Don't Forget Those Left Behind!

  • Jennifer (aka Amulet/Quark's Latinum Lad
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2001
      I know the con's started, but for those who get this message who are at or
      went to the con, don't forget those of us left behind! We want con
      reports, pictures, stories, and all that good stuff! We're living
      vicariously through you! :)

      I am planning NOW to go next year. I found out a bit late this year about
      DragonCon. Does anyone know if Andy Hallett will be there next year? I
      would sure love that! For that matter, does anyone know of any east coast
      cons Andy will be at before then? Thanks!

      Jennifer (a.k.a. Amulet/Lorne's Ladylove)
      jenjw@...
      ICQ: 1602032
      AOL IM: SnydersWoman
      Yahoo! IM: QuarksLatinumLady
    • John Hill
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2001
        I know how you feel, Jennifer.

        I was hoping to go this year, but some family problems cropped up and I had to delay my plans.

        For those of you who live in the Western North Carolina and Upstate South Carolina areas, if you would like to make plans to attend next year's DC as a group, feel free to contact me at snowheel@... .

        John T. Hill
        President, Republic of Mars
        http://www.marsgov.net
        Yahoo IM: jasonbondshow
        MSN messenger: john_t_hill

      • Flunky Bananabrain
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2001
          Nope don't know about any cons he'll be attending but I do know that
          stuff for next year's dragoncon won't be up for about a month
          (everybody need a break) buy that ticket early and get the
          discount!!!! Sorry I don't have anypictures........just got back
          today and yeah I did leave before the final bell was rung this year

          Ok so here's a con story for you The Court of Bedlam was again a
          rousing success.....We were located at the bottom of the escalator in
          the Hyatt and if you signed our table cloth thank you for being part
          of the party The King of Bedlam held count until about 5 am I
          believe it was. I was just blown away by the lovely belly dancer
          that dance for us with our celtic fiddler....she did it very very
          well and I must admit that her pen retrival technique was par
          excellant!!
          And one of the coolest things I saw was the City of Atlanta lady cop
          who was station downstairs where we were......she ws having a great
          time she went and bought a disposable camera and was getting her
          picture taken with different folks in costume.....there was just
          something really priceless about the lady cop posing with trinity and
          a leather chic!!! And she posed with the squard of Roman leagonaires
          (who were wearing great armor)
          Other interesting costumes I saw included; a red devil (body paint)
          with very elaborate designs done in black on his arms back and chest:
          the girl wearing police caution tape (you just got to see a picture
          of this): the mystery men and the x-men, and entire company of storm
          troppers and a 3 year old ewok with a stick wacking the storm
          troppers, a charming 8 year old ??? princess posing with a chain
          mailed crusader a couple of really good Lara Crofts and Chianis
          (from farscape), klingons in togos ( i don't know why they just were),
          twig woman (also requires a picture)ah yes, we came, we saw, we
          conned, I'm pooped, more later, it's nappy time for me!!!!!
          The Empooress of Excess

          --- In DragonCon@y..., "Jennifer (aka Amulet/Quark's Latinum Lady)"
          <jenjw@m...> wrote:
          > I know the con's started, but for those who get this message who
          are at or
          > went to the con, don't forget those of us left behind! We want con
          > reports, pictures, stories, and all that good stuff! We're living
          > vicariously through you! :)
          >
          > I am planning NOW to go next year. I found out a bit late this
          year about
          > DragonCon. Does anyone know if Andy Hallett will be there next
          year? I
          > would sure love that! For that matter, does anyone know of any
          east coast
          > cons Andy will be at before then? Thanks!
          >

          > Jennifer (a.k.a. Amulet/Lorne's Ladylove)
          > jenjw@m...
          > ICQ: 1602032
          > AOL IM: SnydersWoman
          > Yahoo! IM: QuarksLatinumLady
        • W T Martin
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2001
            For those left behind...

            I had high expectations of posting daily reports from my home computer since I�m within commuting distance of the Con. But returning home at midnight or one each morning after a full day (ten to twelve hours at the Con plus travel time) I was in no shape to handle it. I�l try to make up for it.

