Re: Tang Dresses costume help

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
      Hi!

      Ok, I had to reformat my Harddrive and am now very tediously
      reinstalling all my programmes and settings but thankfully my data was
      saved though I needed to yank the whole HD out of my laptop and plug
      it in as an external drive to another computer to do that.

      Anyway, I've posted mostly photos of people in Tang style clothes
      instead of tang era paintings so you can see the patterns more
      clearly. I've just selected the most typical types of dresses for
      both men and women. I've also uploaded a chart showing some typical
      patterns that Tang women painted on their foreheads. :-)

      The sketched picture shows many different clothing styles and has one
      for a Tang child.

      The styles for both male and female would have been very similar, wrap
      round inner wear tied with a sash at the waist and an outer coat. Men
      have a third cotton layer they wear inside which you can just see
      peeking out from his collar in the picture I posted.

      I'll try and get more photos that show more details. Hope this helps.

      Jieming
      DragonSeedLegacy
      ChineseCultureOnline

      --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "Arianna Steffia dOvste"

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
        Here's an English site that describes Tang clothes in detail, complete
        with names of the different styles. :-)

        http://www.library.utoronto.ca/east/students03/tai_amy/sui_tang_five.htm

        <stephehawk@y...> wrote:

        > Thank you! I can hardly wait! Also, do you have any info on what the
        men were wearing?
        > -arianna
        > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "kitmengleong"
        <kmleong@a...> wrote:

        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I'll put some pictures into a photo folder called "Tang Clothing"
        > > later. My freaking hd isn't letting me login to my computer which is
        > > really making me mad. All this after my old hd crashed just two
        > > months ago too.
        > >
        > > Jieming
        > > DragonSeedLegacy
        > > ChineseCultureOnline

      • Arianna Steffia dOvste
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
          OH THESE ARE FABULOUS!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I am really excited now! I can easily
          make these I think!!! You have my deepest gratitude!
          I will upload photos when I am done to show you how much you have helped.
          Again, many thanks to you!
          -arianna
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
            Hi Arianna,

            You're welcome! Yes please do show us photos! Do let me know
            whatelse you need. I've been trying to find hairpatterns but so far
            nothing yet.

            :-)

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 21, 2005
              Here's a site on a little bit of the history of Chinese Women's
              undergarments. :-)

              http://server.cnenshi.com/our/women/women_zx/2005_08_23_08_46_49_39716.shtml

              <stephehawk@y...> wrote:

              > OH THESE ARE FABULOUS!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I am really excited
              now! I can easily
              > make these I think!!! You have my deepest gratitude!
              > I will upload photos when I am done to show you how much you have
              helped.
              > Again, many thanks to you!
              > -arianna

            • Arianna Steffia dOvste
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 22, 2005
                Thank you for finding this. Unfortuately, I cannot read Chinese. :(
                I can push buttons though.. I will see what the links lead me to. (Hopefully not to trouble!)
                ;)
                Thanks again!

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 5, 2006
                  How's it coming along? :-)

                  Jieming

                  <stephehawk@y...> wrote:

                  > Jieming,
                  >
                  > I am located in Central Arkansas, USA. I am in the Society from the
                  Shire of Lagerdamm,
                  > Kingdom of Gleann Abhann. Our orgainization is the Socitey for
                  Creative Anachronism. We
                  > are online if you have any curiosity about it. sca.org.
                  >
                  > I don't know, but I think I'd like to focus on the time period
                  between 1400-1600. I really
                  > don't have a lot of information as of yet, so I don't know how the
                  fashions may have
                  > changed or stayed the same. Myself, I recreate 1490-1550 Venice. So
                  I am still trying to
                  > stay in those years. However, I am open to going earlier.
                  > I will more than likely have to use rayon or cotton instead of silks
                  due to cost and
                  > availabilty in my area. I will be sewing these myself. Any and all
                  advice and information will
                  > be greatly appreciated.
                  >
                  > One of the things we (the sca) try to do perfect, is the attempt at
                  being true to the time
                  > periods and cultures that we re-enact. This is why I have come to
                  your egroup.

                  > We are trying, we are researching everything we are doing via the
                  internet and what books
                  > we have found, but agian, we are for the most part caucasian
                  westerners! LOL! But we are
                  > very excited and intrigued by what we are learning.
                  > Our event is January 28. I am also working on making decorations for
                  our feast, and foods
                  > for our feast as well. We are serving pork (my assignment), chicken,
                  rice and vegetables
                  > along with fresh fruits. I will be making red envelopes with "good
                  Luck" stenciled on them
                  > in gold metalic paint. I am hoping to make golden "fu" dogs for the
                  entrance way (paper
                  > mache) if I can find good pictures of various angles so I can sculpt
                  them in the round. We
                  > are incorporating a lot of red and gold in our event. Our kingdoms
                  colors are red, black
                  > and white, but I understand that black is not used during new years
                  celebrations, so we
                  > are using a lot of red instead.
                  >
                  > I am sorry, I have rambled on. I am very excited and am looking
                  forward to hearing from
                  > the group on this project.
                  >
                  > thank you very much for any thoughts you will share,
                  > arianna
                  >
                  > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "kitmengleong"
                  <kmleong@a...> wrote:

                  > > Hi Arianna,
                  > >
                  > > How interesting! Where do you do your medieval reinactments?
                  > >
                  > > Which period in Chinese history are you looking at?
                  > >
                  > > Jieming
                  > > DragonSeedLegacy
                  > > ChineseCultureOnline

                • Arianna Steffia dOvste
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 6, 2006
                    SLOWLY! LOL! I am hoping to get a block of time this weekend to finish up. I will put of
                    photos as soon as I can. I am so excited (and more than a little nervous) I have joined 2
                    other Chinese history forums to do my research! One was off a link on one of the photo
                    you sent me. this is really fun!
                    thank you again,
                    Arianna
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006
                      Hi Arianna,

                      I'm just wondering whether you made any patterns for your Tang
                      dresses. I have someone asking for Hanfu patterns and I thought of
                      you. Would you be able to help?

                      Cheers,