Purpose of this group

  • dragoncon2000@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 15, 2000
      The purpose of this group is to provide a forum for members of
      DragonCon to discuss openly issues surrounding the con. This forum is
      run by a fan of the con, not the DragonCon staff. Although there are
      other forums, egroups.com is quickly becoming THE place for public
      discussions.
      There are two other DragonCon egroups that I am aware of.
      DragonConAtlanta and DragonConStaff. Both of these are only able to
      be posted to by Ed. Hopefully this group will fulfill a need for the
      members voices to be heard.
    • Atlwolf
      Message 2 of 18 , May 8, 2008
        The purpose of his group is to serve as an "independent" discussion
        for all things DragonCon. It was created shortly after DragonCon 2000,
        when a very public scandal broke about the founder of DragonCon. The
        con was scrambling to do damage control and keep information from
        getting out.
        It important that the communication channels be decentralized both
        for redundancy and distribution of power. If DragonCon controls the
        communication channels then people fear retribution or banashment for
        critical discusion.
        Originally the only communication channel was a newsgroup. Now we
        have Yahoo groups and Live Journal which, while somewhat limited, are
        fairly easy for anyone to configure and use. They also have the added
        advantage of showing up high in the search engine rankings.
      • bannergirl13
        Message 3 of 18 , May 8, 2008
          And it's now 8 years later... and you mentioned Ed... but does anyone
          care anymore? Has anyone but a handful of people know about this? Do
          you know that:

          "Ed Kramer is now in his 8th year of incarceration without trial (more
          than 14 years by Georgia's algorithm for "time served").
          Georgia's longest pre-trial detainee, Ed was charged on August 25, 2000
          with crimes he did not commit; he has always maintained his innocence.
          Despite continued requests for a trial, Gwinnett County set and
          retracted a court date on 10 separate occasions."

          This is from the Yahoo Group "Defense Fund"... I've been a member of it
          for several years... and no, I don't know Ed personally, but whether
          he's gulity or not doesn't matter to me now, because he's already been
          punished way more than enough, IMHO.

          Now, I don't know that this group was formed for this reason or not...
          but I've been going to D*C since 1998 and personally, I think all the
          info that people need gets spread out into the world just fine by this
          group and the LJ communities... I don't see a need to change it...

          Jerri

          <The purpose of his group is to serve as an "independent" discussion
          for all things DragonCon. It was created shortly after DragonCon 2000,
          when a very public scandal broke about the founder of DragonCon. The
          con was scrambling to do damage control and keep information from
          getting out.>

        • Pher Reinman
          Message 4 of 18 , May 8, 2008
            I still care, not about Ed as a person, but about what's been done to him.
            It honestly doesn't matter to me if he's guilty or not at this point.

            On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 9:49 PM, bannergirl13 <jerri_13@...> wrote:

            > And it's now 8 years later... and you mentioned Ed... but does anyone
            > care anymore? Has anyone but a handful of people know about this? Do
            > you know that:
            >
            > "Ed Kramer is now in his 8th year of incarceration without trial (more
            > than 14 years by Georgia's algorithm for "time served").
            > Georgia's longest pre-trial detainee, Ed was charged on August 25, 2000
            > with crimes he did not commit; he has always maintained his innocence.
            > Despite continued requests for a trial, Gwinnett County set and
            > retracted a court date on 10 separate occasions."
            >
            > This is from the Yahoo Group "Defense Fund"... I've been a member of it
            > for several years... and no, I don't know Ed personally, but whether
            > he's gulity or not doesn't matter to me now, because he's already been
            > punished way more than enough, IMHO.
            >
            > Now, I don't know that this group was formed for this reason or not...
            > but I've been going to D*C since 1998 and personally, I think all the
            > info that people need gets spread out into the world just fine by this
            > group and the LJ communities... I don't see a need to change it...
            >
            > Jerri
            >

            > <The purpose of his group is to serve as an "independent" discussion
            > for all things DragonCon. It was created shortly after DragonCon 2000,
            > when a very public scandal broke about the founder of DragonCon. The
            > con was scrambling to do damage control and keep information from
            > getting out.>

            Pher Reinman
            "I ain't looking for help from on high.
            That's a long wait for a train don't come."
            Malcolm Reynolds - Serenity

          • Clarence "Sparr" Risher
            Message 5 of 18 , May 8, 2008
              Well, I disagree. So many attendees never find the yahoo group or LJ
              communities, and you are ignoring the dozens of track-specific sites
              that add to the confusion. Information gets cross-posted in multiple
              places, which is annoying, or it only gets posted in one obscure
              place, which is equally annoying. Why can't D*C come into the 90s and
              get their act together regarding online community?

