Song Liao Jin Xia Dali philosophy on economy and trade

  • Ty
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2005
      Song Liao Jin Xia Dali philosophy on economy and trade

      I was thinking, during the Song dynasty, elaborate trade system was
      maintained among the rival states of Song, Liao/Jin, Xia, Dali and no
      lesser degree of sophistication than today's international trade system
      was necessary to address the question of whether free trade or
      protectionism should be pursued. These states, though connected
      together in a common economic sphere of trade, are more often than not
      enemy states similar to today's PRC and Taiwan.

      Without developing economic theories laden with Western concepts, how
      did economic actors of the Song/Liao/Jin/Xia/Dali period manage this
      elaborate system, which was by far the most prosperous the world had
      seen, until it's level of opulence was surpassed by 17th century
      Europe?