An Enochian Cast of Characters

  • AaronL
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2011
      Greetings, folks!

      I'm putting together some introductory Enochian material, and I have decided to include an Enochian "who's who." It will include a VERY brief bio (a paragraph or two) for each major player in the Dee/Kelley saga - just something students can reference while they read other historical material about Dee.

      I want to share my list of names so far with you folks, and see if you can think of any impotant names I have missed:

      -Queen Elizabeth I
      -Emperor Rudolph II
      -John Dee
      -Edward Kelley
      -Edmund Bonner
      -Francis Walsingham
      -William Cecil
      -Edward Dyer
      -Sir Walter Raleigh
      -Albert Laski
      -Gerardus Mercator
      -Méric Casaubon
      -Elias Ashmole

      for brevity, I have not included Dee and Kelleys wives or children, nor Queen Mary. And I'm not looking to include every little name that pops up in Dee's journals. But I do want to hit the major cast of characters and any key supporting players. I look forward to your feedback on this list.

      LVX
      Aaron
    • numberservant
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2011
        Aaron,

        What about including the cast of major angels they consulted with? Madimi, Ave, Michael, etc.… That is a confusing issue for me.

        numberservant

        --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "AaronL" <kheph777@...> wrote:

        > Greetings, folks!
        >
        > I'm putting together some introductory Enochian material, and I have decided to include an Enochian "who's who." It will include a VERY brief bio (a paragraph or two) for each major player in the Dee/Kelley saga - just something students can reference while they read other historical material about Dee.
        >
        > I want to share my list of names so far with you folks, and see if you can think of any impotant names I have missed:
        >
        > -Queen Elizabeth I
        > -Emperor Rudolph II
        > -John Dee
        > -Edward Kelley
        > -Edmund Bonner
        > -Francis Walsingham
        > -William Cecil
        > -Edward Dyer
        > -Sir Walter Raleigh
        > -Albert Laski
        > -Gerardus Mercator
        > -Méric Casaubon
        > -Elias Ashmole
        >
        > for brevity, I have not included Dee and Kelleys wives or children, nor Queen Mary. And I'm not looking to include every little name that pops up in Dee's journals. But I do want to hit the major cast of characters and any key supporting players. I look forward to your feedback on this list.
        >
        > LVX
        > Aaron

      • AaronL
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 5, 2011
          Not a bad idea... Thanks. :)

          --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "numberservant" <numberservant@...> wrote:

          > Aaron,
          >
          > What about including the cast of major angels they consulted with? Madimi, Ave, Michael, etc.… That is a confusing issue for me.
          >
          > numberservant
          >
          > --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "AaronL" <kheph777@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Greetings, folks!
          > >
          > > I'm putting together some introductory Enochian material, and I have decided to include an Enochian "who's who." It will include a VERY brief bio (a paragraph or two) for each major player in the Dee/Kelley saga - just something students can reference while they read other historical material about Dee.
          > >
          > > I want to share my list of names so far with you folks, and see if you can think of any impotant names I have missed:
          > >
          > > -Queen Elizabeth I
          > > -Emperor Rudolph II
          > > -John Dee
          > > -Edward Kelley
          > > -Edmund Bonner
          > > -Francis Walsingham
          > > -William Cecil
          > > -Edward Dyer
          > > -Sir Walter Raleigh
          > > -Albert Laski
          > > -Gerardus Mercator
          > > -Méric Casaubon
          > > -Elias Ashmole
          > >
          > > for brevity, I have not included Dee and Kelleys wives or children, nor Queen Mary. And I'm not looking to include every little name that pops up in Dee's journals. But I do want to hit the major cast of characters and any key supporting players. I look forward to your feedback on this list.
          > >
          > > LVX
          > > Aaron

        • tmbtmbtmbtmbtmbtmb
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2011
            Hello, and Happy New Year! Sorry for the late response-- I haven't been on-line as much as usual through the holidays.

            I'd definitely include Rabbi Loew.

            I know you don't want to get into the names of all of the Dee children-- but since you've before advocated looking more into the tantric aspects of Dee and Kelley's workings, I think you'd better add Jane and Joanna!

