Re: OT: Singapore to Thailand

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31 7:55 PM
      Are you referring to the regular train service or the expensive
      "Orient Express" type service? The longest stretch I've done on the
      Keretapi Tanah Melayu (Malayan Railway) is from Singapore to
      Butterworth (Penang). I've heard that it's quite scenic if you keep
      going on into southern Thailand but gets boring after awhile since
      tropical countryside is just either jungle or paddyfields. :-) How
      far into Thailand are you talking about? The train service actually
      goes all the way to Kunming in China but you change trains twice I
      think, in Bangkok and then again in Cambodia?

      Jieming
      DragonSeedLegacy
      ChineseCultureOnline

      --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, Roman Bates
      <stamfordbr1997@y...> wrote:
      > This is a little off topic so I apologize if it's not of interest to
      anyone. Has anyone taken the train from Singapore to Thailand? What is
      it like and is it worth it?

      > Roman.

      http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
    • Michael Rauck
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2005
        I am only aware of a train between Hanoi and Kunming, no trains between
        Myanmar or Laos and Kunming.
        Therefore you might take street transportation (bus, shared taxi etc.) from
        Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh City via Cambodia, and then take the train to Hanoi
        and change there to the train to Kunming.
        Alternatively, it should also be possible to travel from Northern Thailand
        on the Mekong (which forms the border between Laos and Myanmar), or through
        Laos or on the China Road in Myanmar between Tachilek and Ruili (?).

        Michael
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2005
          Hi Michael, thanks for the clarification. I was unsure of the rail
          links beyond the Thai border though I believe the various governments
          in the region have been talking about a high speed link from Singapore
          right through to Kunming for year now. I guess they haven't proceed
          much beyond just talking. :-)

          Jieming
          DragonSeedLegacy
          ChineseCultureOnline

          --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Rauck" <rauck@g...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005
            I just checked a 2003 edition atlas. Not sure how accurate this is
            but it shows railway lines from Kunming south all the way to Ho Chi
            Minh City where it terminates. Then going up north from Bangkok, the
            railway lines terminate in Vientiane in Laos. I can't seem to find
            any connecting lines between these relatively parallel lines separated
            by Cambodia and the greater part of west Vietnam.

            Jieming
            DragonSeedLegacy
            ChineseCultureOnline

            --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "kitmengleong" <kmleong@a...>