woodworking tools?

  • omabi_us
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
      Good Morning everyone! Can anyone offer information about medieval
      Chinese woodworking tools . . . there must have been some pretty
      sophisticated tools or very deft craftsmen or both. Thanks in
      advance, Omabi
    • dawn_weiruhui
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2004
        Hi! Aren't they the same the world over?

        --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "omabi_us"
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2004
          There's a picture of sliding calipers for measurement in Robert
          Temple's books "Genius of China" but it's not quite woodworking tools.
          I suppose a hammer is a hammer, a chisel is a chisel but you won't
          find screwdrivers and stuff. I'll upload it into the Engineering
          section of Photos for you to see.

          I'll go raid my grandma's house for grandpa's tools. I know he had a
          good collection of tools. Only thing is I'm not sure if they are
          traditional chinese tools or modern woodworking tools.

          Jieming

          --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "dawn_weiruhui"
          <dawn_weiruhui@h...> wrote:
          > Hi! Aren't they the same the world over?
          >
          > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "omabi_us"
          > <goatmountain@c...> wrote:
          > > Good Morning everyone! Can anyone offer information about medieval
          > > Chinese woodworking tools . . . there must have been some pretty
          > > sophisticated tools or very deft craftsmen or both. Thanks in
          > > advance, Omabi
        • omabi_us
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
            My question exactly, Dawn! If you saw an illustration supposedly of
            a midieval scene in China, would it bother you to see a western-
            looking saw on the ground? And, thanks again, Kit Meng! Omabi

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2004
              Hi Omabi,

              I've just found a reference in "The Kingfisher History and
              Encyclopedia". 1999 Kingfisher Publications which is probably going
              to disappoint you. It states that the Chinese, Romans and other
              civilizations used virtually the same tools. I'll try and verify
              that some more.

              Cheers,

              Kit Meng