Re: Chattacon

  • Flunky Bananabrain
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2006
      --- In DragonCon@yahoogroups.com, "JerriLynn Mooney" <rangerlyn@...>
      wrote:

      > Hubby and I are considering it - and it's actually the weekend of
      Jan 26-28
      > :) (http://www.chattacon.org)
      >
      > JL

      Thanks for the correct dates and the link. I went a couple of years
      ago and it was at the Read House who decided that they would not allow
      room parties, yuck! This comeing year it'll be at the Choo Choo...
      which ought to be a pretty cool place for a con.
      emp
    • JerriLynn Mooney
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2006
        wrote:

        > Hubby and I are considering it - and it's actually the weekend of
        Jan 26-28
        > :) (http://www.chattacon.org)
        >
        > JL

        Thanks for the correct dates and the link. I went a couple of years
        ago and it was at the Read House who decided that they would not allow
        room parties, yuck! This comeing year it'll be at the Choo Choo...
        which ought to be a pretty cool place for a con.
        emp

        It looks like they had it at the Choo-Choo last year, and that it worked out great for them, and the room parties don't seem to be a problem.  This would be our first year if we go (pending hubby's work schedule).  We have other friends who have attended in the past, but I don't know yet if they are going again next year or not.

        So other than the room party problem, how was it the year you went?

        Oh, and I'm going to plug another con that's in June!  HyperiCon 3, June 15-17, 2007!  Details can be found here (although planning is still in the works):  http://www.hypericon.info/

        Ta!

        JL

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Be Mischievous - it feels good!
      • Larry Davis
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2006
          The Choo Choo is a very spread out place. Reports were that things were much more widely separated there last year then they were in the past.

           They ought to have at least one get together at the massive Tivoli Theatre, a 1925 movie palace a half block from the Read, actually..  huge lobby, great venue for film and a 1925 Wurlitzer Theatre Organ for silent film.

          AND in Birmingham on October 28, Saturday evening, 7 P.M. at the Alabama Theatre at 1817 Third Avenue, Birmingham, the theatre is screening the original 1925 Phantom of the Opera, with Tom Helms at the keyboard of the Wurlitzer Theatre Organ. A chance to see the film as audiences would have seen it in 1925.

          For you music enthusiasts, Tom uses the Boellman Suite Gothique for his cues, along with the opera music appropriate for the various operas that appear in the film and a hint or two of the Bach Toccata here and there -- though as a musician I never understood how Baroque music ever ended up as a theme for a film that is more appropriately represented by French romantic organ literature that was in vogue at at the time the Phantom actually existed. The Boellman Suite is perfect.

          Anyway, get in touch with me if you're in the area and interested. I'm not sure how far the tentacles of this list reach :).

          Larry D
          Atlanta, GA

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 2, 2006
            wrote:
            > It looks like they had it at the Choo-Choo last year, and that it
            worked out
            > great for them, and the room parties don't seem to be a problem.
            This would
            > be our first year if we go (pending hubby's work schedule). We have
            other
            > friends who have attended in the past, but I don't know yet if they
            are
            > going again next year or not.
            >
            > So other than the room party problem, how was it the year you went?
            >
            > Oh, and I'm going to plug another con that's in June! HyperiCon 3,
            June
            > 15-17, 2007! Details can be found here (although planning is still
            in the
            > works): http://www.hypericon.info/
            >
            > Ta!
            >
            > JL

            Actually I had a good time other than being sick part of the time.
            I'm from Chatanooga and that was my first con. And if you've not been
            to the Choo Choo it's a very cool place as it's the old train
            terminal. Interesting architecture. Serveral resturants on site. The
            tourist shuttle stops there so easy to get to other places. Yeah I
            think I might just go.
            Emp
          • Regina
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 2, 2006
              (Coming out of lurk mode.)

              Hey folks,
              Yes, Chattacon will be held at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo on the
              weekend of January 26th-28th. Our Guests include:

              Guest of Honor - Kevin J. Anderson
              Guest of Honor - Robert J. Sawyer
              Artist Guest of Honor - MCA Hogarth
              Special Guest - Wen Spencer
              Toastmistress - Wendy Webb

              The hotel rate is $81 per night. Be sure to mention Chattacon to get
              the discounted rate.

              We know things are a little spread out and we are working on moving
              somethings around,as well as more shuttles, to help.

