Mozi: attacking the city

  • tobias.rosenberger
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2006
      Hey Liang Jieming et....,

      i just googled Mozi Book XIV chapter 52ff and found out that you were into it...
      I am a german student of performance arts with focus on new media, and i am very
      interested in ancient greek and chinese texts. After a long research i am planning to do a
      performance / video / installation about the cited mozi passages, which i think for an
      masterpiece of literature. since i am neither a sinologist nor an historian i would be very
      glad if there is somebody in this forum who is willed to talk about it. i am very interested
      in the text because of its richness of possibilities, its heterogenity, its form as a list, its
      technical and philosophical questions and so on and i want to get in a deep dialog with the
      text.
      if sb wants to answer by email, my favourite adress is:
      tobiasrosenberger@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2006
        Hi,

        Which parts of the Mozi are you interested in? I have a copy of Prof.
        Yates' 600 page dissertation on the Mozi Books 14 & 15 from the
        Harvard Library but I've yet to even read a fraction of it. :-)

        Jieming
        DragonSeedLegacy
        ChineseCultureOnline

        --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "tobias.rosenberger"
        <tobias.rosenberger@y...> wrote:

        > Hey Liang Jieming et....,
        >
        > i just googled Mozi Book XIV chapter 52ff and found out that you
        were into it...
        > I am a german student of performance arts with focus on new media,
        and i am very
        > interested in ancient greek and chinese texts. After a long research
        i am planning to do a
        > performance / video / installation about the cited mozi passages,
        which i think for an
        > masterpiece of literature. since i am neither a sinologist nor an
        historian i would be very
        > glad if there is somebody in this forum who is willed to talk about
        it. i am very interested
        > in the text because of its richness of possibilities, its
        heterogenity, its form as a list, its
        > technical and philosophical questions and so on and i want to get in
        a deep dialog with the
        > text.
        > if sb wants to answer by email, my favourite adress is:
        > tobiasrosenberger@h...

      • tobias.rosenberger
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2006
          Hi,

          i am interested in book 14 /15, starting with chapter 52.
          i have an old fashioned german translation from the 1910s, and i dont dare it too much.
          i am especially interested in the aesthetical aspects of the text, in the heterogenity of the
          lists, structure...
          i like quite much the monstrosity (this term is not meant as negative) of the wall, the
          logique of the 12 chinese symbols for attacking the city, the logique of their order and
          placement.
          i am very interested in pictures of the text - mentally as concrete.
          i would be very happy to find an expert or sb. who is at least very interested in mozi and
          this text, to discuss with him / her central aspects of the texts. my knowledge of chinese
          language is very poor indeed, but since i did a performance with chinese actors 2 years
          ago i started deep reading of chinese philosophy and literature.
          i think this text could be very interesting out of our perspective today.

          tobias

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 22, 2006
            Ah, how much of the translation have you read? I've not read the
            whole of books 14 and 15 yet myself though I've been picking out
            paragraphs and details here and there, those relating to siege engines.

            Another friend of mine has two different modern day chinese
            tranlations of the Mozi and has been picking through them for
            differences in translation to try and understand the original which we
            haven't been able to get our hands on.