            In terms of the Dee family, I'd also add Arthur: he reputedly witnessed Kelley's transmutation, and wrote a long alchemical treatise himself, as well as being physician to the first Romanov czar.

            I'd also add Thomas Kelly, though not much is known about him. He's in England early on (as early as the Danish treasure episode,) and is one of the few people directly addressed by the angels about whom we know little. (The other is Francis Garland, who Ashmole also refers to.)

            Finally, I'd add William of Rosenberg. Its his patronage that saves Dee's butt, in a certain sense, and Dee and Kelley ask angelic advice about Rosenberg's wedding. Czech sources also say that it was likely Kelley's getting silver out of Rosenberg's mines in Jilove that likely brought about Kelley's knighthood.

            I don't supposed you're looking to go much further forward in time than Ashmole and Casaubon? If you did, you'd want to add in Fred Hockley. Then of course there's the exciting saga of the Thomas Rudd and Captain Rudd and whoever they really are, but that's probably not introductory material.

            My two cents, anyway.

            LVX,

            Terri

            --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "AaronL" <kheph777@...> wrote:

            > Greetings, folks!
            >
            > I'm putting together some introductory Enochian material, and I have decided to include an Enochian "who's who." It will include a VERY brief bio (a paragraph or two) for each major player in the Dee/Kelley saga - just something students can reference while they read other historical material about Dee.
            >
            > I want to share my list of names so far with you folks, and see if you can think of any impotant names I have missed:
            >
            > -Queen Elizabeth I
            > -Emperor Rudolph II
            > -John Dee
            > -Edward Kelley
            > -Edmund Bonner
            > -Francis Walsingham
            > -William Cecil
            > -Edward Dyer
            > -Sir Walter Raleigh
            > -Albert Laski
            > -Gerardus Mercator
            > -Méric Casaubon
            > -Elias Ashmole
            >
            > for brevity, I have not included Dee and Kelleys wives or children, nor Queen Mary. And I'm not looking to include every little name that pops up in Dee's journals. But I do want to hit the major cast of characters and any key supporting players. I look forward to your feedback on this list.
            >
            > LVX
            > Aaron

          • Jan Hurych
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 7, 2011
              Terri,

              I haven¨t heard about Kelley's silver mine, but he owned the part of town Jilove,  which was famous for its medieval gold finds. He might have discoverd there one abandoned mine and that would also explain how he  could  not only generate so much gold (true gold, as per witnesses)   but also be able to throw it around him as gifts, as it wa also reported by witnesses. The nobility - we are told - was apparently awarded to him by Emperor when he "manufactured rather large nugget that was then exhibited in the Castle in  the glass container".

              More likely however, he lend money to Rudolph - and so did another receiver of the nobilitation, Jacobus Horczizky (as quoted in Czech WHO iS WHO).

              Happy New year to all, Jan
> [...]

              > -Queen Elizabeth I
              > -Emperor Rudolph II
              > -John Dee
              > -Edward Kelley
              > -Edmund Bonner
              > -Francis Walsingham
              > -William Cecil
              > -Edward Dyer
              > -Sir Walter Raleigh
              > -Albert Laski
              > -Gerardus Mercator
              > -Méric Casaubon
              > -Elias Ashmole
              >
              > for brevity, I have not included Dee and Kelleys wives or children, nor Queen Mary. And I'm not looking to include every little name that pops up in Dee's journals. But I do want to hit the major cast of characters and any key supporting players. I look forward to your feedback on this list.

            • AaronL
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 7, 2011
                --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "tmbtmbtmbtmbtmbtmb" <burnst@...> wrote:

                > Hello, and Happy New Year! Sorry for the late response-- I haven't been on-line as much as usual through the holidays.

                I was wondering when you'd chime in on this one. :)

                > I'd definitely include Rabbi Loew.

                Ok this one got me - why include him?

                > In terms of the Dee family, I'd also add Arthur: he reputedly witnessed Kelley's transmutation, and wrote a long alchemical treatise himself, as well as being physician to the first Romanov czar.