              On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 9:49 PM, bannergirl13 <jerri_13@...> wrote:
              > personally, I think all the
              > info that people need gets spread out into the world just fine by this
              > group and the LJ communities... I don't see a need to change it...
            • Jennifer Jones
              Message 6 of 18 , May 9, 2008
                Also, a mailing list is NOT the ideal place to go for information. It's hard to search for back information and it's hard to find the answer to your question without just asking it again. Don't get me wrong...I do like this group for all the odd converstations that go on here, but if I had a question of any importance, I'd probably go to LJ...not because of the people here AT ALL, but because of the format. LJs closer to a bulletin board system and it's easier to keep track of.

                Also, I'm pretty sure that D*C didn't create the D*C LJ they've got linked on their main page, but they still did link it. Am I wrong, or didn't they used to have Yahoo linked there too?

                Who says a D*C Message Board style site has to be created BY D*C. In fact, if it wasn't, it wouldn't be subject to the policing and probable suppression of criticism. All it would take is someone with some know-how...and I'm not even sure if that's required. I used a free website for WoW guilds to make my FnF guild a website with a message board. Aren't there some free sites (or cheap sites) out there? It's not like you have to build and code it from the ground up. Anyone have any experience with those? Know of free/cheap ones?

                jenn :)

                Jennifer Lindsay Jones

                Wildflowerz@...

                "We'll do the same thing we always do, Chief: Fight 'em until we can't."

                To: DragonCon@yahoogroups.com
                From: sparr0@...
                Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 21:58:17 -0400
                Subject: Re: [DragonCon] Re: Purpose of this group

                Well, I disagree. So many attendees never find the yahoo group or LJ

                communities, and you are ignoring the dozens of track-specific sites

                that add to the confusion. Information gets cross-posted in multiple

                places, which is annoying, or it only gets posted in one obscure

                place, which is equally annoying. Why can't D*C come into the 90s and

                get their act together regarding online community?

                On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 9:49 PM, bannergirl13 <jerri_13@...> wrote:

                > personally, I think all the

                > info that people need gets spread out into the world just fine by this

                > group and the LJ communities... I don't see a need to change it...

              • Sam
                Message 7 of 18 , May 9, 2008
                  I am on this list as well as the Stargate Track, American Sci-Fi
                  Television, BEM's and SciFi Soulmates. I think there is also one for
                  Drumcircle that I would like to join but have not found. I do not
                  like the idea of changing to a web based system because then I would
                  not have my specific interests delivered to my mailbox. I would have
                  to go looking. I am on such lists for Firefly, BSG, Stargate Worlds,
                  Robert Downey Jr. (shut up!), and find them much more difficult to
                  keep track of.

                  Now I get my emails every day from all of my best friends and I don't
                  have to hunt you down to see what you have to say.

                  Sam Hussein Jorgensen

                  If at the bottom of everything there were only a wild ferment, a
                  power that - twisting in dark passions - produced everything great or
                  inconsequential; if an unfathomable, insatiable emptiness lay hid
                  beneath everything, what would life be but despair?
                  - Søren Kierkegaard

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 9, 2008
                    I'm not sure anyone's saying we should eliminate all the extra stuff...just that it would be nice to have one central source for all things D*C. And that source could also link to all the extra things, like the Yahoo Groups, LJs, MySpace groups, Facebook groups, and individual track and party websites.

                    Btw, I <3 RDJ. After seeing Ironman, he's TOTALLY replaced Josh Holloway on my Top 5 list. ;-)

                    To: DragonCon@yahoogroups.com
                    From: chatoyant@...
                    Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 06:37:35 -0400

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 9, 2008
                      On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Sam <chatoyant@...> wrote:

                      > I think there is also one for
                      > Drumcircle that I would like to join but have not found.

                      Here ya go!

                      :)

                      JL

                    • ^Chuck^
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 9, 2008
                        Iron Man is quite good. Never a fan of Robert Downey Jr either but heck he
                        was made for the role of Tony Stark in my opinion.

                        My humble opinion is that the DragonCon website should at least provide
                        links to all the various different sites out there or at least the different
                        tracks. They used to provide more than just the livejournal if I am not
                        mistaken. But that is my opinion. I don't know where all the different
                        tracks are on yahoo, etc. as far as groups. Have wondered where some are
                        that holds my interests. Would be great to know where some of the other
                        specific areas are out on the net. I guess I need to go a hunting using ye
                        olde google to find them or look through yahoo groups.

