Local resources for Help

  • Astarte
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
      In every area you can call 2-1-1 and they will assist you with help through local services that are registered through them in each area.

      If you are in our community you can ,also, email:ladyastarte584@... for assistance for clothes, food, housewares and baby items from Sisterhood Is Powerful, Inc.

      Listed below are some resources by county:

      Knox Co either 2-1-1 or SIP, Inc. the resource list is so long that is just the easiest and fastest access.

      UNITED WAY OF SEVIER COUNTY

      2009 Community Partners

      BOY SCOUTS, GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAIN COUNCIL (865) 368-7368 www.bsa-gsmc.org The Scouting movement is to serve others by helping to instill values in young people which prepare them to make ethical choices over their lifetime.

      BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB OF THE SMOKY MOUNTAINS (865) 428-6550 www.bgcsmoky.com Mission is to inspire and enable all young people, especially those from disadvantaged circumstances, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible, caring citizens.

      CHERISH THE CHILD FOUNDATION (865) 453-4644 Raises funds for the Smoky Mountain Children's Home for special needs projects.

      CHILD AND FAMILY TENNESSEE (865) 524-7483 www.child-family.org Non-profit agency operating 34 social service programs that provide a safety net of services to East Tennessee residents for shelter, treatment, prevention, and advocacy.

      DOUGLAS COOPERATIVE (865) 453-3254 www.douglascooperative.com DCI provides job development, pre-vocational training, day and residential habilitation, supported living, referral, advocacy, transportation, and evaluation services to adults and children with disabilities.

      EPILEPSY FOUNDATION (865) 522-4991 Helps people with epilepsy, and their families through financial assistance, adjustment counseling, support groups, employment assistance.

      FLORENCE CRITTENTON AGENCY (865) 602-2021 www.fcaknox.org The Florence Crittenton Agency strengthens communities through effective prevention and treatment services to children, families, and pregnant young women.

      GIRL SCOUTS OF TANASI COUNCIL (865) 688-9440 www.tanasi.org Helps prepare girls, ages 5-17 to become competent and resourceful women by inspiring them with the highest ideals of character, conduct, patriotism and service.

      GOODWILL INDUSTRIES (865) 453-4155 www.gwiktn.org Provides comprehensive employment, training, and rehabilitation services based on each individual's ability to meet certain eligibility requirements. Program goal is placement into competitive employment.

      HELEN ROSS MCNABB CENTER (865) 637-9711 www.mcnabbcenter.org Regional not for profit system of care providing a flexible array of services including substance abuse, mental health and human services to adults and children.

      KIDNEY FOUNDATION SERVING EAST TN (865) 688-5481 www.kidneyetn.org Provides ID jewelry, emergency, transportation and nutrition assistance to people battling kidney disease. Educates patients, the public and medical professionals.

      LEGAL AID OF EAST TENNESSEE (865) 637-0484 www.laet.org Ensures equal justice for elderly, abused, and low-income people, by providing a broad scope of legal assistance and advocacy.

      MOUNTAIN HOPE GOOD SHEPHERD CLINIC (865) 774-0066 www.mountainhope.org Provides Primary Care, Dental, and Behavioral Health for the uninsured and working poor. Uses a sliding scale pay system.

      PITTMAN CENTER FIRE DEPARTMENT (865) 436-9684 Provides emergency services for brush fires, structure fires, motor vehicle accidents and First Responder EMS, provides clothing and other needed items to victims of fire.

      SAFE HAVEN CENTER (865) 558-9040 www.safehavencenter.org 24 hour crisis intervention, forensic nursing facility, therapy, advocacy, and support for child and adult victims of sexual assault and sexual abuse; education and prevention programs.

      SAFE HARBOR CHILD ADVOCACY CENTER (865) 774-1777 www.safeharborcac.com Safe Harbor serves as a central hub for all of the investigative and post-trauma counseling processes for child-victims of sexual abuse, physical abuse and/or severe neglect.

      SAFESPACE (865) 453-9254 www.safespacetn.org Assists domestic violence victims in Sevier, Jefferson, Cocke Counties. Resources include 24-hour crisis line, emergency shelter, support groups, legal, social services, advocacy, batterers' intervention program.

      SAMARITAN PLACE (865) 684-1880 www.samaritanplace.com Provides temporary safe haven for the aging who are in need due to abuse, neglect by self or others, exploitation, abandonment, or endangerment.

      SENIOR CITIZEN HOME ASSISTANCE SERVICES (865) 453-6853 www.schas.org Assist frail/disabled persons with homemaker, personal care, minority applicant pool system, home hair care, live-in care, and generation to generation volunteer program.

      SEVIER COUNTY CHILDREN'S SHELTER (865) 453-0606 An emergency crisis shelter that provides needs and services for abused, abandoned, neglected, runaway, and unruly children in Sevier County ages 0-17.

