"Strategic Geography"

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 9, 2004
      The development of culture is greatly influenced by the geography of
      the place. The seafaring nature of the island bound English, the
      tight-knit Japanese community under a constant mainland invasion
      threat, the continental nature of the Indian dynasties who never
      developed naval power etc.

      To understand how the Chinese culture developed, it is important to
      understand the influence of the land that is China.

      The heartland of traditional China consists of the combined river
      deltas of 3 great rivers, the Huang He (Yellow River), the Chang Jiang
      (Yangtze River) and the Xi Jiang (Pearl River).

      I am completing a new file on "Strategic Geography" and should be able
      to upload it by this weekend. Would appreciate any comments on this.

      Jieming
    • Jane
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 9, 2004
        Jieming,

        Where is Xi Jiang? Pearl River is understood by me as "zhu jiang" that runs across Guangzhou. Is it the same Pearl River?

        Thanks!
        Jane

        kitmengleong <kmleong@...> wrote:
        The development of culture is greatly influenced by the geography of
        the place. The seafaring nature of the island bound English, the
        tight-knit Japanese community under a constant mainland invasion
        threat, the continental nature of the Indian dynasties who never
        developed naval power etc.

        To understand how the Chinese culture developed, it is important to
        understand the influence of the land that is China.

        The heartland of traditional China consists of the combined river
        deltas of 3 great rivers, the Huang He (Yellow River), the Chang Jiang
        (Yangtze River) and the Xi Jiang (Pearl River).

        I am completing a new file on "Strategic Geography" and should be able
        to upload it by this weekend. Would appreciate any comments on this.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 9, 2004
          Hehe, Oops. You're right. The Pearl river is a different river and
          is much smaller and further south. Sorry.

          Jieming

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 9, 2004
            No wait, I'm right. It is the Pearl River that's the 3rd great river
            in China. Hmm.. I'll have to check my maps again for the right name.

            Jieming

            --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "kitmengleong" <kmleong@a...>
            wrote:
            > Hehe, Oops. You're right. The Pearl river is a different river and
            > is much smaller and further south. Sorry.
            >
            > Jieming
            >
            > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, Jane <ming18ming2003@y...>
            wrote:
            > > Jieming,
            > >
            > > Where is Xi Jiang? Pearl River is understood by me as "zhu jiang"
            > that runs across Guangzhou. Is it the same Pearl River?
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > > Jane
            > >
            > > kitmengleong <kmleong@a...> wrote:
            > > The development of culture is greatly influenced by the geography of
            > > the place. The seafaring nature of the island bound English, the
            > > tight-knit Japanese community under a constant mainland invasion
            > > threat, the continental nature of the Indian dynasties who never
            > > developed naval power etc.
            > >
            > > To understand how the Chinese culture developed, it is important to
            > > understand the influence of the land that is China.
            > >
            > > The heartland of traditional China consists of the combined river
            > > deltas of 3 great rivers, the Huang He (Yellow River), the Chang Jiang
            > > (Yangtze River) and the Xi Jiang (Pearl River).
            > >
            > > I am completing a new file on "Strategic Geography" and should be able
            > > to upload it by this weekend. Would appreciate any comments on this.
            > >
            > > Jieming

            > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Service.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 9, 2004
              Ok, *deep breath*

              Jane is right. Pearl River is Zhujiang. But the Xi Jiang is the
              third major river in China. I mixed up the English with the Mandarin.
              No wonder I was kinda wondering why Xi would be translated into
              Pearl. Zhu is correct. I just left it as that and though it might
              have been another one of those wierd sounding translations of the
              early british of names in China. Sorry.

              Xijiang is just labelled as Sikiang in English maps.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 10, 2004
                Alrighty,

                Since we're on this topic, I'll upload the file on Strategic
                Geography for everyone to help check for errors. Please give me
                comments. I would also appreciate your help in getting the pinyin for
                some of the Wade-Giles names still on the file which I was hoping to
                look-up before uploading.

                Do feedback you comments? Thanks.

                wrote:
                > Ok, *deep breath*
                >
                > Jane is right. Pearl River is Zhujiang. But the Xi Jiang is the
                > third major river in China. I mixed up the English with the Mandarin.
                > No wonder I was kinda wondering why Xi would be translated into
                > Pearl. Zhu is correct. I just left it as that and though it might
                > have been another one of those wierd sounding translations of the
                > early british of names in China. Sorry.
                >
                > Xijiang is just labelled as Sikiang in English maps.
                >
                > Jieming
                >

                > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "kitmengleong" <kmleong@a...>
                > wrote:
                > > No wait, I'm right. It is the Pearl River that's the 3rd great river
                > > in China. Hmm.. I'll have to check my maps again for the right name.
                > >
                > > Jieming
                > >
                > > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "kitmengleong" <kmleong@a...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > Hehe, Oops. You're right. The Pearl river is a different river and
                > > > is much smaller and further south. Sorry.
                > > >
                > > > Jieming
                > > >
                > > > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, Jane <ming18ming2003@y...>

                > > > that runs across Guangzhou. Is it the same Pearl River?

                > Jiang

                > be able
                > this.

                > > Service.

              • haha
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 10, 2004
                  You have done a great job! Those are nice pictures.
                  If you don't mind, I have a suggestion, Could you color the
                  TaiWan to green or some other colors on the last map?

                  What ever TaiWan will rewrite the Chinese History as well as the
                  world history. It is one of the bigest challenges of Chinese.

                  Xiao Jia

                  http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 10, 2004
                    Hi Xiao Jia,

                    Sure, I think you're right and that there should be a distinction
                    drawn for the two separate governments. Instead of changing the
                    last map, I'll put in a new one for the Nationalist government on
                    Taiwan because the last map is for the People's Republic of China.

                    Thanks!

                    Jieming

                    --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, haha <heli_travel@y...>