                Yeah this occured to me as well. I'll think on it... he did at least serve as Dee's skyer for a very brief time.

                > I'd also add Thomas Kelly, though not much is known about him. He's in England early on (as early as the Danish treasure episode,) and is one of the few people directly addressed by the angels about whom we know little. (The other is Francis Garland, who Ashmole also refers to.)

                Both good suggestions. :)

                > Finally, I'd add William of Rosenberg. Its his patronage that saves Dee's butt, in a certain sense, and Dee and Kelley ask angelic advice about Rosenberg's wedding. Czech sources also say that it was likely Kelley's getting silver out of Rosenberg's mines in Jilove that likely brought about Kelley's knighthood.

                Got it. :)

                > I don't supposed you're looking to go much further forward in time than Ashmole and Casaubon? If you did, you'd want to add in Fred Hockley. Then of course there's the exciting saga of the Thomas Rudd and Captain Rudd and whoever they really are, but that's probably not introductory material.

                Eh, I don't see much need to include Rudd. I will cover some of the Neo-enochian material in this intro (contrasting it with the Dee-purist stuff), so I might go as far forward in time as the penning of Book H (which some suggest may have been written by Westcott...?)

                Thanks for the suggestions! Keep em coming. lol

                LVX
                Aaron
              • tmbtmbtmbtmbtmbtmb
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 24, 2011
                  Sorry for the delay Aaron... I didn't realize you'd asked a direct question which I'd never answered until I was looking over the archives this morning.

                  --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "AaronL" <kheph777@...> wrote:

                  > --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "tmbtmbtmbtmbtmbtmb" <burnst@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello, and Happy New Year! Sorry for the late response-- I haven't been on-line as much as usual through the holidays.
                  > >

                  > I was wondering when you'd chime in on this one. :)
                  >
                  > > I'd definitely include Rabbi Loew.
                  >
                  > Ok this one got me - why include him?

                  Well, on second or third thought, it probably isn't introductory material given the way Enochian material is usually presented... though imho it should be. The whole problem is that the context Dee and Kelley's work is usually looked at is very skewed. I wrote about that in the last Journal here:

                  http://www.jwmt.org/v2n19/golden.html

                  The part particularly connected to Rabbi Loew has more to do with Kelley than Dee and is in the latter part of the article, here:

                  http://www.jwmt.org/v2n19/golden.html#400

                  Note that Rabbi Loew's golem making, and writing "AMET" on the Golem's head, takes place the same year as D & K's most mysterious working, and is also the year of the Spanish Armada, 1588.

                  Also, a couple of years ago in another article, I suggested that part of the backdrop of Dee and Kelley's wife-swapping was Lurianic Kabbalah and the most likely route of transmission would be from the circle around Rabbi Loew.

                  LVX,

                  Terri

                  > > In terms of the Dee family, I'd also add Arthur: he reputedly witnessed Kelley's transmutation, and wrote a long alchemical treatise himself, as well as being physician to the first Romanov czar.
                  > >

                  > Yeah this occured to me as well. I'll think on it... he did at least serve as Dee's skyer for a very brief time.
                  >
                  > > I'd also add Thomas Kelly, though not much is known about him. He's in England early on (as early as the Danish treasure episode,) and is one of the few people directly addressed by the angels about whom we know little. (The other is Francis Garland, who Ashmole also refers to.)
                  > >

                  > Both good suggestions. :)
                  >
                  > > Finally, I'd add William of Rosenberg. Its his patronage that saves Dee's butt, in a certain sense, and Dee and Kelley ask angelic advice about Rosenberg's wedding. Czech sources also say that it was likely Kelley's getting silver out of Rosenberg's mines in Jilove that likely brought about Kelley's knighthood.
                  > >

                  > Got it. :)
                  >
                  > > I don't supposed you're looking to go much further forward in time than Ashmole and Casaubon? If you did, you'd want to add in Fred Hockley. Then of course there's the exciting saga of the Thomas Rudd and Captain Rudd and whoever they really are, but that's probably not introductory material.
                  > >

                  > Eh, I don't see much need to include Rudd. I will cover some of the Neo-enochian material in this intro (contrasting it with the Dee-purist stuff), so I might go as far forward in time as the penning of Book H (which some suggest may have been written by Westcott...?)
                  >
                  > Thanks for the suggestions! Keep em coming. lol
                  >
                  > LVX
                  > Aaron

                • chicorea2
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 10, 2012
                    Greetings Aaron,

                    Sorry to add an answer to this thread geological eras since it was posted but as recent member (since 1 day in fact) I am browsing all the older messages, devouring every interesting bit of information that I stumble upon. On this context, your proposition of a Cast of Characters made me react and here am I, answering to this post.