              If you have any other questions or suggestions, please feel free to
              drop me an email and I will do my best to answer.

              Thanks,
              Regina Kirby
              Chattacon Publicity

              --- In DragonCon@yahoogroups.com, "Flunky Bananabrain"
              <empooress@...> wrote:

              > --- In DragonCon@yahoogroups.com, "JerriLynn Mooney" <rangerlyn@>
              > wrote:
              > > It looks like they had it at the Choo-Choo last year, and that it
              > worked out
              > > great for them, and the room parties don't seem to be a problem.
              > This would
              > > be our first year if we go (pending hubby's work schedule). We
              have
              > other
              > > friends who have attended in the past, but I don't know yet if
              they
              > are
              > > going again next year or not.
              > >
              > > So other than the room party problem, how was it the year you
              went?

              > > Oh, and I'm going to plug another con that's in June! HyperiCon
              3,
              > June
              > > 15-17, 2007! Details can be found here (although planning is
              still
              > in the
              > > works): http://www.hypericon.info/
              > >
              > > Ta!
              > >
              > > JL
              > >
              > Actually I had a good time other than being sick part of the time.
              > I'm from Chatanooga and that was my first con. And if you've not
              been
              > to the Choo Choo it's a very cool place as it's the old train
              > terminal. Interesting architecture. Serveral resturants on site.
              The
              > tourist shuttle stops there so easy to get to other places. Yeah I
              > think I might just go.
              > Emp

            • Flunky Bananabrain
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 22, 2007
                Is coming up this weekend and will be at the
                Chattanooga Choo Choo, hotel rooms for the con are
                $81 a night. The Empooress will be there, and I'll
                be doing a couple of origami panels with Susan
                Shockley, she's the director of the Silk Roads track
                at DC.

                http://www.chattacon.org
              • bannergirl13

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 23, 2007
                    Well, hope to run into you, though I doubt I'll be at the origami panels (no artistic talent whatsoever :P)

                    I'll be hitting the drum circle panel on Friday and the belly dance workshop on Saturday for sure - everything else is negotiable *g*

                    JL

                    (P.S. - someone just posted on the Chattacon LJ that the rooms are all gone for the con...)

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 25, 2007
                      wrote:

                      > Well, hope to run into you, though I doubt I'll be at the origami
                      panels (no
                      > artistic talent whatsoever :P)
                      >
                      > I'll be hitting the drum circle panel on Friday and the belly dance
                      workshop
                      > on Saturday for sure - everything else is negotiable *g*
                      >
                      > JL
                      >
                      > (P.S. - someone just posted on the Chattacon LJ that the rooms are
                      all gone
                      > for the con...)
                      >
                      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Yeah I could have told you that as I waited too late , the only rooms
                      they have are Victoria train cars at 160 a night, too stteep for just
                      myself, I'm think perhaps the Marriott or maybe there'll be a
                      cancelation.

                      And btw artistic talent is not required come to one of the panels
                      anyway!!
                      Empooress
                    • JerriLynn Mooney
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 28, 2007
                        On 1/25/07, Flunky Bananabrain <empooress@...> wrote:

                        Yeah I could have told you that as I waited too late , the only rooms
                        they have are Victoria train cars at 160 a night, too stteep for just
                        myself, I'm think perhaps the Marriott or maybe there'll be a
                        cancelation.

                        And btw artistic talent is not required come to one of the panels
                        anyway!!
                        Empooress

                        Hope you were able to find a room at a decent rate - if I had known and been able to get in touch with you, I could have turned over our Saturday night reservation to you - we left and came home yesterday (suffice to say, not impressed with the con/staff, or the hotel, for that matter).

                        Hope the con and panel went well for you!

                        JL

                      • Flunky Bananabrain
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 29, 2007

                          > Hope you were able to find a room at a decent rate
                          - if I had known and been
                          > able to get in touch with you, I could have turned
                          over our Saturday night
                          > reservation to you - we left and came home
                          yesterday (suffice to say, not
                          > impressed with the con/staff, or the hotel, for
                          that matter).

                          > Hope the con and panel went well for you!
                          >
                          > JL

                          I did stay at the Holiday Inn on Friday and I too
                          came back late Saturday night, the hotel staff sucked.
                          And that's all I'm gonna say about that.
                          Emp