Monas Theorem XII and Commentary

  • Terri Burns
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      Monas Theorem XII
      http://www.esotericarchives.com/dee/monad.htm#theorem12

      (graphics-- better to read at the above site or better yet get
      Josten's translation!)

      The very ancient wise men and Magi have transmitted to us five
      hieroglyphical signs of the planets, all of which are composed out of
      the signs used for the Moon and the Sun, together with the sign of
      the Elements and the hieroglyphical sign of Aries, the Ram, which
      will become apparent to those who examine these figures:

      Each one of these signs will not be difficult to explain according to
      the hieroglyphical manner in view of our fundamental principles,
      already posited. To begin with, we will speak in paraphrases of those
      which possess the characteristics of the Moon: following that, of
      those which possess a solar character. When our lunar nature, by the
      science of the Elements, had accomplished the first revolution round
      our Earth, then it was called, mystically, Saturn.

      Afterwards, at the following revolution, it was named Jupiter, and
      holds a very secret figure. Then the Moon, developed by yet a third
      journey, was represented very obscurely again by this figure which it
      was their custom to call Mercury . You see how this is Lunar. That it
      must be conducted through a fourth revolution will not be contrary to
      our most secret design, whatever certain sages may say. In this
      manner the pure magical spirit, by its spiritual virtue, will perform
      the work of the albification at the place of the Moon; to us alone
      and as it were in the middle of a natural day he will speak
      hieroglyphically without words, introducing and imprinting these four
      geogonic figures in the pure Earth very simply prepared by us: this
      last figure being in the middle of all the others.

      Monas Theorem XII Commentary
      from Hamilton-Jones 60-61

      "In the table given in this place [see above web-site] our author has
      used different portions of his Monadic figure as signs for the
      planets. These are quite easy to follow. How is interesting to
      compare the table contained in "The Clavis," by Jacob Boehme, for
      Jacob also uses this selfsame Monad.

      "We must now refer to the process, if we would understand what is
      meant by the Lunar Nature.

      "The first day is given up to Heaven and Earth, and the division of
      the light from the darkness. At the end of this revolution the Earth
      was mystically called Saturn, whose colour is black according to our
      understanding. Jupiter follows and places a Rainbow in the sky. This
      is succeeded by Mercury, whose sign at this stage is a Crescent Moon
      supported upon a Cross. The colour belonging to this period must be
      darkish, because the Luminaries did not appear until the fourth
      revolution; and note, that the Moon was made before the Sun.
      Obviously, therefore, the silvery colour here referred to by Dee as
      the albification is the Moon.

      "Now look at the diagram shown at the end of this Theorem XII. We
      find the fifth or last figure is, in effect, a combination of the
      preceding four. It is for this reason that he tells us that the last
      figure is in the middle of all the others."
    • Terri Burns
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
        --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "Terri Burns"
        <burnst@u...> wrote:

        > Monas Theorem XII Commentary
        > from Hamilton-Jones 60-61
        >
        >How is interesting to
        > compare the table contained in "The Clavis," by Jacob Boehme, for
        > Jacob also uses this selfsame Monad.

        I've uploaded a .pdf of the table from the Clavis to the files
        section, as Boehme clavis.pdf.

        More on the Clavis, or Key, of Boehme:

        http://www.phanes.com/keyjac.html

        The `Key' of Jacob Boehme
        Translated by William Law
        With an Introduction by Adam McLean

        "The Clavis or `Key' of Jacob Boehme, the seventeenth-century German
        theosopher, is a condensed version of the principal points of his
        mystical philosophy.

        "Boehme, an unschooled shoemaker, experienced while young an intense
        vision of the spiritual world — a vision of the origin of the
        universe, the struggle of polarities in creation, and the role of
        Sophia or Divine Wisdom in the world. This vision inspired his
        writings and left him with a deep sense of the spiritual all his
        life. In trying to find a language to communicate his mystical
        perceptions, he turned to alchemical ideas and Hermetic imagery.

        "The main period of his writings, 1612–1624, coincided with the
        Rosicrucian publications, and while no definite historical link can
        be established, Boehme certainly worked within the spirit of the
        Rosicrucian movement.

        "The Clavis or `Key' to his writings is taken from William Law's
        translation of his complete works, and includes Law's "Illustration
        of the Deep Principles of Jacob Behmen," which features thirteen
        emblematic figures designed by Dionysius Freher. This beautiful,
        unfolding sequence of thirteen engravings provides a symbolic picture
        of Boehme's teachings about Creation, while the `Key' as a whole
        reveals Boehme's profound spiritual philosophy."