more on Jews and Magic in Medici Florence

  • Kate Brown
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
      More about this very interesting topic:

      Message forwarded by Kate Brown, dated Wed, 1 Dec 2010, originally sent
      by Archivium (mailto:archivium@...), follows
    • tmbtmbtmbtmbtmbtmb
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
        Thank you, Kate! This is indeed fascinating.

        Does anyone here need a primer on how this might relate to Dee (and/or Kelly, and/or Elizabethan England)?

        LVX,

        Terri

        --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, Kate Brown <sion@...> wrote:

        > More about this very interesting topic:
        >

        > Message forwarded by Kate Brown, dated Wed, 1 Dec 2010, originally sent
        > by Archivium (mailto:archivium@...), follows

        > Carissimi Ficinisti,
        >
        > I would like to thank you all for your helpful comments on my new website at:
        >
        > www.edwardgoldberg.net
        >
        > This focuses on my two forthcoming books:
        >
        > Jews and Magic in Medici Florence: The Secret World of Benedetto Blanis
        >
        > and
        >
        > The Letters of Benedetto Blanis Hebreo to Don Giovanni dei Medici: 1615-21
        >
        > Several of you suggestedâ€"quite rightly!â€"that I should add a concise chronology of the Benedetto Blanis-Don Giovanni dei Medici story, describing who did what to whom when.
        >
        > So, I did exactly that. And while I was at it, I also added a genealogical tree of the Blanis family. You can find all of this on a new page (“Who? What? When?”) at:
        >
        > http://www.edwardgoldberg.net/p/blanis-timeline.html
        >
        > With thanks and best wishes,
        >
        > Ed G.
        >
        > Edward Goldberg
        > Via Pietro Colletta, 25
        > 50136 Firenze, ITALY
        > tel/fax: (39) 055 247 8537
        > e-mail: archivium@...
        > website: www.edwardgoldberg.net
        > =
        >
        > --
        > Kate B
        >
        > London

      • AaronL
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2010
          Sure, prime away! :)

          --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "tmbtmbtmbtmbtmbtmb" <burnst@...> wrote:

          > Thank you, Kate! This is indeed fascinating.
          >
          > Does anyone here need a primer on how this might relate to Dee (and/or Kelly, and/or Elizabethan England)?
          >

          > LVX,
          >
          > Terri
          >

          > --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, Kate Brown <sion@> wrote:
          > >
          > > More about this very interesting topic:
          > >

          > > Message forwarded by Kate Brown, dated Wed, 1 Dec 2010, originally sent
          > > by Archivium (mailto:archivium@), follows

          > > Carissimi Ficinisti,
          > >
          > > I would like to thank you all for your helpful comments on my new website at:
          > >
          > > www.edwardgoldberg.net
          > >
          > > This focuses on my two forthcoming books:
          > >
          > > Jews and Magic in Medici Florence: The Secret World of Benedetto Blanis
          > >
          > > and
          > >
          > > The Letters of Benedetto Blanis Hebreo to Don Giovanni dei Medici: 1615-21
          > >
          > > Several of you suggestedâ€"quite rightly!â€"that I should add a concise chronology of the Benedetto Blanis-Don Giovanni dei Medici story, describing who did what to whom when.
          > >
          > > So, I did exactly that. And while I was at it, I also added a genealogical tree of the Blanis family. You can find all of this on a new page (“Who? What? When?”) at:
          > >
          > > http://www.edwardgoldberg.net/p/blanis-timeline.html
          > >
          > > With thanks and best wishes,
          > >
          > > Ed G.
          > >
          > > Edward Goldberg
          > > Via Pietro Colletta, 25
          > > 50136 Firenze, ITALY
          > > tel/fax: (39) 055 247 8537
          > > e-mail: archivium@
          > > website: www.edwardgoldberg.net
          > > =
          > >
          > > --
          > > Kate B
          > >
          > > London

        • tmbtmbtmbtmbtmbtmb
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2010
            Sure… we talked about this back in December 2008, looking at the odd connection between King Henry VIII and Francesco Giorgi, a Venetian and leading "Christian cabalist" of the early 1500s, and his connections to the Venetian Jewish community which plenty of recent scholars have written about. Frances Yates argues at length (in the Occult and the Elizabethan Age) that Giorgi has a profound influence and Dee, Spenser, and Shakespeare. Because Giorgi, for reasons many debate about, writes a piece in support of Henry VIII's desired divorce and his "right" to marry Anne Boleyn, the assumption becomes that Giorgi's influence on Dee would be welcomed by Queen Elizabeth I, since it places Dee in the line of influence of those Catholics and Italians who have argued for her legitimate.

            Giorgi, meanwhile, had connections to the Medici Bank, and to Florence. Remember the Medici bank is intimately connected to alchemy and the "marrano" and "converse" historic Jewish community, which appears to be mixed with the an immigrant Basque community, but the Medici Bank bank "ends," and the Medicis are kicked out of Italy, in 1494. (Good riddance, imho.)

            The Medicis return to power with Pope Leo X aka the Magnificent, the famous "atheist" pope who bankrupts the papacy but sponsors some of the greatest works of art of all time.

            The Medici influence continues—the magician connected to the Queen of France in Elizabeth's time, Cosimo Ruggieri, is from the Medici family, as is the Queen, Catherine de Medici. Besides a considerable fortune, she brings with her an entourage of close friends and relatives from the Florentine palace of the Medicis. (search archive, March 2009)

            In Dee's time, the best alchemical glass comes from Murano, part of Venice, but the historic financing has ties to the old Medici bank, and Florence. (search archive: Contarini family, Murano, Dec 2008)

            Also, again under Henry VIII, various Giogis/Zorzis serve as couriers between England and Venice—again, see archive December 2008.

            How this net of connections looks, or doesn't, by the time of the early 1600s (the dates in the book Kate mentions), I am not sure. I look forward to learning more about it!

            LVX,

            Terri