Better future for China?

  • windlightr
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2004
      Hello, fellow DragonSeed people: I don't want to drive a divisive
      sword amongst us but sometimes, you got to blame the world
      situation, not the messenger.

      I would like to know your personal opinions regarding the impact of
      His Royal Highness George Bush II's second term in the Oval office
      on US-Chinese foreign relations, geopolitical relations, economic
      relations and the political culture of the Chinese state and society
      themselves.

      I'm aware of the unease felt by many Americans and non-Americans
      regarding these rapidly unfolding events but I also realize that we
      can't pretend that everything is the same.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2004
        For better or for worse, he's in for another 4 years. I suppose he
        would take this as a vindication of his policies and continue right
        one doing what he's already set out to do, and do it a little more
        confidently (some would say arrogantly) too.

        Jieming

        --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "windlightr"
        <windlightr@y...> wrote:

        > Hello, fellow DragonSeed people: I don't want to drive a divisive
        > sword amongst us but sometimes, you got to blame the world
        > situation, not the messenger.
        >
        > I would like to know your personal opinions regarding the impact of
        > His Royal Highness George Bush II's second term in the Oval office
        > on US-Chinese foreign relations, geopolitical relations, economic
        > relations and the political culture of the Chinese state and society
        > themselves.
        >
        > I'm aware of the unease felt by many Americans and non-Americans
        > regarding these rapidly unfolding events but I also realize that we
        > can't pretend that everything is the same.
      • Ty
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2004
          Ignorant mid-west Americans might think so. But the White House isn't
          made of stupid people. They know what they are on to: 700 billion US
          foreign debt, shrinking export market, unmanageable oil prices,
          unmanageable resistance in Muslim countries.

          All these tie into the rapid rise in oil/energy demand in the
          industrializing economies of China and India. China, as a Realist
          state, has already run into trouble securing oil control against
          Japanese competition.

          But, I think Chinese POLITICAL elites secretly support Bush because
          "executive stability" in the West is always preferred by authoritarian
          political cultures like Russia and China for the drastic reduction of
          human rights diplomacy and pressures for democratization. Another
          thing Bush shares with China is their revisionist nature outside the
          normal global capitalist/neoliberal orbit. Bush is not supported by
          Europe, Kerry is, and the diplomatic isolation of the US is hoped for
          by China. Bush is an insider in the North Korea affair, Kerry isn't
          and nobody knows what he's gonna bring to the table.

          In summary: China likes Bush's actual unilateral weakness and
          Realpolitik tendencies. It has perhaps figured out a way to undermine
          American leadership and success in the War on Terror. And Bush is more
          likely than Kerry to sacrificed Taiwan, being more singlemindedly
          concentrated on global military strategies. Any US or Japanese
          administration that declares war against China on the Taiwan issue is
          primary driven by pro-democracy ideological concern, not by strategic
          necessity.

          --- In DragonSeedLegacy@yahoogroups.com, "kitmengleong" <kmleong@a...>