Re: What happened to Darren?

    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2004
      Ok now you're making me blush.

      When I was in university I studied Civil Engineering. :-) My class
      was just full of Asian students from HongKong, Taiwan, PRC and Japan.

      My university takes in a lot of students from the Pacific Rim so I
      think the western students were fairly used to seeing asians in their
      classes. I lived in residence on-campus and had many, many
      interesting experiences! I must say that I experienced very little
      discrimination which says something about the quality of the people in
      Vancouver, Canada. Vancouver has a large chinatown (2nd largest in
      North America after San Francisco) so food was never a problem for me
      whenever I had a craving for home cooked food.

      What is interesting were the western students from the interior parts
      of Canada and the US who had never (or few) contact with asians before
      this. My best friend in Canada was from Calgary and he once told me I
      am the first Chinese friend he has ever had. We played lots and lots
      of ball/ice hockey and skiing together. He ended up having one
      girlfriend from Taiwan and after that married a Japanese girl from
      Fukuoka in which I gave a short speech about him during his marriage
      ceremony in Japan.

      Jieming

      --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, Alessandro Ranieri
      <alexcranieri@y...> wrote:
      > Ah Jieming, you are very wise. You and Jane are experts when it come
      to China, the Chinese people, or anything Chinese.

      > What you say makes perfect sense to me. Ah, the mainland was closed
      to the world for long time before country opened up. Naturally, the
      people want to experience all the materialistic things that those in
      the West are accustomed to. Ah, your example of the buffett very
      interesting. It must be new concept in Communist country, to suddenly
      find so much food. Obviously, one would try to eat as much as they
      like. It's inevitable for a country to keep moving forward, while at
      the same time, dropping the old ways, even if there is nothing wrong
      with the old ways.

      > Ah Jieming, when you went to university, were you one of few Asians
      to study culture? I agree, most of business, law, medical schools are
      full of Asians. How did it feel to be alone among all the westerners?
      Do westerners expect all the Chinese to be in the medical, business,
      law and technology departments?

      > You and Jane are among the smartest people I know. I can learn so
      much from you guys. Not only do you know so much, you also know how to
      say everything which is easy to understand. Many people know a lot but
      have trouble communicating to others.

      > I think your group serve a good purpose. Not many group focus on
      Chinese history. And there is always something to talk about as
      history never ends.

> [...]
      > try and curb the excesses and "evils" of decadence. A crude example
      > of what I mean can be seen in the way we take to the concept of a
      > buffet (smogasboard). Chinese can be seen piling their dishes to the
      > point of wastage and denying others the chance for the same food. In
      > the west, the buffet is practiced with checks and balances to the open
      > "take all you can eat" concept. Social graces and attitudes, the
      > notions of right and wrong, the principles of not wasting, and the
      > social pressures of those around frowning at you would keep a person
      > in check. The Chinese have learnt the concept of the buffet but only
      > applied the "take all you can eat" part literally without the
      > accompanying social graces and attitudes.
      >
      > Another example is seen in the way male-female relationships have
      > developed in Singapore...
      >
      > I'll have to post later. I forgot I'm late for a meeting.
      >
      > Jieming
      >

      > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, Alessandro Ranieri
      > <alexcranieri@y...> wrote:
      > > Ah, Jieming, but why you think most members in group are Chinese? I
      > think a Chinese not have to join this group to learn about culture.
      > They can live it every day in their life. It's westerners who want to
      > learn and understand. So I think the quiet ones in this group are
      > westerners. Yet, they must have all kinds of questions about Chinese
      > culture, like me. I always have questions.
      > >
      > > As you well know, the life of a moderator is a lonely one. You must
      > like what you do or the group can end very quickly. It's like working
      > in a hotel. Since most people can spend only a few days in a hotel,
      > once you get to know them, they are ready to leave.
      > >
      > > Alex.
      > >

      > > kitmengleong <kmleong@a...> wrote:
      > > Hahaha, not really. I think it's pretty normal for a small group
      > > that's just starting. Hopefully when we can get a little bit more
      > > critical mass. Only trouble is that firstly there are not that many
      > > people interested in Chinese history, 2ndly most Chinese are shy on
      > > posting and expressing opinions. Chinese culture is very much about
      > > internalizing problems internally instead of expressing it in the very
      > > western outburst of individualism. :-) I know I'm generalizing but I
      > > think it holds true enough in most cases.
      > >
      > > Jieming
      > >

      > > --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, Alessandro Ranieri
      > > <alexcranieri@y...> wrote:
      > > > Ah Jieming, I been thinking same thing. Your group little strange.
      > > Some members post a lot in one week and then do not post again.
      > > > Maybe he on vacation and no access to Internet.
      > > >
      > > > kitmengleong <kmleong@a...> wrote:
      > > > I wonder what happened to Darren? He was a more profilic
      uploader of
      > > > pictures than I was for awhile.
      > > >
      > > > Darren, I've posted a few interesting pictures of Ancient Chinese
      > > > armor and stuff under the Chinese Warrior Timeline if you're
      > > > interested. Also updated some of the work you were doing in the
      Olden