Re: Left-Wing Anti-Miscegenism

  • Ty
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
      > Indeed. I have considered mentioning to Ty, the fact that political
      > correctness doesn't extend to Asians may well mean they are lumped
      > with dominate societies and thereby not protected by white-bread
      > liberal sensitivities.
      > Omabi

      It just feels peculiar as a person vulnerable in both the conservative
      circle and the liberal circle, and when left-right devide is
      irrelevant, simply vulnerable in a section of North America where
      Asianness does not get the respect it deserves.

      At University I used to know a White liberal girl(probably "Green",
      left-ish are the more accurate stereotypes) who spent most of her time
      volunteering with Oxfam, Fairtrade and chaperoning Chinese, African
      and Southeast Asian international students. She tried a couple time to
      "probe the Chinese out of me" such as asking whether my lastname was
      Chan. But besides that she just avoided talking to me. Perhaps I don't
      fit her everyday perception of the "Chinese student" as accented,
      timid and huddling together, surrounded by bubbles. So, me speaking
      English without accent, not socializing with Chinese exchanged
      students might be upsetting this perception?

      What also gets on my nerves is the liberals' emphasis on "cultural
      sensitivity"---trying to do everything according to what they perceive
      to be "appropriate" to the ethnic person they interact with.

      On the flip side, conservatives in my area are too eager to contradict
      whatever they consider "political correctness". There isn't any
      resemblance of courtesy and refineness in their behavior. Not that
      they are particularly overt in their prejudice against certain groups.
      In fact they act fairly "color-blind" besides a fondness for racist
      jokes. But their preferrence for macho-ness and eschewing anything
      sophisticated just makes them such ignorant jerks to deal with. These
      people are by far the majority. I'm afraid a culture like this will
      suffer from a closeminded monotoneity and an unnecessary drive of
      assimilation toward manners and outlooks that are mediocre and provincial.

      But overall, I have more problems with liberals than with conservatives.
    • Ty
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
        > Indeed. I have considered mentioning to Ty, the fact that political
        > correctness doesn't extend to Asians may well mean they are lumped
        > with dominate societies and thereby not protected by white-bread
        > liberal sensitivities.
        > Omabi

        I think it's usually the more radical feminists or ethnic pryde people
        that tend to lump Asians together with White Middle America.

        Provincial conservatives would never think of identifying with Asians,
        except for giving them roles like Kahn in King of the Hill.
      • Kenneth Blair
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
          If that nieve hippy type (the 'Greenie') doesn't treat you like an
          accented and timid exchange student then why is that surprising since
          you have perfect English and despite your complaint you seem quite able
          to cope? It seems unlikely anything she could do wouldn't upset you on
          some level, even treating you as a normal human being.
          By the sound of it you resent she didn't find you fascinating since her
          worst offense was only briefly discussing what your surname was.
          Did you really want her to treat you the same as those that need her
          help (a new foreign student) or is there simply no pleasing you?
          Nobody is forced to watch King of the Hill if it causes emotional pain
          or offence.
          I hear you say you have perfect English, so you surely can recognise
          King of the Hill and other more 'adult' cartoons as a parody.
          Considering in such cartoons the current object of parody (could be a
          member of ANY group) might often be smarter than the in-bred white man
          (i.e trailer trash, slack jawed yokels, ignorant conservatives etc.) and
          come out better in the end would again suggest what you choose to find
          offense in the pretty harmless end of the spectrum. You needn't assume
          you are the only object of a comedy.
          It seems there is no way anyone might please you whether they treat you
          differently or treat you indifferently or treat you the same or treat
          you special.
          So, is 'lumping you together' or 'treating you differently' or
          attempting to act "appropriate" to the ethnic person more evil?
          You seem to resent all. Your only solution offered so far is that
          society must recognise and praise Asians more.
          I think credit should be given where credit is deserved but the world
          doesn't owe anyone anything. When Asians excell in any field, or the
          colour of the culture is revealed there is no shortage of collective or
          individual recognition & respect. Granted, this doesn't happen 24-7 but
          that would then just be a hollow PC policy and quite patronising I feel.
          .....If you really want your own holiday then petition the government.

          You can't always change the world but you can learn how to cope.
          As I said, I don't have time for the white mans burden & I don't have
          time for the perceptions of others over mixed race couples. If I cared
          what certain people thought I could be upset constantly.
          Some people will always be ignorant and unlikely to change.
          Hang out with your friends, be nice to your mum & change the TV channel.

