1601 (was "The Orpheus Book" )

  • Terri Burns
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2004
      Last night Betsy and I were talking about the year 1601 and "Death."
      Since its her story, I won't try to even paraphrase it here. But it
      seems that my very feet-on-the-ground friend had some sort of
      interesting recurring experience with this year and "Death", so last
      night she asked me if I had any idea why that year was significant.

      Betsy, you said you wouldn't mind posting your story here. Would you?

      I mentioned to her some things that happened that year, and Alaerian
      and I talked more about it after we got off the phone. 1601 seems to
      be one of those key years where, while many futures were possible
      before, something happens and many of the probability waves collapse,
      and suddenly only one of them becomes possible.

      (Alaerian also pointed out, this is 400 years before 2001, if any of
      you see a similar collapse of probability waves surrounding theevents
      of 9 / 11. For any magickal datekeepers and scholars of the
      precessional cycle.)

      Looking at the possibilities concerning specifically Dee and his
      magickal projects, and which ones seem to collapse in 1601 and which
      do not, might be a fruitful line of inquiry. It certainly leads us
      right to the most famous dramatic work of the time, Hamlet.

      [(Remember too that "Hamlet" takes his name from "Amleth," the mythic
      character adapted by from the Icelandic and Norwegian myth of Amlodhi
      or, in a later version of the name, Amleth, which became Hamlet in
      Shakespeare. Amleth turns the cosmic mill, or clock, of the ages. . .
      hence the title "Hamlet's Mill" for Santillana and von Deschend's
      book on "myth and the frame of time." See excerpt at
      http://phoenixandturtle.net/excerptmill/santillana.htm for parts of
      the preface to this book; for a "Cliff's Notes" version of how that
      connects to celestial cycles and ancient mythological science, see
      http://www.technosophy.com/milltime.htm ) This is one of many
      subjects Vincent and I plan to address in our book on Shakespeare and
      Dee: why on earth, pun intended, is "Hamlet" named after "Amleth,"
      when the play on the surface seems to have so little to do with the
      myth of precessional astrology from which it takes its name? ]

      To return to 1601 . . . for various reasons I've tacked this
      discussion on to the earlier thread about John Dowland and the
      Orpheus Book. A few things about 1601 from that thread (and its
      resonance is the early 1900s Dowland dispute between Grattan Flood
      and Peter Warlock) . . .

      > > --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "Terri
      Burns"
      > > <burnst@u...> wrote:

      > Dr. John Dowland (1563-1626) is often referred to as the "English
      > Orpheus," a title which on the surface seems odd since Orpheus is
      > associated with harps and lyres rather than lutes. In this novel,
      > Dowland is associated with John Dee, and indirectly, with the same
      > circle as Shakespeare. Here we might note that that certain scenes
      in
      > Shakespeare's plays (from the few from which we have surviving
      scores,
      > such as the Tempest) use certain instruments, like lutes, when
      others,
      > like the harp, would seem more appropriate.

      <snip>

      > If Dowland was an Irish musician in the English court, it seems to
      > have been so obvious no one felt the need to comment on it. But if
      > that were the case, he would be in some sort of blackmailed position
      > in the first place, as he appears in this novel. Ditto if he were a
      > staunch Catholic, or even a non-Catholic whose mentor was a Catholic
      > priest (like Father Campion, whose portrayal here is fairly
      > historically accurate).

      About Dowland in 1601, according to Grattan Flood:

      > Flood writes: "In 1601, Dowland came to England for a holiday, and
      > was able to purchase musical instruments. It is very likely that he
      > furnished his friend Shakespeare with many of those touches of local
      > colour regarding Denmark to be found in Hamlet. Certain it is that
      > Hamlet was occupying Shakespeare's attention, and was produced the
      > following year."