                    Yes, I can imagine a couple of additions that I find pertinent to your Cast :

                    First of all, once you say you relate your characters to the Enochian material, I missed two names instrumental on its implementation ant that make a counterpoint to the alleged Kelley dominance on the whole process : Barnabas Saul and Bartholomew Hickman. Hickman even kept working with Dee for the years that preceded Dee's death. So, I would give them some credit on your Cast.

                    Another character that attracts my attention on Dee's trajectory is William Pickering. Why ? Pickering was the diplomat that helped Dee either on his French visit and the Netherlands stay. It's not impossible that Pickering was the responsable for Dee havinf the aztec relic, the black mirror, once Pickering was well related on Charles court and had the habit to receive and give gifts to his protegés. Pickerig must have been instrumental on put in contact Dee and Mercatus, for exemple, as well as the infamous find of the Steganographia copy in Antwerp.

                    Another possible addition could be Gerolamo Carnano. Both were polimaths and seems to have kept exchanging informations and correspondence for the years after their encounter in London, 1552. Some years ago, I was reading the momentous news about a group of scientists that stated that the Voynich Manuscript was just a cyphered document decodable if you applied a technique called Cardano grille, invented by our man in question. The scientist declared also that once the Cardano grille awas apllied to the Voynich text it produces only rubbish, ininteligible text. I kept asking myself : have one of this scientists ever compared it with a document in enochian?

                    Finally, I can understand the inclusion of Raleigh but not the absence of Drake and Frobisher. Drake was an aquitance and a visitor of Mortlake, until they fell apart, coincidentally the same year Dee started to skry seriously.

                    Well, this are just some suggestions and I only advance them with the hope that your wonderful work can reach even longer on the establishment of the whole Dee sphere of relations.

                    My best regards,

                    Chico Madruga

                    --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "AaronL" <kheph777@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings, folks!
                    >
                    > I'm putting together some introductory Enochian material, and I have decided to include an Enochian "who's who." It will include a VERY brief bio (a paragraph or two) for each major player in the Dee/Kelley saga - just something students can reference while they read other historical material about Dee.
                    >
                    > I want to share my list of names so far with you folks, and see if you can think of any impotant names I have missed:
                    >
                    > -Queen Elizabeth I
                    > -Emperor Rudolph II
                    > -John Dee
                    > -Edward Kelley
                    > -Edmund Bonner
                    > -Francis Walsingham
                    > -William Cecil
                    > -Edward Dyer
                    > -Sir Walter Raleigh
                    > -Albert Laski
                    > -Gerardus Mercator
                    > -Méric Casaubon
                    > -Elias Ashmole
                    >
                    > for brevity, I have not included Dee and Kelleys wives or children, nor Queen Mary. And I'm not looking to include every little name that pops up in Dee's journals. But I do want to hit the major cast of characters and any key supporting players. I look forward to your feedback on this list.
                    >
                    > LVX
                    > Aaron

                  • AaronL
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 9, 2012
                      Greetings Chico!

                      Thanks for your suggestions, though I'm afraid it is a bit late to add them into the manuscript - which has already been submitted. I can tell you, though, that Barnabas Saul did make it into the final cut. The others, I'm afraid, will have to be left for the student of Dee's records to discover on their own. I made sure to include everyone that had a direct impact on the Enochian journals, and a few supporting characters besides, but couldn't get absolutely everyone in. I didn't even get Maximilian II in there, though the Hieroglyphic Monad was dedicated to him.

                      LVX
                      Aaron