re: coal

  • Alessandro Ranieri
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2004
      Ah Jane,
      I think your view that life of a Chinese is cheap in China apply to many other countries. Somehow, the life of the poor person is considered less valuable than a wealthy person. Or the life of an ordinary person is considered less valuable than someone famous. I think sad thing about China is it wants desperately to be like other countries in world. I say this many times, China need to find its own direction. It not have to be like U.S. or Europe.

      The miners story is interesting as one miner said that in Communist era, being a miner was one of the most respected profession in China. Ah, why did this change? I think any job where one risk losing your life is important profession. Like fireman, soldier, etc. But profession where one is only helping oneself become richer should not be considered respectable.

      I think China lost its way with introduction of capitalism. It forgot about 90 percent of the people in the country who work hard to make a living. China become just like the West.

      Alex.

      Do You Yahoo!?