[DSL] Re: East and West, a waxing philosophy game

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 31, 2005
      --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Tatner <rattat@s...>
      wrote:

      Hi Rachel,

      Interesting points you raised. These are all greatly generalised of
      course. Many of the points are not even relevant these days with so
      many chinese adopting western practices over their own traditional ones.

      I think the perception that "westerners" favour the Northern and
      Western cardinal points is more rooted in Europe than in the US or
      Australia. You see it in the movies, art, literature etc.

      Anymore points you could add to the list we haven't come across yet?

      Jieming
      DragonSeedLegacy
      ChineseCultureOnline
    • juanjuan
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
        Jieming i posted to the Asiawind site . hope you dont' mind.

        jane

        --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "kitmengleong"
        <kmleong@a...> wrote:
> [...]
        > -----------------------
        > Western
        > Books are read from left to right
        >
        > Chinese
        > Books are read from right to left
        > -----------------------
        > Western
        > Surnames are last names
        >
        > Chinese
        > Surnames are first names
        > -----------------------
        > Western
        > Weddings use the color white
        >
        > Chinese
        > Funerals use the color white
        > -----------------------
        > Western
        > Preference for the North and West
        >
        > Chinese
        > Preference for the South and East
        > -----------------------
        > Western
        > The Western compass points north
        >
        > Chinese
        > The traditional Chinese compass points south
        > -----------------------
        > Western
        > Red generally represents chaos and evil
        >
        > Chinese
        > Red generally represents prosperity and happiness
        > ----------------------
        > Western
        > In the west, the dragon is generally considered dangerous,
        destructive
        > and evil
        >
        > Chinese
        > To the Chinese, the dragon is a noble creature who brings good luck
        > and good potents
        > ----------------------
        > Western
        > Rules and Regulations are written boardly but what is written is
        > enforced very strictly
        >
        > Chinese
        > Rules and Regulations are written very strictly but enforcement is
        > selective
        > ----------------------
        > Western
        > Emphasis is placed on the individual and independence. Society is a
        > collection of individuals
        >
        > Chinese
        > Emphasis is placed on the society and the role of the person in the
        > social fabric
        > ----------------------
        > Western
        > Situations are changed to suit the individual
        >
        > Chinese
        > The individual changes and adapts to the situation
        > ----------------------
        > Western
        > Fundamental belief in that man is born evil but can be saved as
        > expounded in the Christian/Jewish view of human nature
        >
        > Chinese
        > Fundamental belief in that man is born good but can be corrupted as
        > expounded in the Confucian view of human nature
        > ----------------------
        > Western
        > Emphasis on breathing correctly using the rise and fall of the chest
        >
        > Chinese
        > Emphasis on breathing correctly using the diaphragm to improve the
        Chi
        > ----------------------
        > Western
        > Encouraged to express and to show feelings
        >
        > Chinese
        > Encouraged to internalise and not to show emotions
        > ----------------------
        > Western
        > Presents are usually opened in front of the giver
        >
        > Chinese
        > Presents are usually opened in private
        > ----------------------
      • Ong Eng Wai
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
          Dear Jieming,

          > > -----------------------
          > > Western
          > > Preference for the North and West
          > >
          > > Chinese
          > > Preference for the South and East
          > > -----------------------

          Can you please elaborate on this?

          Eng Wai

        • Ty
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
            --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "juanjuan" <yijane01@m...> wrote:
            > Jieming i posted to the Asiawind site . hope you dont' mind.
            >
            > jane

            Post my list too if you want.
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
              Hi Jane, of course not. Go ahead.

              BTW, where have you been lately? Very quiet from you the last few
              months. :-)

              Jieming
              DragonSeedLegacy
              ChineseCultureOnline

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                Hi Eng Wai,

                Good to hear from you.

                It's just my observations. Very much generalised.

                Chinese have traditionally looked towards the south and the east as
                the prefered directions, going so far as to codify them into their
                concepts of fengshui too. Chinese compasses pointed south too. I
                think this preference might be a result of geography. Traditional
                northern/western threats may have burned a racial memory into our
                society. The south was also where China had room to expand, like the
                wild west of the US. Exotic and new, exciting and filled with
                possibilities.

                Western ideas, media etc are filled with iconology with if not
                reverence, at least a fascination with the north and the west. The
                Western sea is the realm of the gods in the Lord of the Rings, the
                NorthStar the guiding star, lots of examples when you look at naming
                systems etc. Again, I think a consequence of geography. Threats were
                always (after the assimulation of northern tribes into a "westernised"
                society) from the east and the south.

                *shrug* I can't defend this. It's just general observations more fun
                than anything. :-)

                What are your thoughts on this?