          Something like 'Khan' in King of the Hill should be like water off a
          ducks back.

          > Indeed. I have considered mentioning to Ty, the fact that political
          > correctness doesn't extend to Asians may well mean they are lumped
          > with dominate societies and thereby not protected by white-bread
          > liberal sensitivities.
          > Omabi

          It just feels peculiar as a person vulnerable in both the conservative
          circle and the liberal circle, and when left-right devide is
          irrelevant, simply vulnerable in a section of North America where
          Asianness does not get the respect it deserves.

          At University I used to know a White liberal girl(probably "Green",
          left-ish are the more accurate stereotypes) who spent most of her time
          volunteering with Oxfam, Fairtrade and chaperoning Chinese, African
          and Southeast Asian international students. She tried a couple time to
          "probe the Chinese out of me" such as asking whether my lastname was
          Chan. But besides that she just avoided talking to me. Perhaps I don't
          fit her everyday perception of the "Chinese student" as accented,
          timid and huddling together, surrounded by bubbles. So, me speaking
          English without accent, not socializing with Chinese exchanged
          students might be upsetting this perception?

          What also gets on my nerves is the liberals' emphasis on "cultural
          sensitivity"---trying to do everything according to what they perceive
          to be "appropriate" to the ethnic person they interact with.

          On the flip side, conservatives in my area are too eager to contradict
          whatever they consider "political correctness". There isn't any
          resemblance of courtesy and refineness in their behavior. Not that
          they are particularly overt in their prejudice against certain groups.
          In fact they act fairly "color-blind" besides a fondness for racist
          jokes. But their preferrence for macho-ness and eschewing anything
          sophisticated just makes them such ignorant jerks to deal with. These
          people are by far the majority. I'm afraid a culture like this will
          suffer from a closeminded monotoneity and an unnecessary drive of
          assimilation toward manners and outlooks that are mediocre and
          provincial.

          But overall, I have more problems with liberals than with conservatives.

          I think it's usually the more radical feminists or ethnic pryde people
          that tend to lump Asians together with White Middle America.

          Provincial conservatives would never think of identifying with Asians,
          except for giving them roles like Kahn in King of the Hill.

          DragonSeedLegacy
          Have Pride, Not Arrogance
          Promote Diversity, Not Chauvinism
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          This communication, including any attachments, is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not read it - please contact me immediately, destroy it, and do not copy or use any part of this communication or disclose anything about it. Thank you. Please note that this communication does not designate an information system for the purposes of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002.
        • Kenneth Blair
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
            Why not focus on less negative things? You can find offense if you
            really want to find it but instead consider a character like Jin in Lost
            just for example.
            He is more capible than the Europeans as a provider on the island, more
            than once they are clumsy and he is fishing with ease or instructing
            them how to do so.
            He is a physically brave & moral character, even fought with the
            Nigerian Eko when he oppossed rescuing Micheal....he shows loyalty and
            courage and followed his missing friend into the central island despite
            any protests by others that were afraid of what was there. He showed
            strong principles and empathy with common folk when it showed his life
            in Korea, and it even cost him his job since he had concern for people
            without money.
            He might not be a perfect husband but as a character he displays many
            virtues that are lacking in the other (white) survivors.

            You simply see the glass is half empty.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
              --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth Blair"
              <Kenneth.Blair@...> wrote:

              > Why not focus on less negative things? You can find offense if you
              > really want to find it but instead consider a character like Jin in Lost
              > just for example.

              Well, the real problem is that I have not been able to comment on the
              negative things for a long time. I guess this is one of the reasons
              why Asians, especially the Chinese, are characterized as "spineless"
              and "lacking sense of justice". On the other hand, Jews and Blacks are
              just too ready and too eager to react on anything they consider
              anti-semitic or anti-black, in my observation.

              > He is more capible than the Europeans as a provider on the island, more
              > than once they are clumsy and he is fishing with ease or instructing
              > them how to do so.

              This is one of my observations on TV or movies. Asian guys are
              sometimes characterized the "model minority": more than capable and
              more than proper. In the comedy "Stone Age", only the Asian caveman
              was characterized as being able to speak perfect English, whereas
              cavemen of other races spoke a bastardized form of Russian.

              I don't have much grudge particularly against the "model minority"
              stereotype.