      SEVIER COUNTY COUNCIL ON AGING (865) 453-8080 Promotes Health and welfare of Seniors. Provides access to affordable housing and transportation. Provides feedback and advice to Senior Center on policies, programs, planning issues.

      SEVIER COUNTY HELP FUND (865) 453-7131 Douglas-Cherokee Economic Authority operates the Sevier County Help Fund who provides assistance to low-income residents of Sevier County for food, medicine, and utilities.

      SEVIER COUNTY VOLUNTEER RESCUE SQUAD (865) 453-4809 Provides water rescue and recovery, lost person searches, confined space, trench, farm, and cave rescue, vehicle extrication, medical stand-by, basic life support ambulance, convalescence services.

      SEYMOUR VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT (865) 573-7475 Provides emergency response to fires, wrecks, hazardous materials incidents and certain life threatening medical emergencies as a certified first responder agency.

      Hamblen County:
      VFW in Morristown gives out food boxes from 9am till 2pm once a month. all you need to bring is a food stamp card or proof of income to get one.

      Calvery Baptist Church @ 706 Rosedale dr in Morristown gives out food every Wednesday from 1pm till 2pm

      Buffalo Trail Baptist Church @ 1829 Sherwood Dr in Morristown gives out food boxes every Monday from 10am till 1pm

      Central Services on Cumberland st in Morristown will let you get a food box once every 3 month, you can sign up anytime. They also help with electric once a year.

      Daily bread downtown serves lunch

      St. Patricks Catholic Church helps once a year with one item-Food,electric or rent

      For the ones needing help with babies there is a ministry on Morris blvd that does classes for formula clothing and accessories

      Cocke County:
      This is just a primitive list for Cocke Co. I will get more exact info and also get my sister-in-law.

      Douglas Cherokee DHS building = Food, electric or heat, some clothes

      Bread basket up by hospital=Food M-W-F -12

      St.James is actually in Green Co. Go straight out 321 keep going past 4 lane, go over Lovers bridge then look for St.James sign on RT. There will be a dump site on the LT side go down a few miles it will be on the RT =Clothes and right now they have a Christmas room, toys, clothes, decorations, wrapping paper etc. Most times they have laundry soap and toilet paper, sometimes diapers. Just ask very friendly.

      Think its the First baptist church, the one right downtown where all the banks are. You go to the side entrance on the rd going up the hill at the light. They help single mothers.

      Jefferson County:
      Appalachian Outreach is on Old AJ Hwy. They will help with clothes and household items for Jeff and Hamblen county. They also help with food for Jeff county only. Mon 1-4, Tues 10-12,1-4, Wed 10-12, Thurs 10-12, 1-4

      You will need proof of address and income, and household members

      App outreach also helps with home repairs for Jeff co.

      First baptist Church will help with Electric, gas and I think water. One time a year. You just call the main office and make and appt ( usually Tuesday? I think) Also, there is a food pantry for Dandridge Residents up past the health dept, I DK what its called, but you have to have ID and a Dandridge address.

      The food pantry in Dandridge is on the hill past the Health Dept. They also have a Thrift store.

      Maybe Dreamweaver can add these as a File.

      Light and Love,
      Astarte
    • Astarte
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2012
        Tennessee State Resources:

        Here is a website to find local resources throughout TN. http://www.tennhelp.com This site is the most extensive and is kept up byTN NASW (TN National Association of Social Workers).

        this is a new one for state help http://www.tn.gov/FindHelpTN

        Here is a site full of help for medications and also links to other med help links http://togetherrxaccess.com/ another for medication http://dispensaryofhope.org/find-meds

        Another site http://www.hud.gov/local/tn/homeless/healthcare.cfm

        --- In DragonPalmEvents@yahoogroups.com, "Astarte" <ladyastarte584@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Jefferson County:
        > Appalachian Outreach is on Old AJ Hwy. They will help with clothes and household items for Jeff and Hamblen county. They also help with food for Jeff county only. Mon 1-4, Tues 10-12,1-4, Wed 10-12, Thurs 10-12, 1-4
        >
        > You will need proof of address and income, and household members
        >
        > App outreach also helps with home repairs for Jeff co.
        >

        > First baptist Church will help with Electric, gas and I think water. One time a year. You just call the main office and make and appt ( usually Tuesday? I think) Also, there is a food pantry for Dandridge Residents up past the health dept, I DK what its called, but you have to have ID and a Dandridge address.
        >

        > The food pantry in Dandridge is on the hill past the Health Dept. They also have a Thrift store.
        >
        > Maybe Dreamweaver can add these as a File.

      • rev_dreamweaver
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2012
          > > Maybe Dreamweaver can add these as a File.
          > >
          > > Light and Love,
          > > Astarte

          I've added them to the files as a PDF doc so it can be read on any computer
          Blessed Be
          Dreamweaver