                Jieming
                DragonSeedLegacy
                ChineseCultureOnline

                --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, Ong Eng Wai <engwai84@y...>
                wrote:
                > Dear Jieming,
                >
                > > > -----------------------
                > > > Western
                > > > Preference for the North and West
                > > >
                > > > Chinese
                > > > Preference for the South and East
                > > > -----------------------
                >
                > Can you please elaborate on this?
                >
                > Eng Wai

                > How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday
                > snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos.yahoo.com
              • Ong Eng Wai
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Dear Kit Meng,

                  Now your reply has uncovered the hidden understanding
                  in my memory.

                  In Chinese geography, south is the upwards direction
                  and north the downwards direction, contrary to the
                  modern/western geography/map. The ultimate reason is
                  that, as generally agreed by academics, south is
                  warmer (closer to equator). North is thus the less
                  lucky direction. We have the word bai4 bei3 (defeat),
                  when we sleep, our head shouldn't point to north etc.
                  Same goes for East where the sun rises.

                  I don't think the south (I presume yuo mean zhe2 min3
                  yue4) provided much room for ancient (Han) China to
                  expand. Core (Han) China / China proper expanded
                  greatly via assimilation of Tibet (xi1 yu4), Ughuyr
                  (??) and Manchuria (dong1 bei3). There were a lot of
                  wealth, culture and beautiful girls in the south but
                  not much room for expansion.

                  I don't know anything about the direction concepts for
                  western culture.

                  The rest of your list are sometimes too simplyfying
                  and generalising but I can see where you get the
                  impressions from. It is fun reading them. Good work.

                  Regards

                  Eng Wai

                • juanjuan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                    hehe... been busy. :)

                    <kmleong@a...> wrote:
> [...]
                    > > >
                    > > > Chinese
                    > > > Fundamental belief in that man is born good but can be
                    corrupted as
                    > > > expounded in the Confucian view of human nature
                    > > > ----------------------
                    > > > Western
                    > > > Emphasis on breathing correctly using the rise and fall of the
                    chest

                    > > > Chinese
                    > > > Emphasis on breathing correctly using the diaphragm to improve
                    the
                    > > Chi
                    > > > ----------------------
                    > > > Western
                    > > > Encouraged to express and to show feelings
                    > > >
                    > > > Chinese
                    > > > Encouraged to internalise and not to show emotions
                    > > > ----------------------
                    > > > Western
                    > > > Presents are usually opened in front of the giver

                  • juanjuan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                      I did. thanks! good job!

                      Jane

                      --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "Ty" <tigerboycanada@y...>

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                        Hi Eng Wai,

                        Yeah, the list isn't meant to be a serious comparison but just
                        general impressions more for fun discussions. :-)

                        wrote:
> [...]
                        > > always (after the assimulation of northern tribes
                        > > into a "westernised"
                        > > society) from the east and the south.
                        > >
                        > > *shrug* I can't defend this. It's just general
                        > > observations more fun
                        > > than anything. :-)
                        > >
                        > > What are your thoughts on this?
                        > >
                        > > Jieming
                        > > DragonSeedLegacy
                        > > ChineseCultureOnline
                        > >

                        > > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, Ong Eng Wai
                        > > <engwai84@y...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > > Dear Jieming,

                        > > > Can you please elaborate on this?
                        > > >
                        > > > Eng Wai

                        > > > How much free photo storage do you get? Store your
                        > > holiday
                        > > > snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos
                        > > http://uk.photos.yahoo.com

                        > Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with
                        voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
                      • Rachel Tatner
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                          mmm, here's a few I can think of:

                          China: Very long history

                          US: Very short history

                          ******************

                          China: Food is used for health/healing. (warm/cold, dry/moist, etc)

                          US: Food is healthy but not healing. (Except for chicken soup. That's
                          for colds/flu and only recently accepted by doctors.)

                          ******************

                          Chinese: First go to CTM (Chinese Traditional Medicine) or an
                          "herbalist" in the US. Then go to a "western" doctor as last resort.

                          US: First go to "western" doctor and then go to herbalist as last resort.

                          ******************

                          Chinese: Eat from a common plate with each bite brought to a personal
                          bowl of rice before eating.

                          US: Food served from main platter with entire portion brought to each
                          plate and then eaten.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                            Hahahaha that's a good little list. Very much generalised of course ;-)

                            Thanks Rachel. List more if you can. It'll be interesting to see how
                            many we can get and what others thoughts are on them.

                            Maybe Ty can collect them into one big list?

                            Jieming
                            DragonSeedLegacy
                            ChineseCultureOnline