            Friday I caught several panels along the Buffy track and the Atlanta Radio Theatre Company performance of Heinlein�s �Solution Unsatisfactory.� Also stood in several lines for autographs particularly for Laurell K Hamilton as they were giving away galleys for her new Anita Blake Novel. Saturday was devoted to more fannish fawning and following Laurell from signing to panel to signing. Alas, I have no galley for my efforts so I�ll just have to wait �til October like everybody else. I hadn�t gotten interested in her other series featuring Mary Gentry until the reading of the first two chapters Saturday afternoon. And of course Del Rey was giving away the first book in that series so now I have both the will and the way. Sunday found me in more and varied tracks. There were of course the obligatory Laurell events but I also found time for several panels on the Writers track. Monday was more of the Writers track with a brief visit to the British Comedy room�s salute to Rowan Atkinson and an Shuttle astronaut�s aborted panel.

            The costumes were amazing. Today I saw two giant versions of Optimus Prime. I saw Chef all the way from South Park, dozens of Storm Troopers, Sand People, Darth Maul, Darth Vader, Emperor Palatine, Imperial guards, various Imperial troops, multiple Doctor Whos and one of the enemy robots (daleks?,) more members of the Federation than I thought possible and all of them officers (too many chiefs and not enough indians,) the guy with big blonde hair from Dragon Ball Z times two, at least two Lara Crofts, Indiana Jones, two Batmans, one Street Judge, more fairies than I wanted to see, too many vampires to count, toga wearing Klingons, a group dressed only in boxer shorts and neckties(?), at least five or six couples where one was wearing a leash, harem girls, a whole bunch of Babylon Fivers, Wonder Woman, He-Man, Morpheus, Trinity, an Agent Smith (from Matrix,) and many others I just can�t remember right now.

            A good time was had by all... well almost all. I ran into one lady that showed up on the Buffy track late in day three of the show looking for Andy Hallet long after most of his panels had been and gone. Next time actually come to more than half the show and you might get to see a few things! And there was the usual griping by young guys in the breakfast line at Chic-Fil-A about how awful their stay in a luxury hotel had been. Please take into account that you and twenty thousand of your friends laid seige to this inn for four or five days straight so the staff and usual accomodations are going to be strained!

            Oh well, I�m looking forward to the next one! See you next Labor Day weekend!

            Todd aka ShortRound.

            Flunky Bananabrain <empooress@...> wrote: Nope don't know about any cons he'll be attending but I do know that

            wrote:
            > I know the con's started, but for those who get this message who
            are at or
            > went to the con, don't forget those of us left behind! We want con
            > reports, pictures, stories, and all that good stuff! We're living
            > vicariously through you! :)
            >
            > I am planning NOW to go next year. I found out a bit late this
            year about
            > DragonCon. Does anyone know if Andy Hallett will be there next
            year? I
            > would sure love that! For that matter, does anyone know of any
            east coast
            > cons Andy will be at before then? Thanks!
            >

            > Jennifer (a.k.a. Amulet/Lorne's Ladylove)
            > jenjw@m...
            > ICQ: 1602032
            > AOL IM: SnydersWoman
            > Yahoo! IM: QuarksLatinumLady

          • Rex
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2001
              Not nearly as much to report as Todd did. I will be writing up my
              adventures to Dragon Con and posting that as well as the pix to my
              website. I will let you all know when that endeavor is completed.

              I had the very first fan website last year, so I got to get to work in a
              hurry ;)

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2001
                Oh goody, pictures! My digital Camera crapped out after three shots I'm looking forward to seeing everyone elses. Please let us know where to find that site Rex!
                Rex <vyper@...> wrote: Not nearly as much to report as Todd did. I will be writing up my

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2001
                  Will do! Have some great pix and then some not so great pix. My new
                  Mavica is extremely sensitive to motion, so some of the pictures have an
                  out of focus look.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2001
                    OK gang -- here is the link to my site: http://dragoncon.kocky.net

                    I have included most of the photos I took while at DC, so you will notice
                    that some look pretty funky due to the motion sensitive issue I mentioned
                    earlier and some have a slightly out of focus look.

                    At this time, I have not written anything to go with the photo's -- so I
                    hope you enjoy what I have done up to this point.

                    Lemme know what you guys think :)

                    Rex

                  • white trash grrl
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 5, 2001
                      The name of the band that you did not catch is Spiral Rhythm. the
                      sound system was crappy because we had to use speaking microphones
                      instead of music microphones. If you would like a CD, contact me. I
                      will be happy to get you one. They are only $13. Believe me, this
                      band is wonderful, and the CD is hypnotic.

                      ~wendy~
                      The Loudest Groupie.