Re: Tang Dresses costume help

  • Arianna Steffia dOvste
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
      Thank you! I can hardly wait! Also, do you have any info on what the men were wearing?
      -arianna

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
        Hi!

        Ok, I had to reformat my Harddrive and am now very tediously
        reinstalling all my programmes and settings but thankfully my data was
        saved though I needed to yank the whole HD out of my laptop and plug
        it in as an external drive to another computer to do that.

        Anyway, I've posted mostly photos of people in Tang style clothes
        instead of tang era paintings so you can see the patterns more
        clearly. I've just selected the most typical types of dresses for
        both men and women. I've also uploaded a chart showing some typical
        patterns that Tang women painted on their foreheads. :-)

        The sketched picture shows many different clothing styles and has one
        for a Tang child.

        The styles for both male and female would have been very similar, wrap
        round inner wear tied with a sash at the waist and an outer coat. Men
        have a third cotton layer they wear inside which you can just see
        peeking out from his collar in the picture I posted.

        I'll try and get more photos that show more details. Hope this helps.

        Jieming
        DragonSeedLegacy
        ChineseCultureOnline

        --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "Arianna Steffia dOvste"

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
          Here's an English site that describes Tang clothes in detail, complete
          with names of the different styles. :-)

          http://www.library.utoronto.ca/east/students03/tai_amy/sui_tang_five.htm

          <stephehawk@y...> wrote:

          > Thank you! I can hardly wait! Also, do you have any info on what the
          men were wearing?
          > -arianna
          > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "kitmengleong"
          <kmleong@a...> wrote:

          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I'll put some pictures into a photo folder called "Tang Clothing"
          > > later. My freaking hd isn't letting me login to my computer which is
          > > really making me mad. All this after my old hd crashed just two
          > > months ago too.
          > >
          > > Jieming
          > > DragonSeedLegacy
          > > ChineseCultureOnline

        • Arianna Steffia dOvste
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
            OH THESE ARE FABULOUS!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I am really excited now! I can easily
            make these I think!!! You have my deepest gratitude!
            I will upload photos when I am done to show you how much you have helped.
            Again, many thanks to you!
            -arianna
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
              Hi Arianna,

              You're welcome! Yes please do show us photos! Do let me know
              whatelse you need. I've been trying to find hairpatterns but so far
              nothing yet.

              :-)

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 21, 2005
                Here's a site on a little bit of the history of Chinese Women's
                undergarments. :-)

                http://server.cnenshi.com/our/women/women_zx/2005_08_23_08_46_49_39716.shtml

                <stephehawk@y...> wrote:

                > OH THESE ARE FABULOUS!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I am really excited
                now! I can easily
                > make these I think!!! You have my deepest gratitude!
                > I will upload photos when I am done to show you how much you have
                helped.
                > Again, many thanks to you!
                > -arianna

              • Arianna Steffia dOvste
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 22, 2005
                  Thank you for finding this. Unfortuately, I cannot read Chinese. :(
                  I can push buttons though.. I will see what the links lead me to. (Hopefully not to trouble!)
                  ;)
                  Thanks again!

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 5, 2006
                    How's it coming along? :-)

                    Jieming

                    <stephehawk@y...> wrote:

                    > Jieming,
                    >
                    > I am located in Central Arkansas, USA. I am in the Society from the
                    Shire of Lagerdamm,
                    > Kingdom of Gleann Abhann. Our orgainization is the Socitey for
                    Creative Anachronism. We
                    > are online if you have any curiosity about it. sca.org.
                    >
                    > I don't know, but I think I'd like to focus on the time period
                    between 1400-1600. I really
                    > don't have a lot of information as of yet, so I don't know how the
                    fashions may have
                    > changed or stayed the same. Myself, I recreate 1490-1550 Venice. So
                    I am still trying to
                    > stay in those years. However, I am open to going earlier.
                    > I will more than likely have to use rayon or cotton instead of silks
                    due to cost and
                    > availabilty in my area. I will be sewing these myself. Any and all
                    advice and information will
                    > be greatly appreciated.
                    >
                    > One of the things we (the sca) try to do perfect, is the attempt at
                    being true to the time
                    > periods and cultures that we re-enact. This is why I have come to
                    your egroup.

                    > We are trying, we are researching everything we are doing via the
                    internet and what books
                    > we have found, but agian, we are for the most part caucasian
                    westerners! LOL! But we are
                    > very excited and intrigued by what we are learning.
                    > Our event is January 28. I am also working on making decorations for
                    our feast, and foods
                    > for our feast as well. We are serving pork (my assignment), chicken,
                    rice and vegetables
                    > along with fresh fruits. I will be making red envelopes with "good
                    Luck" stenciled on them
                    > in gold metalic paint. I am hoping to make golden "fu" dogs for the
                    entrance way (paper
                    > mache) if I can find good pictures of various angles so I can sculpt
                    them in the round. We
                    > are incorporating a lot of red and gold in our event. Our kingdoms
                    colors are red, black
                    > and white, but I understand that black is not used during new years
                    celebrations, so we
                    > are using a lot of red instead.
                    >
                    > I am sorry, I have rambled on. I am very excited and am looking
                    forward to hearing from
                    > the group on this project.
                    >
                    > thank you very much for any thoughts you will share,
                    > arianna
                    >
                    > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "kitmengleong"
                    <kmleong@a...> wrote:

                    > > Hi Arianna,
                    > >
                    > > How interesting! Where do you do your medieval reinactments?
                    > >
                    > > Which period in Chinese history are you looking at?
                    > >
                    > > Jieming
                    > > DragonSeedLegacy
                    > > ChineseCultureOnline

                  • Arianna Steffia dOvste
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 6, 2006
                      SLOWLY! LOL! I am hoping to get a block of time this weekend to finish up. I will put of
                      photos as soon as I can. I am so excited (and more than a little nervous) I have joined 2
                      other Chinese history forums to do my research! One was off a link on one of the photo
                      you sent me. this is really fun!
                      thank you again,
                      Arianna
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 11 8:30 PM
                        Hi Arianna,

                        I'm just wondering whether you made any patterns for your Tang
                        dresses. I have someone asking for Hanfu patterns and I thought of
                        you. Would you be able to help?

                        Cheers,