                        I would volunteer for things if my health was better than it is but I never
                        know one day to the next how it is going to be.

                        Redbeard

                        From: chatoyant@...
                        Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 06:37:35 -0400

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 9, 2008
                          I LOVED RDJ in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. That was a good movie. :)

                          Yeah, I think there's a post out there on one of the LJs that lists all the links. I think it's gotten buried in all the posts, though. You can't make a "sticky" thread on LJ. I only join the ones I'm interested in. So, I am on this Yahoo Group and the AMSF group, but if there's a Robotics or Podcasting one? I'm just not interested, so I'm not on those. :) I do try and join all the groups and lists that have anything I'd be remotely interested in, though. :)

                          To: DragonCon@yahoogroups.com

                          From: chatoyant@...

                          Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 06:37:35 -0400

                          wrote:

                          > personally, I think all the

                          > info that people need gets spread out into the world just fine by

                          > this

                          > group and the LJ communities... I don't see a need to change it...

                          ------------------------------------

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          http://www.windowslive.com/mobile/overview

                          html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_mobile_052008

                        • Sam
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 9, 2008
                            Awesome, blossom. Now I can keep track of everything I do! Thanks, JL!

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 9, 2008
                              I've been one of his biggest fans since the 80's. I agree with those
                              who say he is the greatest actor of his generation. When they cast
                              him in Iron Man I just knew he would be perfect, but really, this
                              movie was even better than I had hoped.

                              I've been following his work since Saturday Night Live. He has really
                              never made a bad movie, though there were several silly romantic
                              comedies. I recommend The Pickup Artist, Two Girls and a Guy and for
                              his creepy side, In Dreams. And Chaplin, of course. Oh, oh, and
                              Richard III with Ian McKellen and Wonder Boys.

                              And wasn't Val Kilmer great in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, too? Gay Perry.
                              <snort>

                              To: DragonCon@yahoogroups.com

                              From: chatoyant@...

                              Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 06:37:35 -0400

                              wrote:

                              > personally, I think all the

                              > info that people need gets spread out into the world just fine by

                              > this

                              > group and the LJ communities... I don't see a need to change it...

                              ------------------------------------

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              http://www.windowslive.com/mobile/overview

                              html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_mobile_052008

                            • alabaster
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 12, 2008
                                On Fri, 9 May 2008, Sam wrote:

                                > Now I get my emails every day from all of my best friends and I don't
                                > have to hunt you down to see what you have to say.

                                I agree that I prefer a group that communicates in e-mail format. I've
                                said it before, e-mail is one of the few things that is not blocked at
                                work. I use LJ and read both DC related journals, but I find the e-mail
                                format to be more personal and interactive. Maybe I'm old school, or just
                                old, but LJ, MySpace and forums seem to be one-way and it is difficult to
                                keep track of a conversation thread. For instance in LJ if I want to go
                                back and check new responses to a post I have to remember when it was
                                and/or bookmark. Here it just comes in my inbox and gets sorted into the
                                DragonCon folder. Then again I still use text based e-mail.

                                --alabaster/Janene
                                Ogres? Man, I've got an ogre-slaying knife, it's got a +9 against ogres!

                                You're not there! You're getting drunk!

                                Okay, but if there are any girls there I want to do them! --Summoner Geeks
                              • Jennifer Jones
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 12, 2008
                                  Hehe, that's actually the reason I like the message board format. Anything newly posted to is moved to the top of the list. You can subscribe to threads and clicking on a link on the board will bring you to a list of those threads. And you don't have to sift through where someone has left EVERYone else's email at the bottom with a million of those silly ">"s adding to each line. The "Search" function lets you find anything you need and message topics are right there in a list for you to see. But I'll stop beating a dead horse. I think I'm the only one that prefers them!

                                  On Fri, 9 May 2008, Sam wrote:

                                  > Now I get my emails every day from all of my best friends and I don't

                                  > have to hunt you down to see what you have to say.

                                  I agree that I prefer a group that communicates in e-mail format. I've

                                  said it before, e-mail is one of the few things that is not blocked at

                                  work. I use LJ and read both DC related journals, but I find the e-mail

                                  format to be more personal and interactive. Maybe I'm old school, or just

                                  old, but LJ, MySpace and forums seem to be one-way and it is difficult to

                                  keep track of a conversation thread. For instance in LJ if I want to go

                                  back and check new responses to a post I have to remember when it was

                                  and/or bookmark. Here it just comes in my inbox and gets sorted into the

                                  DragonCon folder. Then again I still use text based e-mail.

