Suggested Projects for research and development

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2004
      Hi, I have a few suggested projects which I am hoping to get some of
      you interested in helping out in. I intend to fill out the group with
      more information on Chinese Culture and technological achievements.

      Many people are familiar with the western view of European life in the
      middle ages or during the Roman Empire or even during the time of the
      greeks because of the wealth and depth of imagery available either
      though painting, pictures or even through Hollywood cinematography.
      No many people however, can visualize how life was in China during the
      Han Dynasty or during the Yuan under the Mongols, or maybe earlier
      during the Shang or Xia.

      This is what I propose as projects and I'm hoping someone will be
      willing to help take them on and build it to completion.

      From the Photos area of the group;

      Project 1
      Ordinary Life Timeline
      - A visualization of life in China from the Prehistoric Xia to the
      Modern PRC

      Gather and arrange a series of pictures, starting from the period of
      the Xia Dynasty right through to the modern day PRC. The pictures can
      be sketches done by someone you know (even yourself) or from
      images/photos found in books or elsewhere from the internet. The
      pictures should depict ordinary life, meaning street scenes, or
      pictures of marketplaces, people travelling, talking, playing,
      working... anything that is ordinary.

      Hopefully this series will be able to show the changes in life of an
      ordinary Chinese from the prehistoric stone age Xia to the modern
      nuclear power age PRC... the way they dress, the way the cities look,
      the things they do, the types of hats they wear etc.

      This project aims for the most basic images so that people can
      understand how the Chinese/society looked like at any particular
      period in time.

      Place the pictures into the photos folder labelled "Ordinary Life
      Timeline" and place a short description to each picture like for
      example, "Ming Dynasty - Typical street scene of children playing in
      the streets" or something like that.

      Please remember to acknowledge the works if you are using someone
      else's pictures. We need to respect the copyright of others.

      From the Photos area of the group;

      Project 2
      The Chinese Warrior Timeline
      - Suits of armour and the weapons they used from the Prehistoric Xia
      to the Pre-Modern Ching Dynasty

      Similar to Project 1 except that here you will collect pictures or
      drawings/sketches of weapons like swords, spears, crossbows etc... to
      armour, shields, helmets, army flags, chariots, war horses etc.

      Hopefully we can show the differences in styles from ancient to the
      pre-modern under the Qing Dynasty.

      Place the pictures into the photos folder labelled "The Chinese
      Warrior Timeline" and place a short description to each picture like
      for example, "Three Kingdoms Period - Typical soldier of the Wu State"
      or something like that.

      Please remember to acknowledge the works if you are using someone
      else's pictures. We need to respect the copyright of others.

      From the Photos area of the group;

      Project 3
      Chinese Writing Through the Ages
      - Styles and development during the different time periods

      This is probably the easiest project as this has already been done to
      some degree elsewhere. Books have been published on this subject.
      What we hope to do here is to present a few samples of the different
      writing (calligraphic) styles together with the time period to give
      people an idea of what the Chinese during those time periods were
      looking at and reading in their books or street signs etc.

      Hopefully these 3 projects will begin a complete series of projects
      that will help fill in the blanks in many people's knowledge of
      Chinese life and achievements. We aim to attain the same depth and
      breath of character that the Western world has managed to achieve with
      their books and films such that their life has become very familiar to
      us. Time we did the same.

      Do let me know if you are willing to help on the projects.

      Liang Jieming