Re: My book has been published!

  • omabi_us
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 25, 2006
      Hi Jieming,
      "The Warlord's Alarm," my children's book based on the water clock,
      just came out this month. I have been traveling around California
      some doing signings at schools, bookstores and a children's
      festival.
      At the festival a man who had been a teacher in Laos came up and
      taught me to multiply on my abacus. One of my books, "The Warlord's
      Beads," is based on the counting frame and I display an abacus and
      show how to use it to count. I had learned to add, subtract, multiply
      and divide with the beads when I was in college . . . but hadn't used
      those skills in many years.
      Work on the biography of the Chinese/California blacksmith Leong
      Kit Kee, progresses slowly. I am trying to document everything very
      carefully. I am presently savoring two books I just purchased: "Songs
      of Gold Mountain, Cantonese Rhymes from San Francisco Chinatown"
      Marlon K. Hom; and "Chinese American Voices From the Gold Rush to the
      Present" Judy Yung, Gordon Chang and Him Mark Lai. These books help
      me better understand life in California in the days of the gold rush.
      Are you planning another book, Jieming?
      Omabi
      --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "kitmengleong" <kmleong@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Omabi,
      >
      > Thanks! How's your latest book coming along?
      >
      > Jieming
      >
      > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "omabi_us" <goatmountain@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > CONGRATULATIONS! Omabi
      > >

      > > -- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "kitmengleong" <kmleong@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just letting you guys know that my book has been published!
      Yay!

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 25, 2006
        Hi Omabi,

        That sounds great! Quite a lot of research has gone into your books.
        I think the next one on Leong Kit Kee should be very interesting.
        When are you targeting that to be published?

        I'm not sure yet. I might try something different this time and am
        thinking of translating some of the old (China) Republican era books
        on the 2-handed sword which have never been published in English
        before instead.

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 26, 2006
          Hi Jieming,

          Looks like you are receiving good reviews on "Chinese Siege
          Warfare." I'm sure the translation you're considering will also be
          well received. Translations are so important to people like myself
          who must depend on secondary sources to do their research!

          As to a target publication date for Leong Kit Kee . . . I'm not even
          sure of a target date for completion of the manuscript. :) Omabi

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 27, 2006
            Hi Omabi!

            Yes I have. Some of the comments from people who've bought copies
            have been extremely flattering and that never ceases to amaze me as I
            feel that it's somewhat undeserved. It's just a history book on
            catapults with some pretty pictures sprinkled around!

            The book is currently sold in Singapore by Caesars & Renaissance
            Empire (Swords, Arms & Armour), in the US by RLT Publishing & Amazon
            (Dec 2006) and hopefully if my discussions go through, by Caliver
            Books in the UK by Xmas 2006.

            Other than that, I've been selling autographed copies off my website
            and it's quite interesting where my books have been mailed off to!

            I haven't actually started on my translations of the Jianshu yet but
            hope to start soon. That should be a fairly challenging project as
            many of the terms are quite technical. I also need to trace the
            original source illustrations of this Republican era manuscript that I
            have. I'm hoping that it's from the Ming Dynasty Wubeizhi. There's a
            full copy at the National Univ. of Singapore library. I need to go
            and do a comparison.

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2006
              Hi Jieming, Maybe research is the best part of writing!
              All the best, Omabi