                                  --alabaster/Janene

                                • Dylan Northrup
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 12, 2008
                                    A long time ago, (12.05.08), in a galaxy far, far away, Jennifer Jones wrote:

                                    :=Hehe, that's actually the reason I like the message board format. Anything newly posted to is moved to the top of the list. You can subscribe to threads and clicking on a link on the board will bring you to a list of those threads.

                                    I generally look at the list of e-mails and, depending on their title, read
                                    or delete them as appropriate. Using a smart e-mail client or a service
                                    like gmail lets you collect all e-mails with a specific subject into a
                                    compact format similar to forums.

                                    :=And you don't have to sift through where someone has left EVERYone else's email at the bottom with a million of those silly ">"s adding to each line.

                                    Trimming e-mails when you reply lets you claim the high ground when you tell
                                    people "Dude, you sent out a 200 line quote with a 3 line reply. Please
                                    don't do that again." Having a moderator do this tends to help as well
                                    (and, yeah, I've been the poor sod who had to do this plenty of times so I
                                    know what a thankless, but necessary, job it is).

                                    :=The "Search" function lets you find anything you need and message topics are right there in a list for you to see. But I'll stop beating a dead horse.

                                    Again, most modern clients or mail providers allow for a Search function of
                                    your mail box. This only allows you to search what you haven't deleted, but
                                    with a service like Yahoo Groups, you can always go to the webpage of the
                                    group to do the search.

                                    :=I think I'm the only one that prefers them!

                                    I'm much more of an e-mail fan than a web forums fan, but that's because
                                    I've been doing e-mail for almost two decades and I'm very comfortable with
                                    using it over the new-fangles forums that have come up in recent years.
                                    Besides, I like the consolidation I can get with e-mail versus having to
                                    check multiple different websites, track all those passwords/usernames, etc.
                                    E-mail, to me, is simpler and, therefore, better for my hectic life. YMMV.

                                    --
                                    Dylan Northrup - docx@... - http://www.io.com/~docx/
                                    "Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to be glad to be alive, but it's
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 12, 2008
                                      I would love to se a message board/forum for Dragon*Con, because I do prefer that format.

                                      It could be a huge undertaking though, because Dragon*Con is so huge.

                                      Chaos Mandy

                                      Jennifer Jones <Wildflowerz@...> wrote:
                                      Hehe, that's actually the reason I like the message board format. Anything newly posted to is moved to the top of the list. You can subscribe to threads and clicking on a link on the board will bring you to a list of those threads. And you don't have to sift through where someone has left EVERYone else's email at the bottom with a million of those silly ">"s adding to each line. The "Search" function lets you find anything you need and message topics are right there in a list for you to see. But I'll stop beating a dead horse. I think I'm the only one that prefers them!

                                      Jennifer Lindsay Jones

                                      Wildflowerz@...

                                      "We'll do the same thing we always do, Chief: Fight 'em until we can't."

                                    • Flunky Bananabrain
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 12, 2008
                                        --- In DragonCon@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Jones <Wildflowerz@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > Also, a mailing list is NOT the ideal place to go for information.
                                        It's hard to search for back information and it's hard to find the
                                        answer to your question without just asking it again. Don't get me
                                        wrong...I do like this group for all the odd converstations that go
                                        on here, but if I had a question of any importance, I'd probably go
                                        to LJ...not because of the people here AT ALL, but because of the
                                        format. LJs closer to a bulletin board system and it's easier to
                                        keep track of.

                                        > Also, I'm pretty sure that D*C didn't create the D*C LJ they've got
                                        linked on their main page, but they still did link it. Am I wrong,
                                        or didn't they used to have Yahoo linked there too?

                                        > Who says a D*C Message Board style site has to be created BY D*C.
                                        In fact, if it wasn't, it wouldn't be subject to the policing and
                                        probable suppression of criticism. All it would take is someone with
                                        some know-how...and I'm not even sure if that's required. I used a
                                        free website for WoW guilds to make my FnF guild a website with a
                                        message board. Aren't there some free sites (or cheap sites) out
                                        there? It's not like you have to build and code it from the ground
                                        up. Anyone have any experience with those? Know of free/cheap ones?

                                        > jenn :)
                                        >
                                        > Jennifer Lindsay Jones
                                        >
                                        > Wildflowerz@...

                                        Yes there was a linkto this group on the main DC page I'll have to
                                        find out why we're no longer there.
                                        Emp