

        > ~~
        > ~~~~
        >
        > thanks again, AS,
        >
        > here are some likely good sources I have
        > been referred to:
        >
        > In Yi Jing Chinese Astronomy, IC8K wrote:
        >
        > There are quite a few books written on the
        > subject of Chinese astronomy. The classic by
        > Chan Jun Wei‚ titled "The History of Chinese
        > Astronomy" is an excellent reference.
        >
        > There is a brand new edition of this book
        > (in 3 volumes) on sale in Hong Kong and
        > China. The listed price is approx. RMB 120 (?)
        >
        > In ChinaHistoryForum.com, Yun wrote:
        >
        > Look for this book: "The Chinese Sky during the
        > Han. Constellating Stars & Society", by Sun
        > Xiaochun and Jacob Kistemaker (Brill, 1997).
        > It has star maps of Chinese constellations,
        > and lots of information on Chinese astronomy.
        > Probably the best English-language text on
        > the topic.
        >

        > Millennium Twain
        >
        > In alchemycalmonkey, ariaksatri2 <aryaksatriya> wrote:
        >
        > Hello MessiahTwain:
        >
        > The "Taoist Cannon" is a 3 volume compendium
        > of Taoist scripture as known to academics, with
        > some abstracts. It is a practical resource
        > guide...although not everything we find listed
        > has a translation in print. Walter's book has
        > some diagrams, and good descriptions. It likely
        > won't be exactly what you need, but the references
        > will be most important. Needham...some diagrams;
        > vast scholarship. My advice is to go to a
        > university library, and explore these books
        > there, before buying if you have qualms.

      • Millennium Twain
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 25, 2007
          Gong Xi Fa Cai, Jieming!

          we are definitely continuing with the Lunar
          New Year celebration!

          bless you for those first six constellations
          and enclosures in the DragonSeedLegacy Astronomy
          PHOTOS album!

          will tell everyone to come and see them.

          in the year of the Golden Pig,

          we are running!

          Millennium Twain

          ~~~~
          ~~~~~~

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 25, 2007
            ~~

            we are starting to review them, Jieming!

            my wife Megumi and I found the bright star
            Vega (Orihime in Japanese pronunciation) on
            the bottom center left of the "Heavenly
            Market" group of constellations.

            will have to break out our starcharts to
            put names on more of the stars and palaces
            (and ask your help with the Chinese names!)

            sorry to hear about your misplaced book.

            Millennium

            ~~~~
            ~~~~~~

            kitmengleong wrote:

            Re: Constellations, Palaces, Ancient Chinese Astronomy

            I've posted star charts for the 3 heavenly enclosures
            (constellation groupings) and started with the first
            few of the 28 mansions (constellations) . Will get
            more up over the next few days. I misplaced a favorite

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 26, 2007
              Hi,

              Glad you like them. I can help by putting up the comparison star
              charts. I have comparison charts showing both the Western and the
              Chinese star names. I'll scan them in as soon as I finish uploading
              the rest of the Mansions.

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 27, 2007
                a WHOLE world of sharing!

                Millennium