      Proponents of various Shakespeare conspiracy theories attach various
      narratives to the Earl of Essex, Robert Devereaux, and at least one
      book and many articles have been written suggesting that a
      possible "model" for the character Hamlet was Devereaux. Whatever
      the connection one makes, this much is certain-- Dowland and Essex
      were friends (one of Dowland's more famous galliards is dedicated to
      Essex), and Essex and Dee were neighbors. Essex married Walsingham's
      daughter, and Walsingham/Cecil ran a spy network that seemed to
      compete with one started by Essex. In effect, for a short time in
      the late 1500s and early 1600-1601, all the major players in the
      different spy networks have living arrangements almost on top of one
      another.

      If Dowland was Irish and working with Dee, and Essex friends with
      both, we might also want to note that the precipitating cause of the
      events which led to Essex's imprisonment and execution -- in 1601 --
      were Essex's actions in Ireland, and horror at what was going on in
      Ireland, which led to acts of "high treason" and then to the Essex
      Rebellion in January 1601, and his execution a month later.

      Enough on 1601 for now,

      LVX,

      Terri
    • johnwkca
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2004
        Terri wrote:

        > (Alaerian also pointed out, this is 400
        > years before 2001, if any of you see a
        > similar collapse of probability waves
        > surrounding theevents of 9 / 11. For
        > any magickal datekeepers and scholars of
        > the precessional cycle.)

        > Looking at the possibilities concerning
        > specifically Dee and his magickal
        > projects, and which ones seem to collapse
        > in 1601 and which do not, might be a
        > fruitful line of inquiry.

        This might be of interest as it discusses some of the same themes. It
        comes from Adam McClean's alchemy forum:

        Subject: ACADEMY : The Romance of the Rose-Cross
        Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999
        From: Susanna Ã…kerman

        "Michael Martin wrote:
        >Two things that puzzle me as far as pre-1610 dates go are:
        >
        >1) The "'Ur' "Chemical Wedding" attributed to Andrae from
        >about 1601-02. Did this document refer to CRC, or was he
        >added later?"

        "I have no information on the Ur Chemical wedding and have
        not seen it. But if CRC is not mentioned in it it would be
        interesting
        and sensational. Do you have any reference to it? In
        Montgomery perhaps?"

        >2) The date of "1604" which appears..."
        >Certainly, this would have been the year of the finding
        > of CRC's vault. It also coincided with two separate
        > super novas. But, why this year, especially if CRC
        > is a fictional character? Wouldn't 1610 (or 1614, etc)
        > have served better?

        "I believe 1604 is focused on as it it coincides with
        the passsage of the great conjunctions to the "trigono
        igneo that shall give us the last light" (Fama), based
        on Abu Mashar's ninth century astrological theory of
        the regular passage of the conjunctions of Jupiter and
        Saturn from one zodiacal sign to another. The passage
        from the watery to the fiery trigon takes place in 1583
        and then in Dec-Jan 1603/4 and was the seventh of such
        passages (to Aries in 1583 to Sagittarius in 1603 and
        significantly to Leo in 1623) since creation according
        to Johannes Kepler's Mysterium Cosmographicum, recently
        published when the Fama appeared. The scheme had been
        used by Cyprian Leowitz in 1563 in Prague prohecying on
        Bohemia but without Kepler's elegant theory.

        P.S. Geheime figuren contains a Lion, 1604 and an old
        man in a cave, typical RC elements. Am I thinking of
        the right picture?

        Susanna Akerman"

        > This is one of many subjects Vincent and I
        > plan to address in our book on Shakespeare and
        > Dee: why on earth, pun intended, is "Hamlet"
        > named after "Amleth," when the play on the
        > surface seems to have so little to do with the
        > myth of precessional astrology from which it
        > takes its name? ]

        To answer this, one would have to look into the lives and motives of
        Thomas Kyd and Francois Belleforest from where Shakespeare likely got
        most of his ideas for his famous play.

        > To return to 1601 . . .

        Just a few interesting things to note:

        Tycho Brahe died in 1601