Re: OFFWORLD

  • Jerry L Seward
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      Zack--

      O.K.

      My understanding is that people from the American SF track wanted
      to do something special for the STARGATE fans. It's only on Saturday when
      there aren't any STARGATE panels scheduled. While I applaud what they're
      doing, I do agree with you about the scheduling of this - I don't
      understand why they couldn't just merge OFFWORLD with the American SF
      track and make it an actual part of DRAGON*CON.

      Jerry-boy

      --

      > Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:03:25 -0000
      > From: "Zack Adamson" <silverlock5@...>
      > Subject: RE: OFFWORLD
      >
      > Yeah, I will have my SG-13 outfit this year. I was looking at that
      > offworld notice. I might check it out. It all depends on what draws
      >
      > my attention. We can link up and talk about it at the convention.
      > am not sure why they are doing this at the same time as dragoncon,
      > but oh well.
      >
      > Zack
      >
      > --- In DragonCon@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Seward <Jerry457@j...>
      > wrote:
      > > Zack--
      > >
      > > You want to go check out the OFFWORLD 1 gathering at the
      > Westin
      > > Peachtree? I was originally thinking about heading over to
      > OFFWORLD
      > > Saturday morning when they start up (around 8:00 AM), but now I'm
      > > debating about going after the parade (which is at 10 that
      > morning).
      > > Don't know if you're going to bring your SG-13 uniform to
      > DRAGON*CON, but
      > > I wanted to check out OFFWORLD for a bit and then head back to
      > D*C.
      > > Please let me know. My friend Chris Freier, whom you and Gene met
      > in
      > > Saginaw, Michigan, will be attending - it's his first big
      > convention!
      > >
      > > Won't be much longer now....

    • jj self
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
        are they charging for the thing in the other hotel? if so, theres your answer.
        My understanding is that people from the American SF track wanted
        to do something special for the STARGATE fans. It's only on Saturday when
        there aren't any STARGATE panels scheduled. While I applaud what they're
        doing, I do agree with you about the scheduling of this - I don't
        understand why they couldn't just merge OFFWORLD with the American SF
        track and make it an actual part of DRAGON*CON.

        Jerry-boy

        --

        > Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:03:25 -0000
        > From: "Zack Adamson" <silverlock5@...>
        > Subject: RE: OFFWORLD
        >
        > Yeah, I will have my SG-13 outfit this year. I was looking at that
        > offworld notice. I might check it out. It all depends on what draws
        >
        > my attention. We can link up and talk about it at the convention.
        > am not sure why they are doing this at the same time as dragoncon,
        > but oh well.
        >
        > Zack
        >
        > --- In DragonCon@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Seward <Jerry457@j...>
        > wrote:
        > > Zack--
        > >
        > > You want to go check out the OFFWORLD 1 gathering at the
        > Westin
        > > Peachtree? I was originally thinking about heading over to
        > OFFWORLD
        > > Saturday morning when they start up (around 8:00 AM), but now I'm
        > > debating about going after the parade (which is at 10 that
        > morning).
        > > Don't know if you're going to bring your SG-13 uniform to
        > DRAGON*CON, but
        > > I wanted to check out OFFWORLD for a bit and then head back to
        > D*C.
        > > Please let me know. My friend Chris Freier, whom you and Gene met
        > in
        > > Saginaw, Michigan, will be attending - it's his first big
        > convention!
        > >
        > > Won't be much longer now....

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • kingnlowry
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
          It costs $6 for the whole day. Sounds interesting but Saturdays are
          often the best day of the con and I'm not sure I want to over at the
          Westin. There is lots of stargate in the AM-SF track as it is.

          Anyway, you can check out their web site at:

          http://www.stargateguide.com/offworld.htm

          --- In DragonCon@yahoogroups.com, "jj self" <jjsdc03@m...> wrote:
          > are they charging for the thing in the other hotel? if so, theres
          your answer.
        • rabidchyld
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
            I was just looking up that info. I am also wondering why they don't
            forget the Offworld thing and dedicate a track just to Stargate at
            Dragon Con itself. There's definitely enough interest, and enough
            volunteers to run it. It doesn't really make sense to compete with
            Dragon Con, especially on Saturday...and even more especially since
            they are spending so much money on it.

            I hope it works out for them.

            melodie

            --- In DragonCon@yahoogroups.com, "kingnlowry" <KingNLowry@a...>
            wrote:
            > It costs $6 for the whole day. Sounds interesting but Saturdays
            are
            > often the best day of the con and I'm not sure I want to over at
            the
            > Westin. There is lots of stargate in the AM-SF track as it is.
            >
            > Anyway, you can check out their web site at:
            >
            > http://www.stargateguide.com/offworld.htm
            >

            > --- In DragonCon@yahoogroups.com, "jj self" <jjsdc03@m...> wrote:
            > > are they charging for the thing in the other hotel? if so,
            theres
            > your answer.
          • pk105us
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
              The actors from the show will be at Dragoncon and not down at the
              Westin... correct?
              patty
              -- In DragonCon@yahoogroups.com, "rabidchyld" <rabidchyld@y...> wrote:
              > I was just looking up that info. I am also wondering why they
              don't
              > forget the Offworld thing and dedicate a track just to Stargate at
              > Dragon Con itself. There's definitely enough interest, and enough
              > volunteers to run it. It doesn't really make sense to compete with
              > Dragon Con, especially on Saturday...and even more especially
              since
              > they are spending so much money on it.
              >
              > I hope it works out for them.
              >
              > melodie
              >

              > --- In DragonCon@yahoogroups.com, "kingnlowry" <KingNLowry@a...>
              > wrote:
              > > It costs $6 for the whole day. Sounds interesting but Saturdays
              > are
              > > often the best day of the con and I'm not sure I want to over at
              > the
              > > Westin. There is lots of stargate in the AM-SF track as it is.
              > >
              > > Anyway, you can check out their web site at:
              > >
              > > http://www.stargateguide.com/offworld.htm
              > >

              > > --- In DragonCon@yahoogroups.com, "jj self" <jjsdc03@m...> wrote:
              > > > are they charging for the thing in the other hotel? if so,
              > theres
              > > your answer.
            • kingnlowry
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
                I got a rather long email from someone on the am-sf discussion group
                about offworld (which they got from someone involved in it). It
                seemed to indicate that they were attempting to "coax" (their word
                not mine) the actors to come over for a visit, but not to count on it
                happening. They bill it as fans getting together and sharing, etc.
                The email also suggests the event would run approximately 7:30 am to
                2am.

                Since I have to work the parade until noon, doubt I will be going
                over there. I am thinking heavily about gatecon in Vancouver
                though. They are having Corin Nemec, Don S Davis, Teryl Rothery,
                Peter Williams, JR Bourne, Colin Cunningham, Douglas Arthurs, Jay
                Acovone, Frida Betrani and Alex Zahara. No RDA but what can you do.

                Anyway check out http://www.gatecon.com if you are interested.

                27 days and counting ...